Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools that take PGDE Students (Secondary)

• 27-10-2012 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there would be able to help me out. I've recently started my PGDE with Hibernia and am due to go on a weeks observation in Jan and then 4 weeks teaching 12 hours (Irish and Geography) in April. Does anyone know of any schools that take student teachers on? I've applied literally everywhere in my area (North Tipp and Limerick) but havent heard anything back. Really need to get something sorted. Does anyone have advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Postgraduates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

Maybe visit a few schools in person. It's harder to say no to a face than to a letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You'll probably have to follow up your enquiries with a phone call or calling in person. Also if there are any schools you left out because you thought they might be tough schools to work in etc, you should probably consider them. It would stand to you in the long run.

You also might not have heard from schools because they have already taken on students from the teacher training courses (of which there are many) in UL.

UL find placements for their students rather than the students doing it themselves so a lot of the schools probably have taken their quota from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ejak1

prancer wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there would be able to help me out. I've recently started my PGDE with Hibernia and am due to go on a weeks observation in Jan and then 4 weeks teaching 12 hours (Irish and Geography) in April. Does anyone know of any schools that take student teachers on? I've applied literally everywhere in my area (North Tipp and Limerick) but havent heard anything back. Really need to get something sorted. Does anyone have advice?

Just wondering what you mean by 'applied everywhere'. Does it mean that you sent in a CV or rang up? Sending in CVs could mean that schools just add it to the mounting pile of Cvs already submitted to schools by people looking for substitute work. Try to ring a school and say that it is for teaching practice. Wait till you get to speak to a principal or deputy principal. Email them personally through their email addresses on the school's website to request a meeting and then follow up with a phonecall if you don't hear back. Hopefully this will help in some way. If you have tried these methods already, is there any way that the college could help you?
    good luck in the search.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

As this Hibernia course is new it's possible schools don't know what exactly you're looking for. If you don't spell it out for them the may thing you're a PDE student for 2013 - 2014 who's just applying very early. Calling in person would be the best. And try to go outside the UL area to schools that wouldn't already have people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭loveofliving

prancer wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hey Prancer,

Did you get sorted?:)

I am hoping to start this course in October. How have you been finding it?

Could you give me some information on the course structure if you start in October, i.e what actually happens in October when you start, is there an immediate week of class or something or when is the first time you've to do something like that? Also when exactly are the three teaching practice blocks? Really need to know all this before I tell my employer...

Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭prancer

Hey I did get sorted in the end :) The course is actually quite good it can get boring but the only thing I will say is make sure you are in the group that suits you for onsites (one saturday a month for subject teaching). If your starting in october, your TP should be around March or April- the will tell you on induction but I think as soon as you have your interview confirmed start applying to schools. Even just inquire about it now. They left it way too late to tell us about it and UL and everyone else had taken up places so just organise it early.

Normally there are two tutorials a week- in the evening time and then once a month until TP you have an onsite that teaches you how to teach and about your subjects i.e. the curriculum. You don't start the course until the end of october its all online until december when you have first onsite and then its once a month from them. My TP blocks are 4 weeks in April 2013, 5 weeks in November 2013 and 5 weeks then in Feb 2014 and then the course finishes that July. If Irish is one of your subjects you have to go to Waterford Gaeltacht for 5 days. Not much else to tell, if you've any other questions let me know!!

Advertisement