Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loud music in nightclubs

• 28-10-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I went to a club in Dublin city center last night and the music was so loud, it was nearly impossible to have a conversation without shouting. So my question is, why do they have the music so loud in nightclubs? I also paid 6 euro for a pint which is another issue in its self.
    Is there any pubs or clubs in Dublin that dont have the music so loud, to the stage where you might consider bringing earphones and use an alternative way of communicating, like texting?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you were willing to pay 6 quid for a pint, you got what you deserved imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

The Long Hall on George's Street, great boozer, no music, TV only comes on for big sporting events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Dem pesky kids

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Irishwolff

Well obviously didnt know the price before hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Because they think its great, where I live they play the music so loud that you can hear the speakers distorting and cracking its bloody ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 StankyStevie

music is played load in clubs so you can't talk and drink more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Congrats, you're officially too old for clubbing.
    Pull up a still and pass the Times, cheers.

I was wondering if it was an attempt to encourage you to drink more

Not really, I always thought it was too loud and Im sure Im not alone in that point of view.

So my question is aimed at finding out what clubs and pubs in Dublin, have the music playing at a reasonable level

• Advertisement

how old are you OP?

efb wrote: »
    how old are you OP?
    In my early twenties. I was just wondering if other people were experiencing the same thing... or maybe it was just the club I was in

Wow!
    might be giving away my age here but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Clubs charge more - people drink more when the music is loud because they can't just chat - Clubs rake in profit...

🤪

surely people go to clubs to dance? (and take illicit substances)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Irishwolff wrote: »
    Is there any pubs or clubs in Dublin
    The George.

Have fun.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Clubs charge more - people drink more when the music is loud because they can't just chat - Clubs rake in profit...
    For a second I thought I was getting too old but yeah I knew there was some logical thinking behind it. Play the music loud and people will drink more. To be honest, in the past I noticed the more drunk I am, the less aware I am of the music and tend to talk alot lounder. Then I wake up the next morning and my throat is sore from shouting the night before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

As I go clubbing quite a bit, the sound levels are something that concerns me but I haven't gone about looking into it until now (your thread has reminded me). Here in Madrid, clubs (in some, at least) have a decibel meter attached to the system by the DJ booth so that people can check out what the levels are like. Last night, in one club the level was about 96 dB and the club I went to on Thursday night was as 105dB.
    I've just checked the decibel time exposure guide http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/ and found that the permissible time for being in an environment at 96 is just an hour (I was there for two), and on Thursday night, for 105, I should only have been there for about four minutes (I was there for four hours).
    I don't know where exactly the mic for this thing is placed in the club but I presume it's in a reasonably neutral spot, i.e. not right beside a speaker.
    Either way, the music is definitely too loud.
    Option one is to stop going but that's not going to happen. Option two is to bring earplugs. I know some DJs get bespoke ones made but they cost a lot (granted, not as costly as losing your hearing). I have seen more general club ones in a music store I go to, so I will ask about them as I don't want the music I love to slowly fade away as I get older.

biko wrote: »
    The George.

Have fun.

Cool thanks. I will go there the next night

As I go clubbing quite a bit, the sound levels are something that concerns me but I haven't gone about looking into it until now (your thread has reminded me). Here in Madrid, clubs (in some, at least) have a decibel meter attached to the system by the DJ booth so that people can check out what the levels are like. Last night, in one club the level was about 96 dB and the club I went to on Thursday night was as 105dB.
    I've just checked the decibel time exposure guide http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/ and found that the permissible time for being in an environment at 96 is just an hour (I was there for two), and on Thursday night, for 105, I should only have been there for about four minutes (I was there for four hours).
    I don't know where exactly the mic for this thing is placed in the club but I presume it's in a reasonably neutral spot, i.e. not right beside a speaker.
    Either way, the music is definitely too loud.
    Option one is to stop going but that's not going to happen. Option two is to bring earplugs. I know some DJs get bespoke ones made but they cost a lot (granted, not as costly as losing your hearing). I have seen more general club ones in a music store I go to, so I will ask about them as I don't want the music I love to slowly fade away as I get older.
    Excellent post, well said. Its important to take care of your hearing. I have often left nightclubs with ringing in my ears which I know is not a good sign

