Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help..Student Visa....

Options
  • 28-10-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

As the title suggest,I need a little help with a student visa.I have done a 2 year working holiday visa in Australia before,now I am back in collage studying Quantity Surveying,as part of my course I need to do a years placement next year.
    I am thinking about doing it in Oz.I contacted VisaFirst and they told me that I would qualify for a visa that would enable me to work.They said they couldn't tell me if I had to get a employer before I left or anything else about the visa until I pay the deposit.
    Has anyone heard of this type of visa?the immi website is very avgue towards student visas....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Do you not have a Careers Office in Uni?

Ask them for advice/information on your work placement options. With the stuffed economy the way it is, I can't imagine this is the first time someone has thought of this plan.

I would be reluctant to hand over any money to Visa First before they first provide you with more information on exactly what type of Visa they can get you and how it will work.

AFAIK student visas only cover you to work 22 hours per week in Australia and you must be registered to study in a recognised Australian institution so unless you're Irish college has ties with an Oz uni, I can't see the traditional student visa working.

Alternatively...have you considered Canada? QS'ing is pretty high in demand over there at the moment I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't see how a years placement would qualify for a student visa.
    It's basically a year out of college - students visa allow you to come to australia to attend college, kind of the opposite you what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't see how a years placement would qualify for a student visa.
    It's basically a year out of college - students visa allow you to come to australia to attend college, kind of the opposite you what you want.

Yes that's what I was thinking.I don't plan on paying VisaFirst a cent,I want to find out as much as I can about the visa and then apply myself online.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

It looks like it might be a 442 visa
    http://www.immi.gov.au/students/sponsored/otv/

I think that first you should contact the relevant Uni here and get some recommendations
    http://www.aiqs.com.au/site.php?id=528
    Someone should be able to give you a good idea on who to approach here for placement and if its possible coming from Ireland.
    You'll need to get an idea of what hours you can work as that first site sees to suggest 40hr per fortnight. And then budget/ save accordingly before you get here

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

I am currently on a student visa. You can work 20 hours a week but I have mates on abn working normal....they found a course that is just Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I am working 40 hours a week now as it's summer but in March I go back to only being able to work 20 a week.

DO NOT PAY VISA FIRST. I applied for my visa and got it within 10 hours.

• Advertisement

I am currently on a student visa. You can work 20 hours a week but I have mates on abn working normal....they found a course that is just Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I am working 40 hours a week now as it's summer but in March I go back to only being able to work 20 a week.

DO NOT PAY VISA FIRST. I applied for my visa and got it within 10 hours.
    If you don't mind me asking,what are you studying?How are you funding your studies with only 20 hours a week of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

I am studying a masters in accounting....very tough with 20 hours but now I can work full time until May 18.

It's tough money wise dude, but mainly due to the price of the courses.

I am studying a masters in accounting....very tough with 20 hours but now I can work full time until May 18.

It's tough money wise dude, but mainly due to the price of the courses.
    Are you studying in an Australian university.I was hoping to work full time as a placement student.What class of visa are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The visa he is on is not applicable for you. You aren't looking for a student visa, as you won't be studying.

Mellor wrote: »
    The visa he is on is not applicable for you. You aren't looking for a student visa, as you won't be studying.

That's what I was thinking,I probably won't qualify as I have the 2 year WHV done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement