Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting in a few months...

Options
  • 28-10-2012 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Sorry not sure where to post this, I'm a Venezuelan girl planning to spend about two weeks in your city after visiting Dublin, the ticket isn't cheap at all so I wanna be able to go with the right amount of money to make it worth my while in there, how much would any of you advise me to save up? (the amount in dollars would be easier for me to calculate).

Also I need to make some friends in there, I'd be alone because my girlfriends won't spend that much money on vacations, so If you are about my age (23 to 27 or so) maybe we could skype or something to get to know some people in there also to improve my English because is really hard for me to understand the accent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://themoneyconverter.com/EUR/VEF.aspx

Sleep - 2 weeks in a hostel approximately 300 euro
    Food - calculate at least 20 euro/day even if you don't intend to eat in restaurant every time.

Read this about meeting people

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Caraquian

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Get the bus from Dublin. It's cheaper than train. Check out www.citylink.ie or www.gobus.ie

You will beed to book a hostel now or else a B&B. It will always be more expensive if you are traveling alone. A hostel is a better idea as you can cook for yourself and meet others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

try couchsurfing.org for meeting people and possibly getting free accom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If you are coming in Winter things won't book up. You could just book the first couple of nights, or book longer if they have a good cancellation policy.
    Same sex dorm rooms are the cheapest for a hostel, and you really will save more money if you cook at least one meal a day there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Same sex dorm rooms are the cheapest for a hostel, and you really will save more money if you cook at least one meal a day there.

Mixed dorms are usually cheaper. But I'd never recommend them for a woman travelling alone. IMHO always insist on women only.

But inisboffin is right: it will be winter, the hostels will take any business they can get, and will probably be offering a weekly rate.

See www.hostelworld.com for real reviews by recent travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Mixed dorms are usually cheaper. But I'd never recommend them for a woman travelling alone. IMHO always insist on women only.

But inisboffin is right: it will be winter, the hostels will take any business they can get, and will probably be offering a weekly rate.

See www.hostelworld.com for real reviews by recent travellers.

Ya sorry, I meant to say cheapest of the safest options. I used to work in hostels. the mixed dorms were easiest to fill as you just put all overflow/odd numbers. Largest dorms are always the cheapest, sometimes these are same sex in larger hostels, but more often in Ireland are mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Caraquian

Wow, thank you for all the info. I didn't even know about those dorms, that's a good idea I'll look into that. I was thinking B&B too, but just because I didn't know I had that many choices.

Btw, I doubt I can take a full on winter being latin american and all... but maybe I could go at the begining of it, when does it start?

Also thanks for the links to the sites to make friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Its hard to say when winter starts exactly because it never seems to end but generally it would be coldest from November til about February

Advertisement