Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody have a 4S with three??

• 28-10-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Allrite everyone, ill be updrading from the samsung S2 to the 4S pretty soon and will prob be looking to go with three as there giving the best value for money both on the handset price and monthly bill price.

Main queery here is the internet signal with them as I drive for a living and heavily rely on maps to get me in and out of places im not familiar with. Is it reliable, any good in yere experiences?

Im with meteor on the samsung S2 at the moment and have nothing but grief from day one. I have never established weather this is due to the handset or due to the internet data but I strongly suspect its the network as there has been no other technical issues with the phone ever.

Anyone's 2 cent would be great here,

Cheers in advance everyone.. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I assume you're talking about the iPhone 4S. I've had one with Three for about a year now. I'm on a €40/month plan which includes unlimited data, which is handy. I can also use it as a personal hotspot to connect up my laptop when I'm somewhere without wifi. Anyways, the instances of my connection going slow have been few and far between and always short lived.

In terms of maps, I've always found it handy and reliable but when I'm driving, it's merely a backup to my car's sat nav. Although it's called into action occasionally as I haven't updated my sat nav's map in a long time and so it can be wrong in places unlike the iPhone's map.

However, I'm still using iOS 5.1.1 which has Google Maps whereas I assume all new iPhones will have iOS 6 which uses Apple's new map and I believe this map feature has not been as well received by users as Google Maps.

Most of my use has been in and around Dublin. I did it have in down in Kerry a couple of times and there were stints where the network slowed up but I suspect these instances were not limited to Three.

Also I've used a GPS golf app regularly on courses all over the country and it has never showed any signs of slowing up or stopping then.

Best of luck with whatever you choose and if there's anything else I might be able to answer for you, just ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

I assume you're talking about the iPhone 4S. I've had one with Three for about a year now. I'm on a €40/month plan which includes unlimited data, which is handy. I can also use it as a personal hotspot to connect up my laptop when I'm somewhere without wifi. Anyways, the instances of my connection going slow have been few and far between and always short lived.

In terms of maps, I've always found it handy and reliable but when I'm driving, it's merely a backup to my car's sat nav. Although it's called into action occasionally as I haven't updated my sat nav's map in a long time and so it can be wrong in places unlike the iPhone's map.

However, I'm still using iOS 5.1.1 which has Google Maps whereas I assume all new iPhones will have iOS 6 which uses Apple's new map and I believe this map feature has not been as well received by users as Google Maps.

Most of my use has been in and around Dublin. I did it have in down in Kerry a couple of times and there were stints where the network slowed up but I suspect these instances were not limited to Three.

Also I've used a GPS golf app regularly on courses all over the country and it has never showed any signs of slowing up or stopping then.

Best of luck with whatever you choose and if there's anything else I might be able to answer for you, just ask. :)

That doesen't sound at all bad, yeah I meant the Iphone 4S, ive opted for this as i hear the iso6 on the iphone 5 has been having a lot of bugs and a lot of the apps in the app store are not yet programmed fully to be received by the iphone 5. Anyway, its functionality im after, and i think the 4s will do the job. ive limited interest in gaming and camers ect, I really need it as a functional phone that will not let me down for emails, maps, and such.

I live and work between clare and galway, and the samsung s2 has been rubbish in both places. i also lived in dublin for 6 months last year, and it was equally as bad, so Im really steering away from meteor with my next purchase.

IS the Iphone limited to 3G for signal, or will it go as high as high speed (represented as a capital H in the address bar, top of screen?)

Why has the new iphone maps been badly received by previous google maps users?

Thanks again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

subscriber wrote: »

Thanks again

Because they dont work, the map data is off. So much so that one of the heads of apple pretty much told people to go back to using Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Axwell wrote: »
    Because they dont work, the map data is off. So much so that one of the heads of apple pretty much told people to go back to using Google maps.

Pretty bad form, they should really have all the bugs sorted before they start releasing new models into the public domain..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The bug in that case is with their maps app and the information it uses, not with the device itself. The main reason other apps have issues with the iPhone 5 is because of some issues that releasing iOS 5 brought out in terms of backwards compatibility and features they changed. Also they also changed the screen size and some apps dont have dynamic resolution to cater for this and dont look right on the larger screen.

• Advertisement

subscriber wrote: »
    IS the Iphone limited to 3G for signal, or will it go as high as high speed (represented as a capital H in the address bar, top of screen?)

Thanks again

High speed? I can't really help you there. I haven't the slightest clue. In fact, that's the first time I've ever heard of a capital H in the address bar. My basic understanding of how it works for me is that when it's not using wifi it's using 3G. But that doesn't mean that it's not possible and I just haven't noticed/availed of a higher speed signal.

As for the maps, there were a few teething problems which I assume they have sorted out, such as marking Airfield in Dundrum as an airport. :rolleyes:
    Here's a comparison of the new maps app (left) and Google Maps (right). Doesn't seem too bad but I'd prefer to stick with Google Maps:
    Apple--maps-google-maps-comparison.png

Oh, and something to be aware of, with Three, listening to your voicemail is not included as part of your plan, so those calls are added to your bill. Not sure if this is the case with other providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

My two cents,I have the 4s with three for six months and am getting on great. Generally 3G is fine but don't gave to rely on it a huge amount except that I have recently moved to rathangan(countryside) and am waiting for bb next week. I have been really impressed with the 3G as I'm able to stream rte player,tunein radio,boards,maps,fb, emails etc. it really has been a god send while I'm waiting for bb and will prob leave my iPhone on 3G when I get bb in so it's not using,and I also have unlimited data.

Thumbs up from me,but I really can't say what it will be like your end of the country. Would you go into the Galway Clare region thread and ask in there?

Advertisement