Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too young to start a pension?

Options
  • 28-10-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone.

I'm 22 in the process of going for a mortgage over the next 6 months.

I need advice on a pension, is it too early to start one? And if not what type should I be after.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's never too early.

Get proper advice, and pay particular attention to minimisation of charges, and investment funds appropriate to your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Start straight away .... Never to early, as above get proper advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I would spend the next 6 months re-searching it if I was you that's far more important. (possibly the 2nd biggest financial decision after buying a house)

Learn about execution only services, the various providers and their products, charges and how they work.

With the levy and the lowest charges (usually 1% although some products are only 0.75%). you need to be returning at least 1.6% to be breaking even (and that's before inflation).

You also need to consider the fact that

a) you're locking your money away until your 60

b) the possibility of tax relief being reduced on contributions

c) The possibility of the 25% TFLS on retirement being withdrawn long before you retire.

Do up some spreadsheets and compare products.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Beware that some fees can account for 30% of your contributions according to recent reports on the news.

What a rip of some products are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

uberalles wrote: »
    Beware that some fees can account for 30% of your contributions according to recent reports on the news.

What a rip of some products are.

It works out about 17.6% if you go execution only and assuming a 1% charge and a 3% growth rate (reasonable unlike the pension companies 6% rate).

As i said I think it's important to educate yourself properly.

Edit:

Just to add if the levy stays at 0.6% for the duration, and you didnt go execution only and thus had a 5% charge on contributions and the same assumptions as above this could account for about 33% of your contributions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement