Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changed days after maternity leave

• 27-10-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My wife is on maternity leave. Previously she worked a three day week with set days every week and all was well with this as we had a little one in creche for the 3 days and only had to pay for part time , 3 days.

Now after having our second she is being told that they will not set her days of work when she returns.
    This means she might have to work saturdays which wont work as no creche or anyone available to mind them and we would have to pay creche for full time as days would be changing.

Now that is not the concern of the employer but I was wondering, can they do this? I thought and hoped that you would have to be brought back on same terms as when she left. I just cant find out if the regulation extends to the days of work. She would have to leave otherwise.
    Anyone have experience with this. I realise legal advice is not available here as per charter, just if anyone had a similar experience. . .?
    Any response appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Read her contract of employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Hi,
    My wife is on maternity leave. Previously she worked a three day week with set days every week and all was well with this as we had a little one in creche for the 3 days and only had to pay for part time , 3 days.

Now after having our second she is being told that they will not set her days of work when she returns.
    This means she might have to work saturdays which wont work as no creche or anyone available to mind them and we would have to pay creche for full time as days would be changing.

Now that is not the concern of the employer but I was wondering, can they do this? I thought and hoped that you would have to be brought back on same terms as when she left. I just cant find out if the regulation extends to the days of work. She would have to leave otherwise.
    Anyone have experience with this. I realise legal advice is not available here as per charter, just if anyone had a similar experience. . .?
    Any response appreciated.

See tje returning to work section http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

She has been with the company 14 years and as such her contract was for full time employment so things changed. Also has no idea where it is to confirm details... would info like this situation be in it?
    From googling around, there seems to be a stipulation that a contract of employment can be verbal or based on the situation of the job. My taking in this is that her contract was changed to be 3 set days a week. Or am I just pushing it. . .

Advertisement