Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design student needs your input!!!

• 28-10-2012 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys I'm Kevin, a design student @ IT Sligo. I am looking for your help/advice on a little project I am working on. I, like you guys, am trying to get people to grow their own vegetables
    I will be approaching this problem from a product designers perspective, with a goal of having a product/service to offer people at the end of this process.

I am looking into:

Reasons for why more people don't do it. Only 2% of the population does.

How much money people can save by growing their own?

Health benefits.

Environmental impact.

Water usage.

Energy savings. (Indirect saving from not having to travel to buy food).

The average household size/food consumption.

The average space available to a household for growing.

What I am here for is to ask you to share some of your knowledge with me on these issues and any other little hints, tips, tricks associated with starting to grow your own.
    Also whether i should be favouring organic growing methods rather than hydroponics or aeroponics. And any info on vertical gardening solutions and Indoor v Outdoor.
    Thanks in advance, any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
    Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are not making this easy with the layout, but here goes:
    1. General apathy, laziness, lack of interest, space, time
    2. Not a lot, by the time you have bought all the extras like fertilisers and tools and seeds you could probably buy in Aldi for considerably cheaper
    3. Considerable, exercise, fresh air, mental health and really fresh veg is better nutritionally.
    4. Depends. If enough people grew their own there could be environmental impact, but consumers could make more difference by avoiding air miles in the veg they do buy
    5. In Ireland!!!
    6. Not a lot, you cannot grow sausages and sliced pans, you still have to go to the shops
    7. Don't understand the question - is there a question?
    8. No idea! Anything from none to several acres.

Why do it? In our society, for the pleasure of seeing things grow, making it happen and enjoying lovely fresh veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

not forgetting that you cannot buy in the shops the varities you can grow, there is a huge taste difference imo.

Take the granny smith apple for instance, you get a good shapely apple, good shiny skin, good texture, good disease resistance, good storage capabilities and generally easy to grow, very good for a commercial product.

What you dont get is a good taste that would be comparable to some of the lesser known varities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kevmcguigan

Thanks for the responses guys.

My hobby is to grow what i can without using any chemical input or killing anything, my own compost with chicken manure and liquid seaweed is all that my vegis eat :D

i try to circumvent natural problems, for example growing peas is very difficult with the amount of snails and slugs I have. I tried for a number of years to just toss them next door but that didnt work as they came back in droves and brought their friends. What I have found is that if I can get a dry week or two at the start of the summer, they are less active, and I plant twice as much seed and then about 50% or so seems to mature to a point beyond the slugs interest, and everybodies happy.

Hi guys I have created a quick little survey on polldaddy.com. It is related to this topic and my ongoing college project.
    If you could please give less than 5 mins of your time to fill it out I would greatly appreciate it.

Click on, or copy and paste link into browser:

http://kevmcguigan.polldaddy.com/s/future-of-home-food-production

Thanks,
    Kevin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is this the final poll? you'll get skewed results by asking the people who are already into gardening.

Its a test run, of what will be a more focused poll

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd ask about convenience - i.e. how much of a factor it is for people.
    most people, as mentioned above, will prefer to buy, from a cost factor, but convenience is also a huge issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I grow veg really for the sense of achievement.
    When you look at the dinner plate and can say that the meat is the only thing that was bought the rest came from outside is fresh and tastes great
    I watched a program recently where a potato grower was spraying their potatoes every 7 days.. I grow blight resistant potatoes and only spray our spuds with water.

This year was the worst year I have had growing veg, from seeds not growing, that Super moon Frost on May 5th (killing all my apple blossoms) to the F-N Slugs..
    I have been helping my parents since i was a kid growing fruit and veg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Id love to grow my own vegetables and the reasons why I dont are as follows:

I live in an apartment block. I have looked into an allotment but they cost money, are a bigger space than Id like to start off with and the nearest ones to me have a massive waiting list.

Time, pretending that I did have a garden - would I put in the time? Id like to think so but maybe not?

Knowledge. I dont know anyone who does it. I dont know anything about it. Id need to study up, get a good book, join a group - something.

Convenience - I could easily see myself going all gung ho but then resorting to the supermarket because its easier.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for taking time out to share your insights. It really is appreciated :D

i'd ask about convenience - i.e. how much of a factor it is for people.
    most people, as mentioned above, will prefer to buy, from a cost factor, but convenience is also a huge issue.

