Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kinsealy Inn Reopening Soon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Did anyone manage to get to look at the planning permission sign located between the two trees near the bus stop.

I wonder what it's for?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

PCros wrote: »
    Did anyone manage to get to look at the planning permission sign located between the two trees near the bus stop.

I wonder what it's for?

Nothing exciting. Something to do with signage and I think a parapet to hide the plany equipment on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Yep. New hanging sign and some cladding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

PCros wrote: »

I wonder what it's for?

9los.jpg

gzgn.jpg

bgx0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That site notice is likely legally invalid due to the date being completely wrong (4 digit date put in a 2 digit field). He'd want to get them changed in case of a busybody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 cantona66

any date's mentioned for reopening?? people have said end of October but reckon there is more than a months work to do till it can open, even if it is just partial opening. Hopefully will be up and running a couple of weeks before christmas, be a shame for new owner to miss out on christmas market, great time to establish the new place. Shame for locals as well who would like a local pint at xmas or be able to drop down for a pint with visiting friends or family

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kinsealy hoop

Was supposed to open end of October but has been put back til end of November

Yeah I thought as it is now it would be more than a month away till opening. End of November still good, hope no more delays and all up and running in time for Christmas period

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kinsealy hoop

With the planning in this could easily delay things

yes very true, there are often unforseen hold ups with planning, contractors, hold ups/problems with building/fitting out. For me personally I'd love to be able to go down around Christmas for a pint but for the new owner, who I don't know, I really hope it is open before Christmas so he can get off to a good start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Whelcon84

Looking forward to the pub opening. Only new to the area and would be great for a good local to head off to which is in walking distance. What was it like before it closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I was told the planning permission designs are up online on the Fingal Coco website, but i can't find them anywhere. What's the building called, or who are the new owners? Or does anyone know where to find them?

I googled Kinsealy Inn - Went to google maps to see if i could get any info there..

Look at "A" :D - http://goo.gl/maps/2j4wa

Haha The Lobbit Inn. Here is the planning app. Still pending by the looks of it.
    http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F13A/0317

Whelcon84 wrote: »
    Haha The Lobbit Inn. Here is the planning app. Still pending by the looks of it.
    http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F13A/0317

Thanks. Does it look much different? I can't see much..

Existing Layout
    kJYQDPd.jpg

New Layout
    mafeSg0.jpg

was grand for a pint, not somewhere you would have a big night out in really. Was badly in need of a facelift and a spruce up. Closing for the year might have been a blessing if it's decent when re-opens. Will be great having pub on doorstep again, there wasn't anything for miles, Swords was the closest place for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Looking at the new layout the lounge takes up all the space that was previously used by both the bar and lounge, and the new bar is going where the off license and pool room were. It's a pity that the off license is gone because you could always get a deal between them and the Spar. Now the Spar is the only option for an off license and their wine is very expensive and there's rarely and good offers on the beers.

Looking forward to seeing the new place.

tobsey wrote: »
    Now the Spar is the only option for an off license and their wine is very expensive and there's rarely and good offers on the beers.

Spar is crazy expensive. But i don't think they advertise that they're cheap.
    I only recently found out how expensive :eek:.
    Example (off top of head) - 500ml Bottle of Spaten - €1.69 in Aldi, €2 in O'Briens, €3.29 in Spar, and it's warm.

Yeah, the pool tables seem to be gone, and the off licence will be missed.
    I don't see much difference in the layout though, except the arrangement of the rooms/furniture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I find the Spar is OK for most of the groceries, especially if you only want the basics, but it is very expensive for alcohol alright.

Well the whole wall in the middle of the place is gone! That's a bit of a change. The main bar seems to be in the same place but instead of the staff being able to move from the Bar to the Lounge behind it, that whole bar is now in the lounge. (bar = place to serve drinks, Bar = not lounge). The new Bar will probably be bigger than the old one but i hope they remove all the posters from the windows and allow some real light in. That was the main problem with the old place. It felt like going to an underground pub during the prohibition era.

I find the Spar is OK for most of the groceries, especially if you only want the basics, but it is very expensive for alcohol alright.

