Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I trane UFC.....any muppets say that on nights out

• 28-10-2012 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

it used to be a lot of lads claiming they were boxers outside nightclubs to look hard. now it seems they all say they trane ufc( even tho mma is the name of the sport)and ufc is the name of an organisatioun

anyone come across douchbags like this on your nights out, usually wearing affliction or tapout shirts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Do you mean train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Hate them lads there absolute bell ends.....I do UFC....yea how does Dana take it...who's Dana? Gob****es I've seen a load of them lads beat up here (dublin) and when I lived in tenerife....one lad squared up to the bouncer of our bar he was giving a warning..gone out for the count the bouncer was world champion kick boxer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Yes, clowns of the highest order.

There is nothing more boring than some welly, waxing lyrical about UFC/MMA and how much safer and skillful it is than boxing.

-"Aw man did you see w@nker A batter w@nker B last night?"

-"No, i read a book, now fck off"

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

Do you mean train?

thats the joke mang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nadey wrote: »
    it used to be a lot of lads claiming they were boxers outside nightclubs to look hard. now it seems they all say they trane ufc( even tho mma is the name of the sport)and ufc is the name of an organisatioun

anyone come across douchbags like this on your nights out, usually wearing affliction or tapout shirts?

I work a door in Templebar, so the short answer is YES every weekend without fail.

I'd personally know just about every coach and major play on the MMA circuit in Ireland so I can suss out a Walter Mitty pretty damned quickly.

Btw most lads who are serious about their training cringe at the idea of wearing Tapout, Affliction, Bad Boy etc... Most fan boys love the sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

You can see the same people in pubs on days when fights are on the big screens in the mornings/weekends, the guys who train hard are having a coffee/eating a banana/fruit scone and the wannabes are downing pints in their skin tight tapout t-shirts showing off their guts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Funny thing about these idiots is they don't realise that a lot of security staff for bars/clubs these days actually do train in mixed martial arts. I don't myself, but I work in the bar trade, and like Makikomi said it's pretty easy to figure out who knows their stuff.

Drunk skanger threatening to choke out a doorman and snap his arm with an arm-bar, and you're lucky I dont start striking cos my fists are classed as lethal weapons, hold me back lads, waaaahhhhhh!

-VS-

A doorman with a tiny smile on his face.

I know where I'm putting my money every time.

orestes wrote: »
    Funny thing about these idiots is they don't realise that a lot of security staff for bars/clubs these days actually do train in mixed martial arts. I don't myself, but I work in the bar trade, and like Makikomi said it's pretty easy to figure out who knows their stuff.

Drunk skanger threatening to choke out a doorman and snap his arm with an arm-bar, and you're lucky I dont start striking cos my fists are classed as lethal weapons, hold me back lads, waaaahhhhhh!

-VS-

A doorman with a tiny smile on his face.

I know where I'm putting my money every time.

truth

dunno how bouncers put up with that crap

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

In fairness lads most bouncers don't train in MMA, most are just big fat shites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I train UFC and Liverpool ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

In fairness lads most bouncers don't train in MMA, most are just big fat shites.

Bollox.

Security staff for bars/clubs/yada yada have to go through the system to prove that they are able to restrain people without hurting them unnecessarily, cos they have to be able to lock them up and immobilise them without causing lawsuits. I have tonnes of respect for anybody working in the industry in Ireland since we have a culture that encourages being a drunken fukkwit and then ties the hands behind the backs of the people who are responsible for standing up to them.

Years ago when it was monster bouncers dragging guys out of clubs and giving them a slap where the cameras can't see, that was one thing. But now the door-staff can be sued (personally and professionally), they are professional as hell.

orestes wrote: »
    Bollox.

Security staff for bars/clubs/yada yada have to go through the system to prove that they are able to restrain people without hurting them unnecessarily, cos they have to be able to lock them up and immobilise them without causing lawsuits. I have tonnes of respect for anybody working in the industry in Ireland since we have a culture that encourages being a drunken fukkwit and then ties the hands behind the backs of the people who are responsible for standing up to them.

