Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch cable snapped...why?

• 27-10-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Snapped while I was 25km away from home. Nightmare, but got the bike back home shifting without the clutch. Hard part was making sure there was no need to stop.

Bike is only a 2010 with 14k miles.

I'm slightly worried now about the throttle cable :D ...

Is this common enough? Haven't researched what's involved yet in replacing it, but I will do it myself. I presume it'll be handy enough? It's a Ninja 250R.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Piece of piss to replace. Its nothing major, happened me years ago on me little 125, some laugh on the way home.
    Keep everything lubed (hehe) and you should be grand in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

DO NOT QUOTE SPAM!

1 day ban the next time. No mercy will be shown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Piece of piss to replace. Its nothing major, happened me years ago on me little 125, some laugh on the way home.
    Keep everything lubed (hehe) and you should be grand in the future.

Thanks! Hopefully it'll be easy...not quite sure how to lube them easily tho, after they've been installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

rat_race wrote: »
    Thanks! Hopefully it'll be easy...not quite sure how to lube them easily tho, after they've been installed?

It's easy enough to replace, a ten minute job. It's probably easier to lube if you hold it hanging down and drop the oil in from the top and let gravity do the rest.

Depending on the bike it's a common enough problem, I was going through 3 or 4 clutch cables a year on the Kwacker before I found a stronger cable to use.

It's easy enough to replace, a ten minute job. It's probably easier to lube if you hold it hanging down and drop the oil in from the top and let gravity do the rest.

Depending on the bike it's a common enough problem, I was going through 3 or 4 clutch cables a year on the Kwacker before I found a stronger cable to use.

Thanks. Should I just replace the actual metal cable (i.e., not the housing, etc.)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks. Should I just replace the actual metal cable (i.e., not the housing, etc.)?

The separate cable and housing is more hassle than just buying the correct sized clutch cable, only get one if they don't have the correct size for your bike.

You should oil your cables regularly, or if your lazy just get a spare and replace it as they break.

They usually come as one piece i.e. the cable inside the housing. It costs about €15 to €17 for a clutch cable complete anyway so you're better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

used to have a vfr 400 that was fond of munching up the clutch cables,after the third cable i just started using bike brake cables and a electrical connector block,lasted just as long as the **** cables i was being supplied and no waiting for them to be ordered or delivered:)

used to have a vfr 400 that was fond of munching up the clutch cables,after the third cable i just started using bike brake cables and a electrical connector block,lasted just as long as the **** cables i was being supplied and no waiting for them to be ordered or delivered:)

I find it very odd that the break so regularly? I've never had a cable break on a bicycle, but I've had everything else break due to wear...

Do the throttle cables commonly break too? I guess not as it's probably more gentle...

I find it very odd that the break so regularly? I've never had a cable break on a bicycle, but I've had everything else break due to wear...

Do the throttle cables commonly break too? I guess not as it's probably more gentle...

I can't speak for anyone else obviously, but in the four years I've had the ZX it's never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ive a spare one ran in and tied out of the way on the shadow....simple jobbie swap it over on the side of the road if need be then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You might have to remove the lever if there isn't enough slack on the cable. Clean and lube the lever pivot while you're at it. Put some grease on the nipples at each end of the cable too.

ive a spare one ran in and tied out of the way on the shadow....simple jobbie swap it over on the side of the road if need be then...

That's a very good idea actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Where did it snap, At the nipple?
    Like two wheels good says the nipple should be able to slide freely in the lever, if it binds the cable flexes a lot and this causes failure.
    You could also try a good quality aftermarket cable like Venhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

if it happens often it can be the clutch lever itself that's causing the problem. if its worn where the cable goes through it can nick away at the cable

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Where did it snap, At the nipple?
    Like two wheels good says the nipple should be able to slide freely in the lever, if it binds the cable flexes a lot and this causes failure.
    You could also try a good quality aftermarket cable like Venhill.

Not at the nipple exactly, but about 2 inches down. I will have a proper look when I fit the new one to see any obvious points of friction.

Not sure where I'll get one...will call Bikeworld and see. Really don't want to order from overseas because I'll be 7-10 days out of action!

Thanks for advice so far.

Not at the nipple exactly, but about 2 inches down. I will have a proper look when I fit the new one to see any obvious points of friction.

Not sure where I'll get one...will call Bikeworld and see. Really don't want to order from overseas because I'll be 7-10 days out of action!

Thanks for advice so far.
    You can make your own, you know?
    I got a kit from Louis for 5 euro that has a selection of nipples and cables.
    You pull the old cable out and feed the new cable through with the correct nipples on it and tighten it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

As CJ said, where did it break? near the lever is the most common place IME, I always remove and deburr any sharp edges where the cable inner runs past.....remember cable routing and ensure proper reinstallation routing......Most modern cables have a friction reducing inner liner that doesnt like certain oils/lubricants. A dry graphite lube like what you get for locks can work a treat. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

my fazer has gone thru 2 cables since I got it in feb.

2 strands were holding it together in Gibraltar - that was fun times trying to get to a garage. :/

seems to be the clutch lever unit that is tearing up the cable; just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

current one is a "make your own" special and no issues so far.

kaimera wrote: »
    my fazer has gone thru 2 cables since I got it in feb.

2 strands were holding it together in Gibraltar - that was fun times trying to get to a garage. :/

seems to be the clutch lever unit that is tearing up the cable; just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.
    Thats a common place for failure, where the cable enters the barrel adjuster if the outer cable is too small and sits badly it can wear the inner cable where it passes over the edge of the lever perch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats a common place for failure, where the cable enters the barrel adjuster if the outer cable is too small and sits badly it can wear the inner cable where it passes over the edge of the lever perch.
    yea looks that way for sure.

the inner part looks all torn to **** so a new unit and adjuster might be in order.

when the snow hits and I park her up i'll take a looksie :)

Advertisement