Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Citroen Dispatch van squeals/whistles when clutch is down....?

Options
  • 27-10-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I got my van serviced this week. While driving today (it's a cold day), I hear there's a squealing/screechy whistle when I put the clutch down. Any ideas? The van is a 1.9 diesel, 2000 model Dispatch van. Drives great with no issues usually! Is this minor/serious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Engine? We need to know if you have a pull type clutch or not

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mouse.on.mars

dgt wrote: »
    Engine? We need to know if you have a pull type clutch or not

It's a 2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9 diesel van, manual ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Continuous Squeal/Whistle when clutch pedal is pressed?

Release bearing?

jayok wrote: »
    Continuous Squeal/Whistle when clutch pedal is pressed?

Release bearing?

Expensive? Simple/hard job?

*IF* it is the release bearing, this would mean getting to the clutch. Not familiar with the Citroen Dispatch engine, but normally it's a significant enough job. Also, when you're going that far to strip the gearbox house, etc, out, you'll also replace the clutch. I'd a clutch changed on my Accord for €350 labour and €200 for the parts (which included a release bearing)

Now, if the release bearing is squealing, it's probably out of grease and on it's way out, but it could last the next 100 miles or the next 20,000 miles, you never know! If it fails you won't be able to engage the clutch.

• Advertisement

jayok wrote: »
    *IF* it is the release bearing, this would mean getting to the clutch. Not familiar with the Citroen Dispatch engine, but normally it's a significant enough job. Also, when you're going that far to strip the gearbox house, etc, out, you'll also replace the clutch. I'd a clutch changed on my Accord for €350 labour and €200 for the parts (which included a release bearing)

Now, if the release bearing is squealing, it's probably out of grease and on it's way out, but it could last the next 100 miles or the next 20,000 miles, you never know! If it fails you won't be able to engage the clutch.

Hmm... a reputable mechanic would be able to know what it was instantly, yes?

If it's not the clutch release thing, any other better case scenarios?

Hmm... a reputable mechanic would be able to know what it was instantly, yes?

If it's not the clutch release thing, any other better case scenarios?

I would expect any decent mechanic to be thinking along these lines. A pretty common mechanical thing, I would think.

I assume you are getting the whistling all the time while the clutch is pressed? If so, it's within the drve area... it'll be around the gearbox I'm afraid.

If you only get it *as* you press the clutch pedal, it could be a master/slave cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

Its the release bearing

Alucan wrote: »
    Its the release bearing

Any Waterford area mobile mechanics fancy helping me out and getting some work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Is indeed the release bearing.

What's the miles? Clutch getting very tight? More than likely the original and needs changing.

A straight foreward job, I do my own work so I haven't a clue how much it would cost in a garage. Looking in excess of €500 inc parts as an educated guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Not had this in recent years but have had a really stupid issues with a slightly loose "fan" belt before, all was fine when there was a load on the engine but as soon as the clutch was depressed the belt would slip with a screeching noise.

So probably miles off here but just check the tension on the belt on the alternator just in case its something that simple.

eirator wrote: »
    Not had this in recent years but have had a really stupid issues with a slightly loose "fan" belt before, all was fine when there was a load on the engine but as soon as the clutch was depressed the belt would slip with a screeching noise.

So probably miles off here but just check the tension on the belt on the alternator just in case its something that simple.

cheers.. you're speaking french to me, but that'll be good information to have on hand!

So I'm assuming it's not something that'll go away.... Bot odd it just appeared out of nowhere? There was no build up?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Happened on my xsara, clutch got really heavy and it rattled with the clutch down, I only got the car cheap so I drove it till it collapsed (about 1000 miles after the rattle started) it took the clutch with it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Happened on my xsara, clutch got really heavy and it rattled with the clutch down, I only got the car cheap so I drove it till it collapsed (about 1000 miles after the rattle started) it took the clutch with it.

Bit of an update - I drove it a little bit this afternoon, and to me it sounds like a whistley kettle, with a few changes in pitch here and there. When I drive though in say 3rd or 4th gear up to around 25mph, the whistle is still there.
    Is this definitely still likely to be the clutch release bearing, or something worse/less serious?

Advertisement