Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I trane UFC.....any muppets say that on nights out

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

in general,just dont watch a sport you dont enjoy.simples.While I dont enjoy the ground game in MMA it is a sport that demands a very high skill level and to just deride it as a no holds barred thug fight is way off the mark.

+1 on that. Attempting to destroy/take something away from other people who do enjoy it is complete asshattery. Its like men in skinny jeans, personally I think they look very very silly but I wouldn't try get skinny jeans banned just to spite hipsters fashion conscious individuals.

All joking aside, as has been pointed out, boxing is only really one of the superior martial arts because of how it is trained (twice a day, 6 days a week, massive emphasis on diet and fitness, full contact sparring etc etc).
    MMA fighters train the same way.
    All the trash talk and UFC hype is just a necessary element so that the fighters themselves can afford to continue to train as full time profession, in reality its no different from Tony Hawk letting his name be used to sell video games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

There is nothing more annoying than people trying to justify this playground pikey nonsense as an actual sport. Boxing is an art, UFC fight nights are like some sort of scobe magnet (although the fact it has crossed to the mainstream in the last four or so years is a bit baffling). It is a woeful "sport" that until four odd years ago had little audience beyond burberry wearing little gyppo scrotes.

Lol - you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Your post is so full of ignorant, shitty garbage I don't even know where to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I just think it would be a shame if the profile of a great sport like boxing was relegated to a fringe interest in 30 years due to the skyrocketing popularity of this nonsense, that is probably why I despise it so much.

But each to their own, as long as it just does not become overly prominent and erode the profile, and lets be honest, the money that boxing depends on, I could care less.

You are a very, very ignorant, misinformed gentleman.

What makes boxing any more of an "art" than MMA, because you say so? Your fondness for such high brow terms as "knacker" and "gyppo" doesn't do you a lot of favours either.

I train at an MMA gym and my training partners are a very diverse bunch, everyone from builders to accountants to physiotherapists to social workers, funnily enough, the only thing any of us really have in common outside the sport is that we're all working full time or studying to try to build a career and contribute to society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I just think it would be a shame if the profile of a great sport like boxing was relegated to a fringe interest in 30 years due to the skyrocketing popularity of this nonsense, that is probably why I despise it so much.

But each to their own, as long as it just does not become overly prominent and erode the profile, and lets be honest, the money that boxing depends on, I could care less.

Well one of (the island of) Irelands most celebrated boxers Wayne McCullough has no problem with it.

Taken from wikipedia:

In 2007, Wayne McCullough was asked to join the Ultimate Fighting Championship organisation by his longtime friend, UFC President, Dana White as a PR Associate and travels around the world helping to promote the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA).

He currently trains fighters both in boxing and MMA and is setting up his own charity - IHOW.

But what would he know, he's just some burberry wearing scobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

There is nothing more annoying than people trying to justify this playground pikey nonsense as an actual sport. Boxing is an art, UFC fight nights are like some sort of scobe magnet (although the fact it has crossed to the mainstream in the last four or so years is a bit baffling). It is a woeful "sport" that until four odd years ago had little audience beyond burberry wearing little gyppo scrotes.

I'd be willing to put my neck on the line and say that the majority of Irish interested in MMA are not "scobes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

That it is sh1te.

That it was originally aimed at squarely at braindead illiterate knackers, and that it annoys me that it has crossed from four or five years ago being solely watched by people who buy their wedding rings in Argos to starting to challenging boxing in terms of mainstream popularity.

/thread.........

Why is it ****e though? Forget who it was or was not originally aimed at.

Sounds like your issue with MMA is that it's challenging boxing for airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

I have meet far more toerags playing soccer and gaa then i have in mma.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 PeepingTom2102

* train...Are you one of them people that stand outside nightclubs and pretend they can spell??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Nothing wrong with people wearing them. Plenty do (personally I think a lot of designs are horrible though).
    Its the ones who think pulling the t-shirt/hoody on makes them tough are the gimps. Usually easily noticeable by the shirt being a size too small and a massive struggle to keep their chest puffed out

Well, yes, of course. Anyone who puts on any garment and believes it makes them any different is a gimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Well, yes, of course. Anyone who puts on any garment and believes it makes them any different is a gimp.

Like that necklace with the 't' on it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Peetrik wrote: »
    Like that necklace with the 't' on it?

Any garment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I know a good few lads now in MMA training and card fights both here and the UK.

Alot of them, are so anti-nacker its unbelievable, and I got that real " you wha " when they first mentioned it. These lads look like they would struggle bursting out of bubble wrap.

And then I know a good few lads who were nackers, scobes , whatever you want to call them. Were on the absolute slide downhill and were only going down one road. They got into MMA, and were quickly transformed from random scumbags picking fights into what I'd now consider genuinely nice blokes who have turned their lives around. They put their menace and nearly natural fighting talent into a discplined controlled environment, and if anything, were giving some belief and confidence they could actually achieve something in life. One of them now regularly represents Ireland in global kick boxing tournaments.

Its easy to dismiss something as an association with this group or that group. But at the end of the day its your own take, but it helps to read a bit more into the sport. I've no intention of ever doing MMA or a martial art, but I respect what it entails and the dedication involved, even if I dont exactly enjoy or agree with the sport.

I could just as easy be as broad with GAA calling it a boggers sport with no skill and a load of lads just shouldering each other...same with Rugby....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

To somewhat steal a recent Frankie Boyle joke, Chris Brown incorporates boxing in his conduct towards women. It does not make him an athlete. Just because UFC fights incorporate a certain amount of the art of boxing does not make it a good sport.

There are several rubbish sports that incorporate aspects of better sports. I just wish UFC would fcuk off from the mainstream and back to the Jeremy Kyle crowd.

You sound like a right arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Jeremy Kyle crowd...the notion really is funny to me. I'm from a working class area. I know plenty of sound lads, and I know plenty of knackers...and 90% of them couldn't give a fcuk about MMA. They wouldn't be able to name two renowned competitors in the sport or tell you the rules. So this notion that 'scobes' ard big fans of the sport is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Now I know you've either never been to a boxing event or you're blind.

Advertisement