Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Ultimate' Fighting Championship - Ireland should ban it first

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Dean09 wrote: »
    As I already told you, punches to the back of the head are illegal in mma, so your point is invalid. Next?[/QU

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/health/research/study-shows-changes-in-fighters-brains-before-symptoms.html?_r=1

Case closed

hi yeah i posted a load of stats about boxing just a few posts up would appreciate if you could answer? in fact here ya go ill make it easier

but its a well known fact that Boxers commonly suffer from major brain trauma, swelling and hemorrhaging of the brain. In state-sanctioned MMA competition there has been 1 recorded death in sixteen years. The fighter that died was Sammy Vasquez. It was reported that Vasquez had a pre-existing blood clot and underwent surgery to remove it. He then suffered another blood clot. This cause fluid to enter his brain and he had a stroke. He slipped into a coma until he died. There was also Douglas Dedge who died in Ukraine, but it is also rumored that he had a pre-existing condition. In the past sixteen years there have been over 110 recorded deaths in boxing. This number is astonishing. Boxing has claimed as much as 30 lives in one year and since 1890 there has not been a year without multiple recorded deaths due to boxing. so really is MMA(that's mixed martial arts) that bad if you compare it to boxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well while looking up Mr Silva did you perhaps come across all the amazing charity work he does in his home country.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

As I already told you, punches to the back of the head are illegal in mma, so your point is invalid. Next?[/QU

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/health/research/study-shows-changes-in-fighters-brains-before-symptoms.html?_r=1

Case closed

Rule 9
    http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations#15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Case closed

"Dr. Bernick has concluded that much of the research has focused too narrowly on infrequent, hard blows to the head rather than more constant lesser blows."

And this is an excellent illustration. UFC is actually SAFER than boxing, especially for long term brain damage. Boxing gloves are for protecting the hands more than the head, and allow many more blows to the head over a longer period of time than in UFC (where the fights generally end very quickly). This is especially true because the point system in professional boxing encourages blows to the face.

Case closed

This study has no mention of MMA fighters in it so whats your point?
    Alot of sports carry their own individual risks associated with them. Its seems that you have a problem with two highly skilled Athlete's competing against each other just cause you don't like the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

It's reassuring knowing how genuinely angry the OP is right now at getting his arse handed to him on the internet. After his display of faux outrage backfired.

He hasn't a clue either. Although UFC isn't my own cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I dont feel stupid. That is vicious scum bag behavior.

You have decided that you know better than anyone else on this thread and that everyone else here is wrong and you alone are right. These are clearly people who have a lot more experience with the subject matter but you are still convinced you are correct over them because you have assumed some perceived moral high ground that you think applies here, even though you know next to nothing about it. You think you are alone qualified to make this call and you are ignoring everything anyone has to say to the contrary. You have closed your mind to any logic but your own.

You might not feel stupid but you very much look stupid whether you know it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Im not blind.

Encouraging people to 'ground and pound' is not scumbaggery!

• Advertisement

What a measured and well made point.

Beating a concussed man is a sport, you dont get this, you are stupid.

Im not blind.

Probably not. But you seem to be pretty dim

Im not blind.

lol wut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

This has to be one of the most catastrophic failures of a 'let's get outraged lads' thread I've yet seen on boards.ie

MMA is actually quite a safe combat sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Im not blind.

Maybe if you could make a coherent argument people would listen to your points and have a discussion with you. But you're refusing to have any logical discussion on the sport and instead you're just bashing it and using very little to back yourself up. Like I already said, do a little bit of research into it and have an open mind. You might not be a fan after it but you'll have a greater understanding of it and maybe you won't be so closed minded.

Beating a concussed man is a sport, you dont get this, you are stupid.
    You're calling me stupid and you cant form a coherent sentence. Well done :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Reading another thread brought my attention to this 'sport' which should be banned immediately in Ireland.

How punching a clearly concussed man in the back of the head repeatedly whilst holding him by the throat until a referee intervenes, a 'technical' involves compression of the spine and vital organs until you opponent is near unconscious, pressuring a limb to breaking point or kneeing a man in the face is a sport is beyond me.

There are more rules in bare knuckle boxing on halting sites.

Many people seem to confuse the immense training that the participants go through as giving this the status of a sport.

Its street fighting without the discipline of karate or boxing. I expect I will get a load of you just dont understand etc

I watched this

I know its vile, seems to attract people who relish an awful celebration after nearly beating a man to death, none of the mutual respect that boxing has.

It will be banned, we should lead the way and ban it first, let the participants go back to knocking lumps out of each other outside pubs.
    How do yo feel about mma being safer than boxing. Boxing is barbaric in comparison, imagine letting a man get knocked down then letting him stand back up for some repeated brain damage while under the unified rules for mma the bout would have been ended at the first knock down.

You are literally ignorant of this subject, the athletes are the highest trained people in the world mastering many martial arts. there are many ways to end a fight I.e submission which is why boxers end up punch drunk/Parkinson's etc and mutual respect?????? Have you even watched it, at the end of every fight the participants hug, lift their opponents hand etc not go fight in a press conference. No sport shows the best of sportsman ship like mma.