Years ago when it was monster bouncers dragging guys out of clubs and giving them a slap where the cameras can't see, that was one thing. But now the door-staff can be sued (personally and professionally), they are professional as hell.

some places man, some places

theres still a lot of places with roid rage juice monkeys running the doors

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pro wrestlers are harder than any of these boyos. Given their intense work schedule coupled with their ability to work stiff on any brave mark or over zealous jobber.

Pro wrestlers are harder than any of these boyos. Given their intense work schedule coupled with their ability to work stiff on any brave mark or over zealous jobber.

Did you see what happened to Brock Lesnar

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

What?? Not one KFC? Ahh here, it's late.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

Was talking to a lad in a pub one night and noticed he was wearing a UFC hoodie. I asked him was he looking forward to the fight on the weekend and just general MMA stuff. Chap hadn't the foggiest, he more or less admitted he'd never seen a single fight. Fair enough, but that's 40 or 50 quid spent just to look hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

T-K-O wrote: »
    Did you see what happened to Brock Lesnar

I saw him win the Heaveyweight Belt then have half his colon taken out, which I'd imagine isn't the easiest thing thing to happen.
    Was talking to a lad in a pub one night and noticed he was wearing a UFC hoodie. I asked him was he looking forward to the fight on the weekend and just general MMA stuff. Chap hadn't the foggiest, he more or less admitted he'd never seen a single fight. Fair enough, but that's 40 or 50 quid spent just to look hard.

I wear board shorts and don't surf! Maybe he just liked the hoodie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Most lads who train MMA would not be out at the weekend acting the scut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Wanna be fighters are the worst , guys that are at it maybe 2/3 weeks, think they can tackle anyone , bUt have no idea , and spout ufc/mma as if they lived and breath it.

These are the most dangerous fools - becasue they start believing their own hype, and are more likely to have a go - i know its a old one but the quiet guy with a smile is the guy i would ALWAYS watch out for - i have seen it so so many times , muscle bound ape starts on small guy , small guy knocks him out and does some dentistry for good measure.
    Its a fad/fashion thing anyway, in the 70;s it was karate/kung fu , 80's wrestling and boxing , in the 90's kick boxing and then later on its been UFC/MMA , give it a few year the wanna be sheep will find some other fad to follow and the true devotes will still be doing their chosen craft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

ufc and mma is animalism voyeurism........cant stand it, pumped up apes, and now they have little kids at it, should be banned

Karate is the art

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

ufc and mma is animalism voyeurism........cant stand it, pumped up apes, and now they have little kids at it, should be banned

Karate is the art

Ridiculous uneducated post.

Dean09 wrote: »

so holding a lad down and thumping his face in is fun yes................ah ill sign the kids up so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hate to say it lads, but watching it on TV, it seems like aggressive cuddling to me.

so holding a lad down and thumping his face in is fun yes................ah ill sign the kids up so
    Yet again, another ignorant, uneducated post.
    I'm not telling you to sign the kids up. Do whatever you want. But maybe you should do a bit of research into what's actually involved in the sport before you make some stupid accusations and bash the sport, based on probably the 2 minutes of it that you've actually watched and the countless hours you spend listening to Joe Duffy type idiots ramble on about something they know nothing about.
    There was a big thread on it in AH a few weeks back. Look it up and give it a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Btw most lads who are serious about their training cringe at the idea of Tapout

But, but the Tapout stuff is soo cheap on sportsdirect.com - damn!

This is where being a mean bastid can run you into trouble :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Karate is the art

Kicking someone in the head whilst standing like you have a big poo turtling is classier? :p

MadsL wrote: »
    Hate to say it lads, but watching it on TV, it seems like aggressive cuddling to me.

Remind me never to cuddle up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love Boxing was quite decent at it when younger even won few decent tournaments, but not set foot in one since I was 16. Just other paths got in way.

In relation to OP question. Just cause you wear a GAA, Football or Rugby Jersey does that make you good at those respective Sports? No it does not.

I dont really see the big deal in lads wearing them. If they like them so be it. Dont really see that many wear them anyway. Where would people tend to see them? Or is it more teenager type of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Love Boxing was quite decent at it when younger even won few decent tournaments, but not set foot in one since I was 16. Just other paths got in way.