Well the whole wall in the middle of the place is gone! That's a bit of a change. The main bar seems to be in the same place but instead of the staff being able to move from the Bar to the Lounge behind it, that whole bar is now in the lounge. (bar = place to serve drinks, Bar = not lounge). The new Bar will probably be bigger than the old one but i hope they remove all the posters from the windows and allow some real light in. That was the main problem with the old place. It felt like going to an underground pub during the prohibition era.

Yeah, i hadn't noticed the wall.

I think the new owner is going to try and get the custom from all the houses that were built in the boom, as well as the old regulars.

The old Kinsealy Inn hadn't really been touched in a long time. It was dark, but some of the locals liked that. Not really my thing though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Looking at the new layout the lounge takes up all the space that was previously used by both the bar and lounge, and the new bar is going where the off license and pool room were. It's a pity that the off license is gone because you could always get a deal between them and the Spar. Now the Spar is the only option for an off license and their wine is very expensive and there's rarely and good offers on the beers.

Looking forward to seeing the new place.

As someone who used to work in the Off Sales trade the margins are extremely tight. On a bottle of beer the profit margin is only 3-4%, a bottle of spirits 5-7% and a bottle of wine 12-20%. Cigarettes are a loss maker with your margin being 1% and the cost of insuring your premises increases when you sell cigarettes. When you look at those margins and then couple in cost of staff, wastage and running fridges day and night ect. you could forgive the new owner for making the best use of the space.

Supermarkets and off license chains have the volumes to squeeze local publicans and off licenses. To give you an example, a publican buys in a box of 24 bottles of Miller for 19.99 with a RRP of 26.99 (if sold as a box). Now add 21% VAT onto the 19.99 and you're not left with much. Then when supermarkets can sell the same box at 15.99 and still make a profit? Eurospar is expensive because it has the market cornered on a product where there is no close competition and slim margins.

Had I bought the pub I'd of done away with the Off License myself. Its not worth the hassle for the minimal amount of profit. Plus all it takes is for a couple of kids getting served by accident and your license and reputation is in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Also interesting to see a good-sized kitchen replace the small old "Tea Prep." area - which must have been where the steak and chips were getting cooked :-( It would be great to have decent food available.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Lemo wrote: »
    Also interesting to see a good-sized kitchen replace the small old "Tea Prep." area - which must have been where the steak and chips were getting cooked :-( It would be great to have decent food available.
    i was the chef in there years ago nightmare of a little kitchen but good crack to work there looking forward to having a few pints there when it reopens nice to have a local back:)

hopefully its opened before xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

hopefully its opened before xmas.

I would say they will be pushing for Halloween

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

bumper234 wrote: »
    I would say they will be pushing for Halloween

Word in the area (people talking to the workers) is that that was the original plan but it is been pushed back a couple of weeks due to unforseen work needing to be done. Apparetnly mid-November is more likely.

Take a look through the window and you'll see that the only thing remaining at the moment is the original outside walls.

I don't think that pub will be ready for halloween, 4 weeks to go from what it is now to serving pints/food, not a chance. End of November, start of December would be great, hopefully anyway in time for Christmas. Halloween is only s*ite anyway, maybe he would have liked it open for the bank hol weekend but Christmas is a much more realistic target and good time to get punters in

Had a quick gander last night. Id say November is a more reasonable date. Still, at least we will being getting a local. On a side note, is there a local senior football team?

There is a Kinsealy Boys team, for kids. the name being a bit of a giveaway. I think there is a team called Kinsealy not affiliated to Kinsealy boys but talk they would merge. Not sure if this will happen or if Kinsealy FC actually play in or near Kinsealy or if they are still in existence. New pitches at Kettles lane, would make sense if they played there. Nearest club I can think of is Swords Celtic, good facilities up there, not really near but not too far away either. New to the area, you must be looking forward to playing a bit of ball and having a pint in a local, hope you can do both soon :)

• Advertisement

Had a quick gander last night. Id say November is a more reasonable date. Still, at least we will being getting a local.

Out of sheer coincidence, last night i was talking to a guy that used to work there. He has been popping his head in now and then, having a look around.

Anyway, he said they'll be opening the bar for the October Bank Holiday weekend. The rest of the work will still be going on in the rest of the pub, but the bar will be open by then.

Advertisement