Thanks for the input, its much appreciated. I had intended mentioning the convenience factor, but due to the limitations of the "free" polling site I could only have 10 questions on the survey. Its $200 a year if you want to ask any more than that. Just not viable as a student I'm afraid.
    Any web designers out there may want to consider redesigning a site such as this particularly for students, maybe with a pay-as-you-go payment scheme. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks again.

Id love to grow my own vegetables and the reasons why I dont are as follows:

I live in an apartment block. I have looked into an allotment but they cost money, are a bigger space than Id like to start off with and the nearest ones to me have a massive waiting list.

Time, pretending that I did have a garden - would I put in the time? Id like to think so but maybe not?

Knowledge. I dont know anyone who does it. I dont know anything about it. Id need to study up, get a good book, join a group - something.

Convenience - I could easily see myself going all gung ho but then resorting to the supermarket because its easier.

Do you have a balcony or a south facing window? You can grow almost anything in pots, with a tray underneath that when its empty you need to water. the only way to learn is to do it and grow somthing, its really not that difficult. Feed once a week and see what you get, Do a few pots so you dont overdo it and just enjoy growing what you can or have the patience for.

I have just harvested a pineapple from a pot in a south facing window next to a radiator. Takes one year to root properly and start to grow then another year to flower, ripen and produce a pineapple, two years each time, small pineapple really but tastes lovely and is very rewarding.

227113.JPG

227114.JPG

Oldtree wrote: »
    Do you have a balcony or a south facing window? You can grow almost anything in pots, with a tray underneath that when its empty you need to water. the only way to learn is to do it and grow somthing, its really not that difficult. Feed once a week and see what you get, Do a few pots so you dont overdo it and just enjoy growing what you can or have the patience for.

I have just harvested a pineapple from a pot in a south facing window next to a radiator. Takes one year to root properly and start to grow then another year to flower, ripen and produce a pineapple, two years each time, small pineapple really but tastes lovely and is very rewarding.

What lovely pics!!!

No, Im afraid I dont. I am ground floor, and where my back doors are is recessed, and then the balcony above overhangs also, so by the time I get out of the shadow, Im out in the communal back garden!!

I have grown herbs from time to time in pots though.

Your pics are brilliant, Im inspired to find a secret sunny spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'm always amazed that most people say that you don't save money on growing your own. It depends on what you grow of course. Carrots and spuds are relatively cheap to buy. But you can get 1000 carrot seeds for less than a euro. Even taking into consideration failures you can beat the supermarket easily. Same with salad leaves and lettuce. Again you can get 1000 seeds for less than a euro. More than you could possibly eat but the cost of these greens in the shops is outrageous, not to mention the amount of chemicals they are sprayed with to get them to the shop stall.
    But where you really save money is on specific things like tomatoes, peppers and chillis for example. All you can eat fresh during the season and also good to freeze for transforming into passatta, sauces etc. From 2 cucumber seeds I got 2 plants and I must have harvested 150 fruit from them. At knockdown prices that's 100 euro in the bank. Plus these were organic. I was eating them like bananas. Delicious and noticed a diffference in my health for it. Fruit is rediculous. Within a couple of years I have propagated 150 + plants for free from 6 sickly plants my sister gave me. Next year I could harvest ????? 100 lbs of strawberries? Hopefully more. At 3 euro a small punnet in the shops that's a silly return. I'll use what I can't eat for jam, tarts, wine, smoothies. Same with raspberries, blackberries, tayberries, currants. At the moment with the cold wind holwing outside I have fresh cape gooseberries in the fridge. It's like eating mini pineapples, amazing taste. These will continue to crop for another month. Have already made jam from them and will freeze more for wine. All from one seed. And dont get me started on Rhubarb. Perhaps the easiest to grow of all and one of the most generous. 2 euro for 3 limp stalks in the supermarket? No thanks. A crown will cost you that and give you many years of rhubarb, so much you will be sick of it. Just chuck some cow sh*t on in winter and that's it. Bareroot plants that will live on for many years can be bought for 2 or 3 euros. Just give them free home made compost or manure and they will do great.

I bartered surplus produce for other stuff or just gave it away and got goodwill in return. Friends and neighbours would pop by with cooked goods, a neighbour even dropped in football boots and clothes for the young lad. Good brands too :) And on and on it goes. Am into home brewing now because of surplus fruit and passing bottles around. Again people drop stuff around.

