Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best network for iPhone 5

• 27-10-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

I'm going to buy an iPhone 5 soon, what network should I go through?

Three are horrible to deal with, have okay signal, but my iPhone 4 I had to keep toggling airplane mode to get 3G signal. Upside of them was 20 euro a month pay as you go with more internet than I could use, and of course free texts to everyone.

I was looking at vodafone and they seem to have nothing going for them.. at all? Except for the fact that I could get an iphone for 49 euro if my father were to move from a 20 euro to 30 euro a month plan. They obviously won't unlock this phone, and I would spend more than the price of the phone over the first year trying to get a decent amount of internet from them.

O2 have unlimited texts for 20 a month, but it looks like you don't get any internet, which isn't good at all.

I've got a temporary 48 sim at the moment, unlimited calls and texts to everyone for 10 euro a month, and 5gb of internet for 20 a month. I can only assume that the internet is probably terrible, or there is some catch, but as it stands 48 are tied with three, except I cant comment on the quality of internet on 48, or indeed the quality of internet from 3 on the iPhone 5.

Billpay seems like I would be paying a huge amount more than buying the phone outright and paying 20 a month for prepay.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Three are horrible to deal with, have okay signal, but my iPhone 4 I had to keep toggling airplane mode to get 3G signal. Upside of them was 20 euro a month pay as you go with more internet than I could use, and of course free texts to everyone.

I was looking at vodafone and they seem to have nothing going for them.. at all? Except for the fact that I could get an iphone for 49 euro if my father were to move from a 20 euro to 30 euro a month plan. They obviously won't unlock this phone, and I would spend more than the price of the phone over the first year trying to get a decent amount of internet from them.

O2 have unlimited texts for 20 a month, but it looks like you don't get any internet, which isn't good at all.

I've got a temporary 48 sim at the moment, unlimited calls and texts to everyone for 10 euro a month, and 5gb of internet for 20 a month. I can only assume that the internet is probably terrible, or there is some catch, but as it stands 48 are tied with three, except I cant comment on the quality of internet on 48, or indeed the quality of internet from 3 on the iPhone 5.

Billpay seems like I would be paying a huge amount more than buying the phone outright and paying 20 a month for prepay.

You would know best for your usage. eMobile and tesco Mobile have good deals as well sim-only, which would mean spending a lot on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yeah three or 48 seem like my best options for sim only, as they're the only ones with enough internet and texts for 20 per month.

I think getting the upgrade iPhone 5 and a dodgy ebay imei unlock will be the answer to this for me.

Does anyone have any experience with the speed of 48's internet? My guess is that it's an extremely restricted version of O2s 3G network, so not very good at all.... and now I think i've sorted this out for myself, three it is!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think getting the upgrade iPhone 5 and a dodgy ebay imei unlock will be the answer to this for me.

surely, if you upgrade you then tied to that network for the length of the contract.....so why would you need the unlock?

Also, can iOS6 be unlocked yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yeah three or 48 seem like my best options for sim only, as they're the only ones with enough internet and texts for 20 per month.

Does anyone have any experience with the speed of 48's internet? My guess is that it's an extremely restricted version of O2s 3G network, so not very good at all.... and now I think i've sorted this out for myself, three it is!

I wouldn't rely on getting an unlock for iPhone 5.....

worst case scenario I'd have to dispute the paypal charge, get the 80 quid back then sell the locked iphone on adverts and buy an unlocked one outright.. but hopefully I won't have to do that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Actually 48 are tied to O2 not 3.

Actually 48 are tied to O2 not 3.

Tied in my own ranking between services provided, I know 48 us O2s network. I meant tied as in equal. It's not very clear that I meant that from my post though

Advertisement