Maybe if you could make a coherent argument people would listen to your points and have a discussion with you. But you're refusing to have any logical discussion on the sport and instead you're just bashing it and using very little to back yourself up. Like I already said, do a little bit of research into it and have an open mind. You might not be a fan after it but you'll have a greater understanding of it and maybe you won't be so closed minded.

Its a dreadful spectacle

gallag wrote: »
    How do yo feel about mma being safer than boxing. Boxing is barbaric in comparison, imagine letting a man get knocked down then letting him stand back up for some repeated brain damage while under the unified rules for mma the bout would have been ended at the first knock down.

You are literally ignorant of this subject,
    the athletes are the highest trained people in the world mastering many martial arts. there are many ways to end a fight I.e submission which is why boxers end up punch drunk/Parkinson's etc and mutual respect?????? Have you even watched it, at the end of every fight the participants hug, lift their opponents hand etc not go fight in a press conference. No sport shows the best of sportsman ship like mma.

You seem pretty ignorant of how boxing works tbh...

Its a dreadful spectacle
    :rolleyes:
    I rest my case.

Its a dreadful spectacle

Here's an idea, maybe don't watch it so? Or actually listen to the truth about the sport and don't come to your own hysterical conclusions

And check your exaggerated outrage at the door

Thread is going well ain't it OP?

• Advertisement

Its a dreadful spectacle

once again i ask you why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"I found out something new and already don't like it, read up about it? logical discussion? facts? these things have no place in my ignorant argument!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think ill just headbutt this wall for a while......

Room for one more?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's quite heartening to see that your Joe-duffy-esque outraged OP has received a sum total of zero thanks.

It looks like you are quite alone in your crusade against a skilled, entertaining and relatively safe combat sport.

I've been to 4 UFC events and the fighters and event organisers put on some show I can assure. You should go along and check one out.

When they play the Baba O' Reilly knock out montage at UFC events it's truly spine-tingling.

Fishooks12 wrote: »

You seem pretty ignorant of how boxing works tbh...
    What did I say that's not true? I am speaking in facts. Mma is safer than boxing fact fact fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Reading another thread brought my attention to this 'sport' which should be banned immediately in Ireland.

How punching a clearly concussed man in the back of the head repeatedly whilst holding him by the throat until a referee intervenes, a 'technical' involves compression of the spine and vital organs until you opponent is near unconscious, pressuring a limb to breaking point or kneeing a man in the face is a sport is beyond me.

There are more rules in bare knuckle boxing on halting sites.

Many people seem to confuse the immense training that the participants go through as giving this the status of a sport.

Its street fighting without the discipline of karate or boxing. I expect I will get a load of you just dont understand etc

I watched this

I know its vile, seems to attract people who relish an awful celebration after nearly beating a man to death, none of the mutual respect that boxing has.

It will be banned, we should lead the way and ban it first, let the participants go back to knocking lumps out of each other outside pubs.

Nice post OP. It shows your ignorance about the sport of MMA. Maybe you should actually look up the rules of MMA. So should we ban boxing, kickboxing, wrestling etc ?
    There has never been a death in the UFC. There has also not been any serious injuries (thank god). I have seen fights stopped in ufc from cuts which would have been allowed in boxing. It's safer to get hit by 6oz gloves and get knocked out than have your head rocked for 12 rounds with boxing gloves.
    MMA are one of the most elitist athletes in profession sport. The conditioning needed is unprecedented.
    Maybe you should actually watch some fights and see the technical aspect involved instead if watching a you tube KO compilation.
    Rant over ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

A lot of the posts in this thread are so mis-informed it's hilarious, almost as bad as this lad on the liveline.

Jesus wept..
    It's it's cage fighting or cage combat or TUFman they call it or Ultimate Fighter there's different names for it...

Jesus fairly swinging at a list of names hoping one is right :rolleyes:
    ..dey batter each other and a lot of these lads have died in the ring

Link me to one registered death as a direct result of an MMA fight..

_____

Posted along the same lines in the other AH MMA thread before. I've no interest nor understanding of GAA or most other sports, but I don't go throwing my opinion around as if I'm involved, jesus I wish people did the same thing. By relative comparison MMA is a safe enough sport once the right measures are in place, sure injuries happen but so do injuries in every other sport.

Calling for a ban is hilarious tbh.

It's quite heartening to see that your Joe-duffy-esque outraged OP has received a sum total of zero thanks.

F*ck ya, now I just went back and thanked him for larfs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It's quite an interesting sport but it isn't without it's issues, particularly weight divisions although that maybe improving. When you have great fighters like Fedor going up against the likes of Silva (much much bigger) to me that is an unfair match. And one fans of the sport don't acknowledge. It's like Roy Jones Jr going up against Tyson.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It's quite an interesting sport but it isn't without it's issues, particularly weight divisions although that maybe improving. When you have great fighters like Fedor going up against the likes of Silva (much much bigger) to me that is an unfair match. And one fans of the sport don't acknowledge. It's like Roy Jones Jr going up against Tyson.

What in the name of baby Jesus are you on about???

• Advertisement

LOOOOOOL but yeah what??? :confused:

Ok all joking aside OP to quote you;
    'Ultimate' Fighting Championship - Ireland should ban it first

Reading another thread brought my attention to this 'sport' which should be banned immediately in Ireland

I take it you're totally ignorant of the fact the the 'Ultimate Fighting Championship' is a promotion and not a sport?..

So would you like the see that particular promotion banned and let the other's continue or would you like to see the sport of Mixed Martial Arts banned?.

Significant height, weight and reach difference.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cgwiiu0ItfQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dcgwiiu0ItfQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

As I recall, in its earliest iterations, UFC had no weight divisions. While this made it more interesting, it also led to serious mismatches and made it possible for people to paint it as a freakshow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lets just for arguments sake say it was banned in Ireland. What effect would that actually have?
    Now I do not watch UFC but I believe it is available on Sky TV which would therefore still allow Irish people to watch it as normal on TV.
    Events in the Republic would be banned so all the Irish (ROI) fans would be forced to make the gruelling journey to Belfast/Manchester etc etc to watch their sport (similar to what foortball fans have been doing for years).

It would be naive to think that anyone else would ban it just becuse it was banned in little old Ireland. Noone else cared when we banned 'The Life of Brian' for example.

So the effect of banning it in Ireland would be the criminalisation of fit active young men who are channeling their aggression in a controlled club environment rather than elsewhere in unregulated venues ar worse still, in the streets.
    Some of these guys train at my gym and I can honestly say I wish I had their dedication to their health and fitness.

but there still in the same division???? thats like saying that amir khan shouldnt fight naseem hamed because hameds older!

They're both in the same weight division. You can't separate fighters based on height and reach aswell. That would be totally ridiculous. It was not a mismatch. Fedor was the most dominant mma fighter in the world at one stage. Far from a mismatch.

caspa307 wrote: »
    but there still in the same division???? thats like saying that amir khan shouldnt fight naseem hamed because hameds older!

Silva
    Height 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)
    Weight 266 lb (121 kg; 19 st 0 lb)

Fedor
    Height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
    Weight 107 kg (236 lb; 16 st 12 lb)

They maybe in the same division but should they be? I haven't followed he sport in recent years so I'm assuming they have improved weight divisions? Fedor should be Heavy Weight and Silva Super Heavy weight.

geeky wrote: »

As I recall, in its earliest iterations, UFC had no weight divisions. While this made it more interesting, it also led to serious mismatches and made it possible for people to paint it as a freakshow.
    Yeah that's true, but that was a long time ago and those days are long gone. There has been weight classes for quite some time now.

• Advertisement

Silva
    Height 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)
    Weight 266 lb (121 kg; 19 st 0 lb)

Fedor
    Height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
    Weight 107 kg (236 lb; 16 st 12 lb)

They maybe in the same division but should they be? I haven't followed he sport in recent years so I'm assuming they have improved weight divisions? Fedor should be Heavy Weight and Silva Super Heavy weight.

ok fair point i didnt realise there was that much of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Jesus, if you don't like it, don't get involved. Leave consenting adults do as they please.

http://m.askmen.com/sports/fanatic_300/316_which-is-more-dangerous-boxing-or-mma.html

Read, digest information, drop preconceived ideas and absorbed the facts.

Mma is safer than boxing.
    Mma does have weight bands the same as boxing
    The biggest detractors of mma are the boxing circle as they realise that many fans are turning to mma and it's amazing how many people believe their propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

You're getting a fierce arse handling on this thread OP. You should just bite your tongue from here on in.

Although I have to say, I see no sportsmanship in kneeing someone full force in the face or punching the back of their head(Yes I know it's illegal) while concussed.

They should get a bit more strict on extremes like that IMO.

Not really to be honest. Once you hit the heavyweight division then there is only a min weight limit, much the same as in boxing. Maybe a super-heavyweight division might make sense but who'd want to watch it and would there be enough really big men to fill it?

JRant wrote: »
    Not really to be honest. Once you hit the heavyweight division then there is only a min weight limit, much the same as in boxing. Maybe a super-heavyweight division might make sense but who'd want to watch it and would there be enough really big men to fill it?

I wouldnt mind a HW split like 205-235 and then have a 265 limit above that.
    A few places have had a Super HW division (usually capped around 300lbs) but theyve been sh!te

• Advertisement

I even heard boxing guys saying it's brutal because they are trapped in a cage. The cage is for fighter safety, because of the grappling Side of mma I.e wrestling, Brazilian jujitsu etc they would just Fall through the ropes.

JRant wrote: »

I would say they would have no problem getting a super heavy weight quota. I personally think that huge weight difference does have an impact especially if the fight develops to a wrestling match on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

Can't tell if OP is serious or just successful troll..

I would say they would have no problem getting a super heavy weight quota. I personally think that huge weight difference does have an impact especially if the fight develops to a wrestling match on the floor.
    In the hw category the slightly smaller man usually has a speed and cardio advantage. The hw class has been dominated by smaller men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If two grown men want to beat the poo out of each other, and have no problem with the idea of getting the poo beaten out of them, then I say let them at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement