Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAH - dew claw pointing the wrong way!!

• 27-10-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Just being drying my retriever off (after a swim) and noticed that his dew claw is sticking out at a right angle :eek: I can feel and edge where it should be attached if that makes sense and it's painful for him when I touch it. Our vet is closed but open tomorrow so I'll be calling first thing. In the meantime I'm going to bandage it up and try and cushion a bit for fear of him tearing it. For anyone who's had this happen what will happen at the vets - do they just clip it off there and then?! God I feel like a tool now celebrating his one year post-OP birthday this week! :( The vet we normally see doesn't work weekends so he's going to be terrified! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

tk123 wrote: »
    Just being drying my retriever off (after a swim) and noticed that his dew claw is sticking out at a right angle :eek: I can feel and edge where it should be attached if that makes sense and it's painful for him when I touch it. Our vet is closed but open tomorrow so I'll be calling first thing. In the meantime I'm going to bandage it up and try and cushion a bit for fear of him tearing it. For anyone who's had this happen what will happen at the vets - do they just clip it off there and then?! God I feel like a tool now celebrating his one year post-OP birthday this week! :( The vet we normally see doesn't work weekends so he's going to be terrified! :(

It might just be dislocated, I've only ever seen a dewclaw snipped once because it was chronically getting stuck in stuff. They may just put on a bit of a splint and hope it heals. If you don't want them to take it off make sure you specify it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks! It was painful for him when I bandaged it :( - fast asleep now though! Dreading going in because they're not all as understanding as our usual vet - he was treated roughly by a vet somewhere else so is very wary/frightened but she's very patient with him etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They might remove the dew claw altogether TK if the nail is broken through the quick. It only takes a few seconds and one or two stitches. Poor laddy but if they go down that road they'll do it under anaesthetic.

ETA: My own lady had prominent dew claws so the vet whipped them off at the same she was being spayed. It didn't knock a bother out of her, she just had a little bandage and vet wrap on each lower leg. It really wasn't a big deal at all.

Well the nail was cracked so the vet cut it back! He has a bandage which should be ok to come off on Tues. So glad I spotted it before it managed to get caught in something at home and break. The vet said I did a great job bandaging it so if the one he got today gets wet she's happy for me to redress it myself. ;) He cut himself when he was 1 and I bought booties on zooplus just to have in case - very funny watching him walking out doing a jig :pac::P

(watching TV:rolleyes:)
    226116.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My fella did something to his a while ago, it was sticking out and he was whinging, I tried to feel it (he's very hairy so hard to see) and he pulled back and I pushed it back into place by accident.
    He whinged for a sec, licked it, and off he went. Saw him lick it a couple of evenings but as there was no blood and he seemed fine with me looking at it, I figured it was ok.
    No probs since then with it, I did ask vet and he said it seemed fine, just to keep it trimmed well.
    Think that was the last bank hols, always the way:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    Think that was the last bank hols, always the way:rolleyes:

Yep and always when it's wet out!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

I'm feeling your frustration on this one. My 8mth pup is going through her bratty adolescence stage & got into a fight with my other dog last night. As a result, her dew claw appears to have come away from
    the quick. Doesn't seem to be bothering her too much, a bit of a lick here & there. Considering a visit to the vet Tuesday morning but will see how she goes. I don't want it to remain sticking out as soon as she hits the heather etc. I've a funny feeling she snagged her dew claw first & blamed the other one who was close by!

Advertisement