Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perplexed with digital anomalies!

Options
  • 28-10-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I retuned both TV's again today.

One is a Sony KDL-32EX401 in the conservatory connected to a massive loft aerial with 95-97% signal. The lounge TV is a Samsung PS42B451B2W.

The house is in Belfast West around 3-4 miles from the Black Mountain transmitter and both aerials point directly to this transmitter. The Divis transmitter is also nearby.

I originally was informed that to receive digital RTE I would need a Freeview HD tuner for each TV. To my surprise all RTE TV and Radio stations appeared in channels 800 - 820 but only on the Samsung TV. Channel 814 displays RTE2 HD which is magnificent compared to the dodgy old analogue airwaves! The Sony DID NOT discover any RTE channels...

which lead me to the conclusion that both inbuilt digital tuners are different. This lead to to think the Samsung has a HD Freeview tuner EXCEPT it didn't find the BBC HD, ITV HD or CH4 HD channels. I am quite certain the Samsung does not have a Freeview HD tuner although I read elsewhere RTE2 HD can be broadcast using MPEG4 over standard DVB-T. This could then mean this is why RTE2 HD can be viewed but not the other HD channels BUT why would the Sony not detect any channels?

Am I receiving Saorview on the Samsung? The Samsung operates from an exterior small gain aerial pointing the opposite direction to the Clermont Cairn transmitter in Co. Omeath!

I have used a full day trying to work all this out. What a shambles and god help the vulnerable people who are forking out fortunes on over priced HD Boxes and/or installation charlatans to get their RTE back on! :mad::confused::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If you're receiving all the channels in this link (incl RTÉ2 HD) then you're picking up the Saorview DVB-T/MPEG-4 signal (Clermont Carn UHF 52?)

FreeviewHD receivers are required for the UK HD channels and NImux and will also receive the Saorview channels if you have coverage.

The Sony should have the DVB-T/MPEG-4 tuner also, have you tried it on the exterior aerial? Have you tried the Samsung with loft aerial? What signal are you receiving with the loft aerial that displays 95-97% strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nocturnal74

Yes Cush, on the Samsung I receive every one of those channels on that link!

As the Sony is 'nailed' to the wall in the conservatory I won't get a chance to take it off and bring it into the living room to try it with the exterior aerial, meanwhile...

I brought down my 22" LG M227WDP computer/TV hybrid into the living room and plugged the exterior aerial in. I left it on auto-tune and it picked up RTE channels but not RTE2 HD and the LG stored what the RTE channels in a different sequence in 2 separate blocks of channels! I suspect the Sony will do the same!

I brought the LG back up into my bedroom, plugged a portable amplified aerial into it and it could not display any of the RTE channels so obviously it is the exterior aerial which is around 3 metres higher than the loft aerial which can only receive the RTE signal. I am fairly certain the Sony will be the same with the loft aerial. Whilst the loft aerial is around 2metres in length and receives a very strong signal from the local Belfast transmitter I don't think it can receive the signal from Clermont Carn. I will try the Sony tomorrow night anyhow and I've had enough of this for a Saturday at 1am! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I brought down my 22" LG M227WDP computer/TV hybrid into the living room and plugged the exterior aerial in. I left it on auto-tune and it picked up RTE channels but not RTE2 HD and the LG stored what the RTE channels in a different sequence in 2 separate blocks of channels! I suspect the Sony will do the same!

Regarding the LG, the Irish DTT standard uses 2 different levels of MPEG-4 decoding - MPEG-4 L3.0 for the SD channels and L4.0 for RTÉ2 HD. Certain MPEG-4 STBs (such as the Sky Picnic box and others) were unable to decode decode and display RTÉ2 HD because they didn't have MPEG-4 L4.0 decoding. This appears to be the case with the LG also.

I suspect the Sony will be OK, they (Sony) have had proper decoding built-in to their TVs since early 2008.

If you use UK as the setup country the Saorview channels will be stored in the 800s (as out of region/country channels) per the UK DTT spec. If you use Ireland as the install country the Saorview channels will appear on the guide first with the UK channels following straight after (9 upwards) but in no proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

What a shambles and god help the vulnerable people who are forking out fortunes on over priced HD Boxes and/or installation charlatans to get their RTE back on! :mad::confused::(

HD boxes are not overpriced., Around £30 on Tesco ebay outlet. Compare this with €50 in Ireland for a Saoeview box which is DVB-T only.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

£30 converted to Euro and then Irish VAT isn't much different to Saorview €50 (though at the minute €60 to €90 is common, prices will drop). That's also about the lowest UK price.

Both are HD. A Freeview HD box is pointless unless you get reliable UK Freeview HD reception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Watty, that is unfair. The £30 includes UK VAT. You can compare pre VAT prices, or post VAT prices, but adding VAT twice is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I wasn't suggesting adding VAT twice. Just pointing out that ours is higher.

Even when difference in VAT is taken into account very often the UK is cheaper. But it's not always as much cheaper as people may think due to not comparing comparable retailers or VAT or same model.

DVB-T vs DVB-T2 is much more minor cost difference than MPEG2 SD and MPEG4 HD.

But likely by end of 2013 the DVB-T only tuners will only be stock dumping and cheap Chinese sellers. DVB-T2 will be standard, hence the decision to upgrade Saorview Certification.

Advertisement