In relation to OP question. Just cause you wear a GAA, Football or Rugby Jersey does that make you good at those respective Sports? No it does not.

I dont really see the big deal in lads wearing them. If they like them so be it. Dont really see that many wear them anyway. Where would people tend to see them? Or is it more teenager type of thing?
    Nothing wrong with people wearing them. Plenty do (personally I think a lot of designs are horrible though).
    Its the ones who think pulling the t-shirt/hoody on makes them tough are the gimps. Usually easily noticeable by the shirt being a size too small and a massive struggle to keep their chest puffed out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I know you're just acting the sack to get a rise so I won't quote you on your previous post (Dean09 already took that bait)..

But actually, it is fun. Its great fun.

I train out in Rush Fight Academy (anyone out that way feel free to look the club up) and have NEVER left the club not feeling on top of the world & with a huge appetite for the next days training.

But back to the question the OP asked, I pretty much answered it.

Another one I get a lot is people assuming I'm just a big lump with no training so I'm often given advice on what style to train and even what I should do in a fight ~ tbh I smile and act like its all new to me.

The athletes themselves ~ well the club/bar where I work is frequented by the lads from two major clubs in Ireland and I know they won't mind me naming them, they're Straight Blast Gym and Coolmine MMA.. Those lads know how to party!, but never once would I be concerned there'd be any kind of trouble with them as without exception each and every one of them are a credit to their clubs, their sport and their chosen way of life.

The prick screaming and shouting abuse at the door ~ they're a way of life we've chosen to turn out backs on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

nadey wrote: »

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret....guys at nightclubs lie to girls *all the time*. They're all UFC champs, play in a rock band, know a famous guy, own a sports car (that is in the shop), are studying to be a doctor, shipping out to a war zone, running their own business, former sports star, whatever....

I'm gonna let you in on another little secret....girls don't care.

They'd rather believe that they are being hit on by some up-and-coming UFC fighter who dropped out of med school because he wanted to pursue his UFC career, but once he retires, he's totally going to go back to medicine...than know the truth.

Most guys at a nightclub are absolutely average. Just like most girls. The girls who are average want to think they're special. Same with the guys. So the guys lie, and the girls believe the obvious lies. And they both mess around and think they're special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

UCDVet wrote: »
    I'm gonna let you in on a little secret....guys at nightclubs lie to girls *all the time*. They're all UFC champs, play in a rock band, know a famous guy, own a sports car (that is in the shop), are studying to be a doctor, shipping out to a war zone, running their own business, former sports star, whatever....

They'd rather believe that they are being hit on by some up-and-coming UFC fighter who dropped out of med school because he wanted to pursue his UFC career, but once he retires, he's totally going to go back to medicine...than know the truth.

Most guys at a nightclub are absolutely average. Just like most girls. The girls who are average want to think they're special. Same with the guys. So the guys lie, and the girls believe the obvious lies. And they both mess around and think they're special.

Of course, it's important to avoid spinning a story you can get busted on in short order. My mother was in Belfast with a few workmates last year and one of the younger members of the group got chatted up by a guy who explained that he was in the Ulster Rugby academy as a hooker. He got a rather unexpected shock when my mother took one look at him and declared he was at least twenty kilos too light to play in the front row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

And OP are you the guy who enters the conversation all haughty like, "ACTUALLY it's MMA..." because you think your real knowledge and ability to spot and roll your eyes at the wannabes, in fact, makes you the legit tough guy? Maybe drop some obscure names you've trained with (such as BJJ grandmaster, Akuna Matata) just to show you're the 'real deal'.

I hate the guys you're talking about, but they also bring about the guys I'm talking about too.

Every man thinks they're at least 5% ninja.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Did you just say 'douchebag' and 'mang'?

Of course, it's important to avoid spinning a story you can get busted on in short order. My mother was in Belfast with a few workmates last year and one of the younger members of the group got chatted up by a guy who explained that he was in the Ulster Rugby academy as a hooker. He got a rather unexpected shock when my mother took one look at him and declared he was at least twenty kilos too light to play in the front row.