• Advertisement

The George is pretty loud, and not just the clothes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Why are you going to nightclubs to have a conversation? That's like going to the library for a dance...

leggo wrote: »
    Why are you going to nightclubs to have a conversation? That's like going to the library for a dance...
    Yeah sure go to a nighclub and only have non verbal communication. Why didnt I think of that before

I was in a clothes shop yesterday in Dublin, can't remember which one, but they had the music pumping extraordinarily loud - at the level of a nightclub, I would imagine. Is this the norm now?

Yeah sure go to a nighclub and only have non verbal communication. Why didnt I think of that before

No. Walk up to girls and try to shift the face off them while gyrating distractedly to the beat.

That's pretty much what nightclubs are for.

If you're ugly, don't though, or they'll call you a creep.

And stick to pubs for the DMCs pal. :)

leggo wrote: »
    No. Walk up to girls and try to shift the face off them while gyrating distractedly to the beat.

That's pretty much what nightclubs are for.

If you're ugly, don't though, or they'll call you a creep.

And stick to pubs for the DMCs pal. :)
    Sounds prehistoric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

That's like going to the swimming pool and complaining about getting wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

In 30 years time we'll all be half blind from too much looking at small screens too close, deaf from nightclubs with noise levels above legal limits and obese from sitting on our holes eating and drinking crap!

Im generalising of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I was under the impression that loud music was the point of a nightclub.

What ticks me off is when bars and pubs play ridiculously loud music, so it's impossible to talk to anyone. That gets my goat, that does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I only ever go to night clubs when I'm too drunk to care about anything, don't notice the music being too loud :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This has been bugging me too OP.

Does anyone else think they have been playing music louder in nightclubs in the last year or two ? I've certainly noticed alot more places where my ears are actually painful from the volume. Now possibly thats me getting old - at least thats what i thought at first - but recently was in Germany and Inoticed the volumes much lower in general there (and as a result less distortion and better quality sound) and also no pain in my ears. So now I'm inclined to think they have upped the volume in many places here.

Anyone else think this ?

This has been bugging me too OP.

Does anyone else think they have been playing music louder in nightclubs in the last year or two ? I've certainly noticed alot more places where my ears are actually painful from the volume. Now possibly thats me getting old - at least thats what i thought at first - but recently was in Germany and Inoticed the volumes much lower in general there (and as a result less distortion and better quality sound) and also no pain in my ears. So now I'm inclined to think they have upped the volume in many places here.

Anyone else think this ?

Nah, you're giving clubs too much credit for being able to come up with some kind of concerted, unified effort for whatever reason. Most of the time it's probably just DJs/staff not understanding how the PA, levels etc work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Peters Pub as well, no music, no matches

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Jaded Jester

In a dark corner of an anonymous nightclub on a rainy night lost in the middle of winter with an almost toxic level of alcohol surging through my veins I felt myself disappear completely to the loud beat of a plastic pop song and I saw the act at the heart of all human action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Haven't been to a nightclub in years, much prefer to stay in the pub until 5 or 6am and then either head home or hit some of the morning gigs. Signs of getting old :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

jonon9 wrote: »
    Because they think its great, where I live they play the music so loud that you can hear the speakers distorting and cracking its bloody ****

They know it's sh1t. It's a case of shut up and drink rummy. When you can't talk you drink faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The reason they have it so fecking loud is so that you can hear it from two blocks away outside in the street, at least thats what it sounds like from Coyotes in Forster St, Galway with a queue stretching about these two blocks.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Can't see anything wrong with music being too loud for chat in nightclubs - they're supposed to be places where you dance.

