Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greek Far Right - Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

• 27-10-2012 10:19pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The economic and social crisis that is devastating Greece has taken its toll in many ways - one being the huge social unrest and civil disorder the country has seen over the past year. But another, perhaps much more worrying development is happening - the rise of a neo-Nazi far right fascist political party called Golden Dawn.:(

Their symbol looks very like the Nazi swastika and they have a virulently anti-immigrant stance. Remember, the Nazi party started out small too in a Germany economically crippled after World War 1.

Link:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/26/golden-dawn-greece-far-right?newsfeed=true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Didn't Greece invent the gay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

My God that's a long article. Thankfully you summarised it in 4 sentences, or else I may have had to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Didn't Greece invent the gay?

No, I think it was the gays who invented it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

So by not liking Germany,they become more German?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Rothmans wrote: »
    No, I think it was the gays who invented it.

No that was Grease.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Better them then the Communists

Who finished slightly behind Golden Dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Did they make much of an impact at the last General election? The media could be exaggerating their growth and popularity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Golden Dawn eh?

Hear about them on 60 Minutes, Hans?

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Skyfall

So I hear youre racist now father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

is this run to da hills second account?

• Advertisement

Golden Dawn eh?

Hear about them on 60 Minutes, Hans?

;)

Time Magazine actually

Skyfall wrote: »
    Time Magazine actually

:D:D:D

:D:D:D

Dr. Skyfall prescribes you two testes and a watching of Die Hard this Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Was it the immigrants that made the Greeks not pay their taxes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Humbert Humbert

*Grabs popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

and the greek far right is equaly balanced out by the far left..they have plenty of anarchists/communists that will kick the sh1te out of the fascists.

Its always been a banana republic.Do you rememebr the english aeroplane enthusaists that were arrested for spying...because they took photo's of combat planes,set up as exibhits at an air show?couldnt make it up :pac:
    The legal repercussions of the hobby were dramatically shown in November 2001 when fourteen aircraft spotters (twelve British, two Dutch) were arrested by Greek police after being observed at an open day at the Greek Air Force base at Kalamata. They were charged with espionage, and faced a possible 20-year prison sentence if found guilty. After being held for six weeks, they were eventually released on £9,000 bail, and the charges reduced to the misdemeanour charge of illegal information collection. Confident of their innocence they returned for their trial in April 2002 and were stunned to be found guilty, with eight of the group sentenced to three years, the rest for one year. At their appeal a year later all were acquitted
    from here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_spotting

Skyfall wrote: »
    Dr. Skyfall prescribes you two testes and a watching of Die Hard this Christmas

But I have balls, Hans. Keeps your Hans away from my testes. And of course I'm going to watch Die Hard you Nazi bastard. It's Christmas. It's the time of year for Die Hard and Bad Santa and Cop Killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Rothmans wrote: »
    My God that's a long article. Thankfully you summarised it in 4 sentences, or else I may have had to read it.

Not to be, like, a total square n shizzle but it's a well-written article. Worth reading.

But I have balls, Hans. Keeps your Hans away from my testes. And of course I'm going to watch Die Hard you Nazi bastard. It's Christmas. It's the time of year for Die Hard and Bad Santa and Cop Killer.

Following the doctors orders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd still take them over Fianna Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Cants.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

is this run to da hills second account?

Nope.:D

I'm not into tinfoil hat fashion... :pac:

...but I do think the rise of these neo-Nazis in Greece - and also in countries like Russia, the Ukraine and the Baltic states is something to keep an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I for one welcome our new Greek Nazi overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Alot of what Is normally considered unacceptable can become acceptable in times of shortage, be it food or money etc.

Hitler went from a homeless artist to the most powerful man in Europe by feeding on the fear and hatred of the Jews in vienna ....

There has been a rise in support for 'alternative ' right wing groups all over Europe with the leaders of the groups pouncing on the fear, anger and desire to blame somebody for changes for the worse.

Immigrants are easy prey in these cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I could be wrong but didn't the Nazi party start out much less ostentatious? These guys are so obviously bad that I can't see them gaining any traction.

How many people knowingly join the dark side? This is why Star Wars never made much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Now, Germans getting upset, yes, time to be worried.

Greece getting upset?

those guys with the tutus, tights and pompoms as a soldier uniform?

hmmmm.

http://www.viddler.com/v/fa3950e5

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The frightening thing is the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn thugs seem to have a lot of support from the police forces in Greece.

As well as being anti-immigrant they are homophobic, racist anti-intellectual and want to curtail womens' rights.

I would not want to be an immigrant in Greece these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I could be wrong but didn't the Nazi party start out much less ostentatious? These guys are so obviously bad that I can't see them gaining any traction.

How many people knowingly join the dark side? This is why Star Wars never made much sense.

The big problem is that they are gaining traction. From reports on the BBC the other day the police are actually supporting Golden Dawn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19976841

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Actually wouldn't it be across the Irish Sea rather than the Atlantic given the Mr Marx is currently residing in Highgate Cemetery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Long but fascinating article. And not surprising. When there's little hope, and it is damn grim in Greece right now, people will listen to and follow almost anything.
    It was obviously a different political situation, but do you think there would have been that much violence on both sides in NI back in the day if there was some sort of future to work towards? H

Advertisement