Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads on the touch site

Options
  • 28-10-2012 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭

Now, before I say anything, let be just say I have absolutely no problem with ads being on the site. That's how Boards makes most of its money so that's fair enough.
    But there's just one small thing that I'm wondering about......

How come the smaller banner ads in the middle of the page are double click while the larger colour ads at the bottom of the screen are only single click?
    If I'm scrolling and hit one of the smaller ads by mistake, its no problem because I'd have to click it again to confirm that I wanna go to the site. But if I accidentally click on the large ad on the bottom of the screen, I'm instantly redirected.
    I dunno if anyone else has this problem or if its because I have clumsy fingers, but its annoying being redirected all the time.
    Could ALL the ads not be made double click to stop this from happening?
    I know it's a fairly trivial matter but just thought I'd ask anyway.
    Cheers
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

As a subscriber you should be able to turn off ads on touch if they're bugging you. You might as well put that subscription to work!

The only ads that require a double click, that I'm aware of, are the google text ads. These are served to us by the google ad network with this extra click requirement baked in. It's a very nice feature and makes sense for both advertisers and us. Advertisers get less accidental click throughs and we get happier users. However, our ads come to us from various sources and we currently have no way of forcing this requirement on all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

No problem at all. I didn't turn them off because the ads don't bother me really. It was just the accidental clicks that was a bit irritating. No big deal.
    Thanks for the reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dean09 wrote: »
    How come the smaller banner ads in the middle of the page are double click while the larger colour ads at the bottom of the screen are only single click?

Out of interest - do the smaller banner ads in the middle of pages also take up a whopping amount of screen on your phone too?

I reckon they must use about 60% of the viewing area on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The small adverts are all good on the touch site.
    Its big things liket this annoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm seeing them in the middle of pages, not just the top or bottom. Very intrusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Eoin wrote: »

Out of interest - do the smaller banner ads in the middle of pages also take up a whopping amount of screen on your phone too?

Not all of them.
    Most are tiny and don't bother me, but there is the odd few that take up a lot of space which I think increases the page loading times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Eoin wrote: »

This was a trade off we had to introduce when we allowed you to increase the number of posts per page on touch. I'm not entirely mad about it either to be honest but the amount of money we stood to lose from decreased page impressions made it necessary. It was either add large mid thread ads or not do the feature at all. If you are on the standard posts per page count you will never see large ads mid-thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Is it possible to set the regular post count for the touch site and leave it as forty for the full version?

Advertisement