So it's fast becoming a way of life for me without having to give up my previous life. I think we are all farmers and deeply connected to the earth. But our present way of life has smoothered our farming instincts. But you just need to scratch the surfcace and sow a seed. It will all come flooding back. You just need to show people that convenience is not the be all and end all of life today. Ironically, if you want a product to get people to start growing their own, then I think you need to hand them something convenient :) A seed, some compost and a simple instruction - Add Water. Maybe something like cut and come again salad. Carrots are great to pull, maybe something quick cropping like early nantes for sweets baby carrots. Give your product/service a name which is also your web address and away you go. All the information someone might need to take the next steps right up to growing exotic produce under cover using self-sustainable organic methods (prefereably).

redser7 wrote: »
    I'm always amazed that most people say that you don't save money on growing your own.

Id be thinking of the time invested as having a cost as well - not that Id mind time spent doing something enjoyable!!!

But I think its a bit misleading to just price the seeds themselves, for someone to get started theyd need pots, compost, seeds, miracle grow or whatever, a book to tell them what to do, and maybe a yearly rent on an allotment, and then theyd invest their own time. Theres probably lots of other things I dont even know about, right down to a garden hose!!

I wistfully await the end of the recession and negative equity to have a garden to try it all out!!!

Do you ever can stuff redser? I mean, canning in the way the amish do, jars of stuff with airtight lids heated to a certain temperature for a certain time - so that all the bacteria is killed and its preserved. Something I always thought would be fun.

Hi 123 - I've just started preserving this year. So far have made jam, pickles (onions, cucumbers, beetroots), and jarred passatta and sauce from my own tomatoes, peppers, chillis, onions, herbs. I have some more recipes to try. It's a whole area that I never even considered when I started growing. But once you start getting gluts you find this is what people do. There are a few rules to follow for the different methods but it's not rocket science and I'm enjoying it and the preserves. I picked up a couple of books for 1p + packaging on amazon which are old but great. You should give it a go.
    Home brewing came out of the allotment gluts too :) A great new interest and I'm making nice wine from tea bags and supermarket juices too! Get your name down on an allotment list and sure you never know. Cash is tight for me too and I'm in the same situation with celtic tiger mortgage and kids in creche. So I didn't take on the allotment lightly. Everything needs to be fanancially viable. But it can be done. I built a 20 foot polytunnel for under 200 euro using plastic pipe and scavanged materials. This has allowed me to grow all the tender stuff plus early and late crops plus stuff through the winter. I regularly scour adverts.ie and freetradeireland and pick up all sorts of freebies and bargains. One man's rubbish is another man's gold. This is how I make it work. I also get the plot for free by tending the car park flower beds :)

As for my own labour - I think of much of the countless hours of 'spare' time I used to spend as wasted - tv, loafing around. So I'm much more fulfilled and dont see it as work and so dont count it as a cost. You said ...

But I think its a bit misleading to just price the seeds themselves, for someone to get started theyd need
    pots, - got hundreds for free on freetrade
    compost, - buy it at a fraction of cost in august/september. Eg. 100 litres for 3 euro in woodies. I also make my own.
    seeds, - B&Q, Aldi and Lidl. You can also swap seed as you often wont use it all. Expensive seed (F1 hybrid) is worth it for good crops. And dont forget you can save seed for next year and have free seed forever.
    miracle grow or whatever, - make your own compost/manure/nettle/comfrey/seaweed tea
    a book to tell them what to do, - second hand on amazon (try the Expert series, often 1p + packaging), library, internet (just ask away)
    and maybe a yearly rent on an allotment, - money well spent
    and then theyd invest their own time. - FREE
    Theres probably lots of other things I dont even know about, right down to a garden hose!! - yes you are right but none of it is absolutely necessary. You need good soil, seed and knowledge. The rest you can add patiently over the years.

Gwan, you know you want to :)

The first things I grew were carrots from seed in a quality street tin full of mud, and i was delighted.

dont get carried away start small aim big. lots of vegi comes with free seed so easy to give it a go, gowannnnn :D

Id be thinking of the time invested as having a cost as well - not that Id mind time spent doing something enjoyable!!!
    this is it - for people here, the cost factor is not an issue as it's a pastime, probably a greater factor in the decision to grow your own than the money saving aspect.

for someone not into gardening, the time investment is not worth the money saved. even placing a low value on your time - say €5 per hour, you'll 'spend' maybe €100 of your time growing veg in the course of a season. which would buy a lot of spuds.

this is it - for people here, the cost factor is not an issue as it's a pastime, probably a greater factor in the decision to grow your own than the money saving aspect.

for someone not into gardening, the time investment is not worth the money saved. even placing a low value on your time - say €5 per hour, you'll 'spend' maybe €100 of your time growing veg in the course of a season. which would buy a lot of spuds.

