Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you improve London ?

Options
  • 28-10-2012 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I'd level all that crap in Zones 4.5 & 6, what's the point of Hounslow, Greenford, Croydon or Dagenham etc, etc,?

Why would anyone want to go theses places or live in them and what do they contribute to London?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. I lived in Croydon when I first arrived (1996) for 6 years in the same flat. Much better than I could have afforded in zone 1 and only 25 minutes from front door to my desk because of great transport service. Lots of decent local restaurants and shopping. With the brandification of restaurants and high streets, it probably looks most places. Dagenham on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

dd972 wrote: »
    I'd level all that crap in Zones 4.5 & 6

And where would you suggest the 8 million or so residents of the Greater London Area live?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd level all that crap in Zones 4.5 & 6, what's the point of Hounslow, Greenford, Croydon or Dagenham etc, etc,?

Why would anyone want to go theses places or live in them and what do they contribute to London?

They contribute living space to ease the extraordinary demand for housing in the greater london area.

If, despite appearances, you're not just trying your hand at trolling here, please explain why you think the line should be drawn at Zone 4 and what benefit this excision would provide the remaining Londoners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It would be a much better city if all that rubbish wasn't there, the city centre would be more accessible and there'd be a more friendlier and socially cohesive vibe, much prefer Dublin or Manchester tbh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It would be a much better city if all that rubbish wasn't there, the city centre would be more accessible and there'd be a more friendlier and socially cohesive vibe, much prefer Dublin or Manchester tbh

Well it's good that you've got the choice of those places as well, isn't it? :)

If London were compressed as you suggest, there'd be greater pressure on every available resource which would mean the cost of living would go up. I seriously doubt that eliminating the outer parts of London would have any impact on the social cohesion of the inner city, and frankly if you want your opinion on such things taken seriously you'd probably need to demonstrate a greater understanding of what's actually found in the Greater London area, rather than just dismissively suggesting that it's all rubbish.

I don't see this thread going anywhere interesting, so I'm locking it. If you genuinely think there's an interesting discussion to be had, PM me and we can discuss it further.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement