Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel deals

• 27-10-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Winter is here I reckon time to start lighting the fire again - anyone know of any good deals on fuel in the county ? Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm not shilling (before I get banned for doing so!!!), but Ultima Oil are fairly good, as are O'Neill Fuels and Mooney Fuels. Shop around, and you'll find a good place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Perhaps post wherebouts you're located to get the best advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gunslinger99

Thanks guys I suppose anywhere between bray and Arklow would be helpful.will be stocking up over the weekend so I'll post up what i get and we could maybe compare prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Glanbia rathdrum and ashford very good deals on coal and briquettes, logs not so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Am out picking up fuel in arklow will let you know if there are any deals

• Advertisement

I buy logs from a guy, ash, beech and silver burch, beautiful dry seasoned timber, collect for best price, dont know if i can put his no up here, but pm if you want some

As far as coal goes, for good quality, long burning, non smokeless coal (the only one to have if law allows) after trying most of the fuel shops and merchants, glanbia rathdrum and ashford are the cheapest and best eg 3 40 kg bags of good coal and 2 bord na mona briquettes €50 cheaper for quantity. They also do cheap coal €12 a 40kg bag and if you have a shed you can mix cheap and good coal and it does last longer again.

Also i know another guy that does beautiful dry hand cut turf cheaply, great in a stove or fabulous in a back boiler fire like mine. Really warm stuff. Im burning a fire 10hours + a day costing around €25 to €30 a week mixing coal, briquttes split with an axe to light only, turf and sticks.

Put €140 kerosene in august, used only for kids to school in morning. Im checking my tank, €200 = 8 inches in tank, have used less than an inch so far

Thanks Wicklowandy that's great info.just got a back boiler so hence the interest in good fuel. Fuel depot in Arklow supplied us today : 2 x 20kgs of coal ; 1 bag of logs 4 x bnm briquttes ; 1 bag of turf ; kindling & firelighters = € 43 - seems like good value

Thanks Wicklowandy that's great info.just got a back boiler so hence the interest in good fuel. Fuel depot in Arklow supplied us today : 2 x 20kgs of coal ; 1 bag of logs 4 x bnm briquttes ; 1 bag of turf ; kindling & firelighters = € 43 - seems like good value

Smokeless coal?

Aenaes wrote: »

Smokeless coal?
    Yep smokeless, went through a bag of it already am a bit disappointed with it. I've been told to try anthricite so that might last longer

Yep smokeless, went through a bag of it already am a bit disappointed with it. I've been told to try anthricite so that might last longer

Are you using a closed fire like a stove/range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I buy my coal from a place just outside of Arklow on the road that goes past Woodlands. They're up there about a mile on the right in a yard.

They sell the old smokie coal as there just outside the town boundaries and it great. The good stuff is €17 a bag and it's really burns hot. They have other coal there that I've had mixed results with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Dont use Anthracite in an open fire only in an enclosed stove wont burn in an open fire

For a back boiler you need smoky polish coal, mixed with sticks and turf.

Buy by 40kg bags only for value, good coal costs 15.50 approx collected, 17 delivered. If you burn only coal, bank on 2-3 bags a week minimum.

Make it cheaper and warmer on yourself; buy good hardwood sticks and turf. A lot of lads are selling these now to make extra money, so think twice before paying fuel merchant or shop prices for them. Also think about buying your coal by the 25 bags or ton (40 bags) if you have room and can afford it, you know your going to burn it and can save approx €120 on a ton if u shop around.

I burn approx 1 bag, no more than 1.5 on a very cold week, with logs and turf. My 20 yr old house 1200 sq ft with average insulation is warm enough for small children, and wife not used to the mountains and is heated for less than €35 week, taking into account all fuel including kerosene for warm first thing in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Just got 3 bags of turf and a bag of wood from a man in a van in arklow for a tenner. Pm for number.

The guy up my way is the same price, its hard to beat it. Mix it with a small bit of good coal and it'll be lovely.

You cant beat good dry turf. If youre in rathdrum/glenealy/avoca i can pass on number of turf and log man if anyone needs it

Im emptying my bags of turf into an old clean wheelybin at the back door. Havent got a dry shed so it means turf is ready for the fire.

Advertisement