I agree that you have to enjoy it to negate the cost of your time, in general. However, you don't have to go the whole hog. You could pick some specific things to grow that will need practically no effort and give big rewards. Fruit would be it I think. Lidl/Aldi sell 10 bareroot strawberry runners for about 3 euro. I bought Elsanta and Ostara last spring. Bung em in the ground with some compost or manure. Do a little reading and over the life of these plants they will yield many pounds of fruit which would save you a fortune at the supermarkets. Take runners and increase your stock many times over. Again this is quick and easy to do. Ostara is great as it is an everbearer and can give you 2 flushes in a season.
    Aldi/Lidl also sell bareroot fruit bushes and canes. With a little knowledge they require very little effort to maintain and yield fortunes worth of berries and fruit.
    Salad leaves are easy, a good starting point that even a child could master in no time.
    Having come from a position of never having sown a seed just over 2 years ago to what I am doing now I feel like an evangelist trying to spread the good word :)
    I think people can get hung up on the notion of being self-sufficient. That's a whole other ball game. As oldtree says, start small and take it from there. By smart selection you can save yourself a lot of cash plus reap the benefits of eating your own produce, and more of it than you would if you were faced with the price tags at the supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I live in a semi detached house in a town and have a wraparound garden. I always had a very full garden with different sections and my front garden was always filled with flowers, no lawns. After a really rotten year and a totally different micro climate in the past few years, I'm converting my front and side garden to raised beds and pallet gardening. Pallets are stood up and pockets made between the slats and crops grown vertically. I'm dividing the front garden into 1 metre square raised beds and I'll grow a variety of stuff in them. I'm also going to give strawbale gardening a go. More and more people are turning their front gardens over to veg growing. I know that economicaly it might not always make sense but I already grow veg and fruit in my back garden in a polly tunnel and nothing beats mooching around before supper, picking your veg while watching things grow.
    The idea is to also have removable shelters to protect the crops a bit.

Gwan, you know you want to :)

Great post redser - youre really giving me inspiration and ideas here!!!

If you dont mind me asking, how much is the allotment per year?

Guys thanks again for taking time out to generate some very interesting discussions on this topic.
    It's a great help with my research for this project and is much appreciated.

Kevin.

Great post redser - youre really giving me inspiration and ideas here!!!

If you dont mind me asking, how much is the allotment per year?

100 euro for 10 m x 10 m. Nearly choked when I first heard how much but if you use the space well you can grow plenty. I prefer to think about it as 2 euro a week :)

100 euro for 10 m x 10 m. Nearly choked when I first heard how much but if you use the space well you can grow plenty. I prefer to think about it as 2 euro a week :)

Thanks very much for all the info redser, happy growing and preserving!

The self sufficiency myth propogated by the tv people is just that a myth. You would need between 2 to 4 acres, be an all rounder with animals and crops and to go at it full time for it to be truly self sufficient and that is just not practible in the modern environment as we need money, qed.

I dont think it is a good idea to look at gardening or vegi growing as an investment in purly financial terms, as this hides the fact that gardening is like any other hobby that you love, it distracts you from your troubles and gives exercise and fresh air and escape at the same time, even the time spent contemplating the needs of a plant in a pot on a windowsil has its mental benefits.

Our lives do not depend on the crop or garden being successful so it needs to be put into perspective and enjoyed for what it is for most people a very worthwhile hobby (that some zealots like me have taken beyond to a fixation :D)

A failed plant is after all a planting opportunity.

i was once at a talk given by bob flowerdew on growing your own food.
    at the start he asked for a show of hands of people who were going to attempt to become fully self-sufficient.
    one guy stuck his hand up.
    bob flowerdew: "i hope you like turnips".

i'd have said courgettes in that situation, btw.
    i'd say a 10mx10m allotment would easily produce 100 courgettes a week.

:) I havn't tried them and I don't think I will. I hear words like 'triffids' and 'brutes' bandied about a lot!

• Advertisement

Guys, have you had any experience with the following: Irrigation systems, Hydroponics, Aeroponics, Indoor growing techniques?

Advertisement