Music being too loud in pubs though - yeh I don't see the need for it; people want to chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Have a small amount of tinnitus in one ear from loud music in a pub; only need one night out in a ****ty place like this, to do permanent damage.
    If you hear any ringing in your ears after being at a pub or wherever, generally that indicates some damage is already done, so don't hang around once you notice the music is really loud.

I don't know why it's something that's not clamped down on really, because (seeing as it can cause permanent hearing damage) it's something you think would have legal limits, such as a maximum decibel rating and such?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I went to a club in Dublin city center last night and the music was so loud, it was nearly impossible to have a conversation without shouting. So my question is, why do they have the music so loud in nightclubs? I also paid 6 euro for a pint which is another issue in its self.
    Is there any pubs or clubs in Dublin that dont have the music so loud, to the stage where you might consider bringing earphones and use an alternative way of communicating, like texting?!

I strongly suggest that you stay away from the fleshpots of Kilmuckridge, down there the only thing you'll hear 'ringing in your ears' is the laughter of the locals as they watch you poncing about the dance floor like a big Dublin jessie.
    Believe me, I know what I'm talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I can't hear you OP, the feckin musics too loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Here in Madrid, clubs (in some, at least) have a decibel meter attached to the system by the DJ booth so that people can check out what the levels are like. Last night, in one club the level was about 96 dB and the club I went to on Thursday night was as 105dB.

Irish Clubs regularly push 120 upwards. I really feel sorry for bar staff. In any other industry they would be walking around wearing hearing protectors.

I wear custom ear plugs to clubs when I can. It really helps, only problem is you keep forgetting you have to shout back to people. Got them originally as my hearing is a bit gone from riding a motorbike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Irish Clubs regularly push 120 upwards. I really feel sorry for bar staff. In any other industry they would be walking around wearing hearing protectors.

I wear custom ear plugs to clubs when I can. It really helps, only problem is you keep forgetting you have to shout back to people. Got them originally as my hearing is a bit gone from riding a motorbike.

Why not wear ear plugs whilst watching TV, some of them ads can be fierce loud.
    Oh, don't forget the dark glasses for the 'strobe lighting effect', particularly on some of those modern programmes.
    If a burglar ever breaks in whilst you're glued to 'Last of the Summer Wine' he'll turn on his heels screaming "help".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

9959 wrote: »

Why not wear ear plugs whilst watching TV, some of them ads can be fierce loud.
    Oh, don't forget the dark glasses for the 'strobe lighting effect', particularly on some of those modern programmes.
    If a burglar ever breaks in whilst you're glued to 'Last of the Summer Wine' he'll turn on his heels screaming "help".
    You know perfectly well theres a big difference between nightclub sound systems and a tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

I laugh at people who talk about their social life when it includes going outside yourself pissed and going into a club and not having a single conversation unless in the smoking area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I really hope someone working in a nightclub bar sues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

ArseLtd wrote: »
    I laugh at people who talk about their social life when it includes going outside yourself pissed and going into a club and not having a single conversation unless in the smoking area.

people usually "socialize" before they go to the nightclub. i know very few if any people who drink and go out on their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

I am what some would call an Old Skool Raver.
    I attended raves from 1992 when I was 15 years of age.
    One of the clubs I used to attend was The Ministry of Sound in London.
    My friends all used to laugh and take the piss out of me for wearing ear plugs there as the music was so loud.
    Now some of them suffer with tinnitus and hearing loss.
    I have looked after my hearing over the years, both in and out of the clubs.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't know how people can be arsed with pints in nightclubs. What's the point in paying in to a nightclub if you're going to stand at the side or sit in the corner drinking your pint, seeing as if you go anywhere else with it you'll end up wearing half of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

ArseLtd wrote: »

So true, mass is fierce craic altogether. What more could you want?

• Advertisement
Advertisement