Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Ultimate' Fighting Championship - Ireland should ban it first

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

acorn1702 wrote: »
    Can't tell if OP is serious or just successful troll..

Why should the OP be considered a troll?.

A lot of people feel the same as the OP.. Less than there used to be but a lot still do.

But I've never met anyone with a knowledge of the sport of MMA who held the same views.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

kylith wrote: »
    If two grown men want to beat the poo out of each other, and have no problem with the idea of getting the poo beaten out of them, then I say let them at it.
    I don't know, at some point fighter safety has to become important, that's why I think there should be a ban on boxing. Lets end this death sport and stop 90% of pro boxers getting brain damage. ( am I doing this right boxing guys)

gallag wrote: »
    I don't know, at some point fighter safety has to become important, that's why I think there should be a ban on boxing. Lets end this death sport and stop 90% of pro boxers getting brain damage. ( am I doing this right boxing guys)

And fishing too, more people die in fishing accidents in Ireland per annum than any combat sports... Its bleed'n mad I tells ya!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I was lucky enough to be at UFC 93 in the O2 Dublin, that event sold out 10,000 tickets in 2 weeks (fastest ever in Europe). The show was amazing, the skill these fighters have is unreal and if the OP watched a UFC event and listened to Joe Rogan doing the commentary he would see and hear himself how good skillful and how non-street fighting it is.

(You should have watched at least one before posting a non-educated rant)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcj1b383aY

As Dana White says it's a mixture of Olympic sports all rolled into one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Why should the OP be considered a troll?.

A lot of people feel the same as the OP.. Less than there used to be but a lot still do.

But I've never met anyone with a knowledge of the sport of MMA who held the same views.

Well made, fair point.

No needless aggression or insults.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    You're getting a fierce arse handling on this thread OP. You should just bite your tongue from here on in.

Although I have to say, I see no sportsmanship in kneeing someone full force in the face or punching the back of their head(Yes I know it's illegal) while concussed.

They should get a bit more strict on extremes like that IMO.

Not really its only MMA fans who are posting. Rest of the world is still in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

JRant wrote: »
    Well while looking up Mr Silva did you perhaps come across all the amazing charity work he does in his home country.

Cut the crap no ones letting Silva off trying to shoot someone for his charity work, everyone likes him because hes a great fighter and no one dislikes him because he can't speak English so we can't even understand what he says, I'd imagine hes fairly arrogant.
    MaxSteele wrote: »
    You're getting a fierce arse handling on this thread OP. You should just bite your tongue from here on in.

Its really weird to say someone is having their 'arse handed to them' on the internet, for all you know this guy just got 20 peoples temples pulsing while sitting there laughing. Doubt it though.

Anyway, I like MMA a bit, the only part I don't like is the 3 or 4 (often way more) ground and pound strikes that are aloud after a knock out, the referees reactions are very rarely quick enough while they figure out is the knocked out fighter 'intelligently defending himself'.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    is the 3 or 4 (often way more) ground and pound strikes that are aloud after a knock out, the referees reactions are very rarely quick enough while they figure out is the knocked out fighter 'intelligently defending himself'.

Seems thats what Ive been picking up watching it. That is very dangerous and detracts from the undoubted fitness of the fighters.

That is pure scum baggery

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Seems thats what Ive been picking up watching it. That is very dangerous and detracts from the undoubted fitness of the fighters.

Why is that "pure scum baggery"?.

I wouldn't stop fighting until the ref tells me to do so ~ all combat sports are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Anyway, I like MMA a bit, the only part I don't like is the 3 or 4 (often way more) ground and pound strikes that are aloud after a knock out, the referees reactions are very rarely quick enough while they figure out is the knocked out fighter 'intelligently defending himself'.

In fairness, a good ref should be able to tell exactly when to stop a fight to avoid a fighter getting any more unnecessary damage. Most of the time, the refs get it right. There has been a few appalling decisions by refs recently though. But that responsibility falls on the athletic commissions who employ the refs. They should ensure that the refs are up to the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not a fan of it myself but if a couple of goons want to violently pummel each other with little restraint until bloody and bruised then let them at it.

Nobody's been forced to follow or take part in the sport.

Not a fan of it myself but if a couple of goons want to violently pummel each other with little restraint until bloody and bruised then let them at it.

Nobody's been forced to follow or take part in the sport.

They have kids at it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

If this is all you can retort with you must know you're beaten

I wouldn't stop fighting until the ref tells me to do so ~ all combat sports are the same.

Of course and thats what the competitors do, but that dosn't make it right, Silva is one of the only fighters I've seen knock a guy out and not jump on top of him (or try). I'd just like to see it changed because it makes me feel sick everytime, its excessive violence. When I've talked to people who are into MMA and brought it up they've always laughed and said something like 'Sure how would you stop it anyway?' which I don't think is good enough.

Lads who do amateur MMA love the rep of this aspect of MMA, but I don't know anyone whos ever even had a full MMA fight, they spend most of their learning to wrestle/grapple and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and a small amount of time working on striking on pads.

Why is hitting a concussed man in the head scum baggery?

Because you could cause severe brain damage, swelling of the frontal lobes and at that stage the man cannot defend himself. Its gratuitous violence not sport.

Of course and thats what the competitors do, but that dosn't make it right, Silva is one of the only fighters I've seen knock a guy out and not jump on top of him (or try). I'd just like to see it changed because it makes me feel sick everytime, its excessive violence. When I've talked to people who are into MMA and brought it up they've always laughed and said something like 'Sure how would you stop it anyway?' which I don't think is good enough.

Lads who do amateur MMA love the rep of this aspect of MMA, but I don't know anyone whos ever even had a full MMA fight, they spend most of their learning to wrestle/grapple and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and a small amount of time working on striking on pads.

Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Well made, fair point.

No needless aggression or insults.

You're the only one dishing out the insults.

Don't post in this thread again.

Why is hitting a concussed man in the head scum baggery?

Because you could cause severe brain damage, swelling of the frontal lobes and at that stage the man cannot defend himself. Its gratuitous violence not sport.

Infairness their both grown men, trained dedicated fighters, agreeing to get into this in the terms laid out.

I just don't think they should have to agree with being hit when their concussed, but at the moment, they effectively are.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    If this is all you can retort with you must know you're beaten

Hardly. I have made over 20 posts and referenced scientific articles.

This is a debate not a fight. Your confusing it with enjoying watching concussed men getting punched in the face.

• Advertisement

Its almost impossible to replicate violence in the club/gym or sport.

Most martial arts styles are like this, ie a minority of athletes choosing to compete.

Hardly. I have made over 20 posts and referenced scientific articles.

This is a debate not a fight. Your confusing it with enjoying watching concussed men getting punched in the face.

The fact that you're so high and mighty over this makes your ignorance on the subject all the more astounding

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You're the only one dishing out the insults.

You have got to be joking.

Your now the police around here?

What will you do? Knock me out, knee me in the ribs beat me when Im concussed?

This is the type of aggression I would associate with someone involved in making money from this.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    The fact that you're so high and mighty over this makes your ignorance on the subject all the more astounding

Beating a concussed man is disgusting.

That is my base argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to be at UFC 93 in the O2 Dublin, that event sold out 10,000 tickets in 2 weeks (fastest ever in Europe). The show was amazing, the skill these fighters have is unreal and if the OP watched a UFC event and listened to Joe Rogan doing the commentary he would see and hear himself how good skillful and how non-street fighting it is.

(You should have watched at least one before posting a non-educated rant)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcj1b383aY

As Dana White says it's a mixture of Olympic sports all rolled into one.

I agree. I was at UFC 72 in Belfast '07. It was unreal. OP just needs to get his facts right before he starts spouting nonsense.

Oh yeah OP this is for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

They're professional fighters, do you expect them to stop and ask their opponent how they are? When your opponent looks vulnerable you must take advantage. Your idols of sportsmanship in boxing don't stop when their opponent is looking a little woozy - they stop when the referee gets in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

This is the type of aggression I would associate with someone involved in making money from this.
    Banned in 3.....2......1.....

I agree. I was at UFC 72 in Belfast '07. It was unreal. OP just needs to get his facts right before he starts spouting nonsense.

Oh yeah OP this is for you....

Hilarious.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Banned in 3.....2......1.....

If defending my position from someone gets me banned then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

you know what... your worth the infraction MrMatisse you are an asshole of the highest caliber

Dean09 wrote: »
    In fairness, a good ref should be able to tell exactly when to stop a fight to avoid a fighter getting any more unnecessary damage. Most of the time, the refs get it right. There has been a few appalling decisions by refs recently though. But that responsibility falls on the athletic commissions who employ the refs. They should ensure that the refs are up to the job.

A good ref should, I'm only going on anecdotal evidence here but I've almost never seen a UFC ref stop the fight after a knock out in time, you always see the knocked out man get a few digs to the head, I'd watch it more if this didn't happen.

Just to be clear I've also seen UFC stop alot of fights when I thought they should be allowed continue, small scrapes etc. They are maybe even a little too strict in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

No I'm not the police but i am a moderator for this forum and this is your last warning.

If defending my position from someone gets me banned then so be it.

You're not defending your position

All you're doing is retorting with idiotic lines like "pure scum baggery"

Super-Rush wrote: »
    No I'm not the police but i am a moderator for this forum and this is your last warning.

Fine taking this to the help desk.

I was trying to treat you with some respect, now I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Out to win hearts and minds, I see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ban it in Ireland. I'm sure the UFC will miss the revenue from that one show a year terribly.... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They have kids at it now.

Kids in the UFC?! :eek:

I wasn't really talking about MMA in general.. it's just another (albeit more violent) form of martial arts. Lots of kids do Judo, Thai Boxing etc. Presumably, they are also trained in discipline, and when not to use what they have learned.

I was only talking about the likes of UFC tbh, and the extremes to which MMA is taken by those who compete.

Most martial arts styles are like this, ie a minority of athletes choosing to compete.

I heard thats why boxers tend to be so effective against other fighters in street scenarios, they do so much sparing and learning to use their skill offensively and at full strength that say someone who does karate or krav maga or any of them.

I heard thats why boxers tend to be so effective against other fighters in street scenarios, they do so much sparing and learning to use their skill offensively and at full strength that say someone who does karate or krav maga or any of them.

I never really thought of it tbh.

I hold boxers in the higest regard in terms of fighting effectiveness, karate less so Krav Maga I'd say is almost pointless, although I hear people say its fun to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

any sport that tests against resisting opponnents is good for that(thai boxing etc).

One thing I found from sparring in thai is that you get used to people trying to box the head of ye..you dont panic and go 'ah **** this chap is trying to knock my head off' you just get on with it!

• Advertisement

I never really thought of it tbh.

I hold boxers in the higest regard in terms of fighting effectiveness, karate less so Krav Maga I'd say is almost pointless, although I hear people say its fun to do.
    any sport that tests against resisting opponnents is good for that(thai boxing etc).

One thing I found from sparring in thai is that you get used to people trying to box the head of ye..you dont panic and go 'ah **** this chap is trying to knock my head off' you just get on with it!

Yeh an interview on youtube somewhere, they talked about being more comfortable with the physicality and being attacked, and the effectiveness of training against resisting opponents but the main point was that boxing is the most effective form of self defence mainly because of the way its trained rather then the techniques being the most effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

From watching some fights and reading the lads experiences in the H&F forum, MMA seems very much about technique but the fighters on TV put on a good show that looks like brutal aggression for people who might not be knowledgeable about it.

I don't see why it should be banned.

Yeh an interview on youtube somewhere, they talked about being more comfortable with the physicality and being attacked, and the effectiveness of training against resisting opponents but the main point was that boxing is the most effective form of self defence mainly because of the way its trained rather then the techniques being the most effective.

Its an entirely different discussion but boxing's weakness as a self defence is the strikers fists are very vulnerable to injury.

Anyway the OP is gone now, and so am I :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

James Toney might disagree with you there.

James Toney might disagree with you there.

Not talking about MMA, talking about the effectiveness of it on the street etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Not talking about MMA, talking about the effectiveness of it on the street etc

The above seems to say exactly the opposite of what I think you are trying to say. That or you have just proven my point for me.

Either way, wanna try again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Mr Matisses, The UFC is so closely monitored by the commission, i've heard (maybe someone here could correct me) that if a fighter gets KO'd in a fight, he can't fight/train for another 3 months. I just had a quick glance at the video you posted, and taking for example the fight at 8.10, the ground fighter was taking a lot of hits, he could have signaled to the ref (who was standing beside him) that he'd had enough, or he could have taped out. I've seen a few fights (Mir/Nogeira for example) where a fighter could (and should!) have tapped out, but HE made the choice not to tap and got his arm broken. This is truly a great sport, i've been watching it for years, the fighters are very well looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Indeed, this is animal violence, not exactly tiddlywinks.

Im sue you would happy to be punched in the back of the head when concussed.

If you saw this in the street you would all the police and the guy would do serious time , be classed as a savage.

Strikes to the back of the head are illegal in the UFC.

• Advertisement

The above seems to say exactly the opposite of what I think you are trying to say. That or you have just proven my point for me.

Either way, wanna try again?

This is a conversation that started at post 139, maybe it is you that must try again, young grasshopper ;)

Advertisement