Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You happy living in Crumlin

Options
  • 28-10-2012 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I was recently left a house in Crumlin in a will. The house is fine but the road that the house is on has not got the best reputation I am told. I am from Drimnagh myself so I am used to the Crumlin/Drimnagh area.

I stayed up in the house recently to see what it is was like at night and there was a large gangs of teenagers (about 11 to 16 age) hanging around in the area and a wheelie bin was set on fire in the middle of a road not too far from the house. That worried me most is the fact that nobody went out to them and told them to F*** off.

I don't know if it was just the build up to Halloween or if there are always issues like this. I talked to the neighbours (nice people) and they told me that it is like that now and again but was bad that night. I mentioned about nobody going out to them and the neighbors told me it that it is best to ignore it. It has got me thinking again about the move and I will try and stay again after halloween to see if it is any better.

The criminal gang warfare stuff does not bother me as much as the teenagers to be honest. There are good and bad everywhere but I was thinking, have these issues got worse in recent years with anti social behaviour and intimidation in Crumlin in particular or is it like that in a lot of Dublin at the moment?

Would my family be able to keep to ourselves and come and go in peace in the area. I have always seen Drimnagh and Crumlin as being like that and thought that we generally would be able to go about our business without too much hassle but I am not so sure.

I would love to hear from people in the area. Are you happy living in Crumlin?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I am not from crumlin however I have had the displeasure of living quite close to it and having the teenagers like you speak of hanging around the esb box outside my garden, and attempting to steal the lads next door motor bike

I know they where from crumlin as i had seen the same group of lads time and time again over at the shops and around the particular area, as i said i didnt live in crumlin but my post code was just a technicality tbh

As for this happening everywhere in Dublin, tbh op i dont think so

I read a recent report in the irish indo that talks about the teenagers getting into trouble and how a few are the hard core crims of tomorrow, so you may not be worried about the crumlin/drimnagh feud nor worried about teenagers setting bins on fire, but if you plan on living there and maybe setting up family there I would be very worried.

We eventually moved and due to finances did look at living in D12 due to proximity to city centre but the points I state above where a big no no for me and we moved much further out due to these issues.

Maybe that you are from the area originally means you more comfortable with it, just like people from Tallaght say thats a great area, or people from Ballymun think the community spirit is great...I am not saying each of these areas are bad as you get good and bad everywhere but they do have a reputation and time and time again when you hear bad news stories there are certain areas that appear more than others.

I do think its what you are comfortable with at the end of the day and what you are willing to put up with. For you own safety I would never confront any of these teenagers as some today think nothing of getting a gun and blowing your head off, or if they are not quite on that scale yet then do you really want consent harassment with the guards hands tied to do nothing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Live in drimnagh not from the area so I can speak objectively . Always been grand and quiet where we are and yes we have young kids. Would move only to get a bigger house. People leave you to get on with your business....not to say there's not rougher parts and tbh more so round crumlin these days in my view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Cheers for replying.

I grew up in Drimnagh myself. My parents still live there and beyond the odd ball bouncing off the window and a few cheeky kids they never had much bother and I like the area. There was a lot of drugs in the area but thats the same in all areas.

Its really the gang thing and the fact that nobody would go out to them that worries me. If teenagers were sitting on my railings and having a few cans someone went out and told them to move on then they would when I was growing up in Drimnagh. The neighbors up on this road told me that the gangs would smash your windows (at the least) if you said anything to them you would become a target. They also told me that the Guards do nothing and there is no point knocking up to the teenagers houses. Same gang tried to burn down the Garda station in 2010 in Crumlin.

See link: http://www.herald.ie/news/gang-rioted-then-returned-to-burn-down-garda-station-2348296.html

Will spend a bit more time up there and see how it goes. I could have just been unlucky the last time when I was up there.

Advertisement