Maybe he meant a different type of hooker.;)

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    Every man thinks they're at least 5% ninja.

I love this line!!
    Think ill make it my new sig!

UCDVet wrote: »

Yep, I wont lie have pretended I was Welsh one time(good with accents) and im sure I pretended I played Pro Rugby once too.

Got what I wanted also:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ah I think I robbed it from somewhere, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

some upstart said it to me at a table quiz the other night. i asked him were their broadband speeds good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Dean09 wrote: »

I watched back the Lesner v Overreem fight. It was Brocks first fight back in 18 months after having trouble with diverticulitis, i think he may even have had part of his colon removed. And what did Overeem do in that fight.. he went straight for his abdominal area, knees kicks constantly targeting his intestines. That is hardly sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

woodoo wrote: »
    I watched back the Lesner v Overreem fight. It was Brocks first fight back in 18 months after having trouble with diverticulitis, i think he may even have had part of his colon removed. And what did Overeem do in that fight.. he went straight for his abdominal area, knees kicks constantly targeting his intestines. That is hardly sport.

You're in there to win.

Brock wouldn't be in there if he didn't feel he was up for the fight. You go in with a strategy to 1) Play to your advantages (ie Overeems striking) and 2) Reflect your opponents weaknesses (ie Brock's stand up). Why would Overeem go in and get wrestled by Brock for 3 rounds? Ridiculous.

You're in there to win.

You're in there to win.

Brock wouldn't be in there if he didn't feel he was up for the fight. You go in with a strategy to 1) Play to your advantages (ie Overeems striking) and 2) Reflect your opponents weaknesses (ie Brock's stand up). Why would Overeem go in and get wrestled by Brock for 3 rounds? Ridiculous.

You're in there to win.

He made no attempt to strike Brock anywhere other than his stomach. Of course if all you want to do is win and win dirty then fine, But its hardly sporting. Its fighting not a sport. I'm not on the side of a ban BTW.

I would be uncomfortable about the type of louts that would follow it and decide to act out what the see on some guy half their size.

Spot on dude, they should give lions tapout tops at this rate

token101 wrote: »
    I saw him win the Heaveyweight Belt then have half his colon taken out, which I'd imagine isn't the easiest thing thing to happen.

I wear board shorts and don't surf! Maybe he just liked the hoodie?

If you followed the sport you would know that Lesnar was ever a fighter. He crawl into a ball like a child when hit in the face (I would do the same). You cant learn that over night. Fighters are used to taking shots to the head.

In the 3/4 fights that he won, he basically sat on the opponent using his sheer size. I respect what he did in MMA but he is far from a poster boy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I've never met anybody who wears a tapout shirt that isn't a complete tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

One of Overeems best weapons are his knees. Theyre not called Uberknees for nothing. Was he supposed to go in and go "Hmmm my best attack is perfect for his weakest area. Better not use that."

One of Overeems best weapons are his knees. Theyre not called Uberknees for nothing. Was he supposed to go in and go "Hmmm my best attack is perfect for his weakest area. Better not use that."

Liver busters now thats sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

General guideline to use. Anyone who mentions their bad-assedness within the first few minutes of a conversation, or repeatedly, is most likely a bit of a fantasist.

Mentioning how tough you are in clubs over and over is a surefire way to end up getting sucker punched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

You're in there to win.

You're in there to win.
    He made no attempt to strike Brock anywhere other than his stomach. Of course if all you want to do is win and win dirty then fine, But its hardly sporting. Its fighting not a sport. I'm not on the side of a ban BTW.

I would be uncomfortable about the type of louts that would follow it and decide to act out what the see on some guy half their size.
    T-K-O wrote: »
    If you followed the sport you would know that Lesnar was ever a fighter. He crawl into a ball like a child when hit in the face (I would do the same). You cant learn that over night. Fighters are used to taking shots to the head.

In the 3/4 fights that he won, he basically sat on the opponent using his sheer size. I respect what he did in MMA but he is far from a poster boy

These are the type of conversations which make me want to put my head through a window and for that i hate UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

These are the type of conversations which make me want to put my head through a window and for that i hate UFC.

Why so? Enlighten us :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement