Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Regular Season 2012/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Looks like Wall has been lurking on this thread and decided tonight he would go out to prove us all wrong! Career high 47 points

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I forgot how bad the Lakers are when they are at full strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

buyer95 wrote: »
    Looks like Wall has been lurking on this thread and decided tonight he would go out to prove us all wrong! Career high 47 points

Always had faith :pac:

Warriors up by 23 at the half on Lakers, everyone is making big plays, great atmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Denver's streak stopped by New Orleans. The Hornets are on a mini streak themselves, beating Boston, Memphis and now Denver in their last 3 game. However this is a bad time for The Hornets to be winning games. They could be playing themselves down the Draft order.

stuchyg wrote: »
    A problem for the wiz could be the lack of a viable pg in the draft as ud imagine they have a
    Lottery pick. Sign and trade with josh smith maybe.

There are a few solid PG's expected to enter the Draft but right now Washington are in line for a 9th or 10th pick. So Marcus Smart and Trey Burke will probably be gone

Washington are more likely to go for a big man rather than a Guard. Someone like Alex Len, Kelly Olynyk or Mason Plumlee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm not revising my opinion based on one big game against a Grizzlies team missing Marc Gasol blocking up the lane. One swallow does not a summer make and all that. He's still not even close to the Top 10 PG's in the league in my opinion.

There are at least 10 PG better than Wall

Rondo
    Parker
    Irving
    Paul
    Holiday
    Williams
    Curry
    Conley
    Westbrook
    Lillard

I'm not revising my opinion based on one big game against a Grizzlies team missing Marc Gasol blocking up the lane. One swallow does not a summer make and all that. He's still not even close to the Top 10 PG's in the league in my opinion.

I never said anywhere he's in the top 10 P.G's in the league, my comment was in jest:D

There are at least 10 PG better than Wall

Rondo
    Parker
    Irving
    Paul
    Holiday
    Williams
    Curry
    Conley
    Westbrook
    Lillard

Luckily for him there are 30 teams in the NBA.

• Advertisement

Luckily for him there are 30 teams in the NBA.
    Nobody has suggested he's not good enough to be a starting PG in the NBA. Ofcourse he is. But some of us don't think he is good enough to warrant a max contract from the Wizards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

See, I get what people are saying, but what would you do if you're the Wizards? Someone will snap him up for stupid money if they don't, or he'll go to a bigger franchise like the Lakers if he doesn't get max money (who don't need the PG to run the show if 'Operation Dwight' comes to fruition; and they'll need to replace Nash shortly too). He's their only bright note in an otherwise miserable season. Their only ray of hope. You can say that they could build through the draft and free up the cap space, but why take the risk and not free up space elsewhere when you've a proven game-winner on-board? The trade market is a risky prospect too. Look at how quickly the 76ers have devolved from being a team nearly in the Eastern Finals to an absolute mess...just because they took a punt that looked decent on paper. If Washington took a hit that bad next year then they'd be rivaling the Bobcats for worst franchise season ever.

It's a rock and a hard place situation. Wall isn't worth, say, what a Kyrie Irving would be in an open market on talent and prospects alone. But Kyrie-caliber players come by for a franchise once a generation, if you're lucky. You've got to make the best of what you've got and, right now, Wall is the best the Wizards have got.

leggo wrote: »
    See, I get what people are saying, but what would you do if you're the Wizards? Someone will snap him up for stupid money if they don't, or he'll go to a bigger franchise like the Lakers if he doesn't get max money (who don't need the PG to run the show if 'Operation Dwight' comes to fruition; and they'll need to replace Nash shortly too). He's their only bright note in an otherwise miserable season. Their only ray of hope. You can say that they could build through the draft and free up the cap space, but why take the risk and not free up space elsewhere when you've a proven game-winner on-board? The trade market is a risky prospect too. Look at how quickly the 76ers have devolved from being a team nearly in the Eastern Finals to an absolute mess...just because they took a punt that looked decent on paper. If Washington took a hit that bad next year then they'd be rivaling the Bobcats for worst franchise season ever.

It's a rock and a hard place situation. Wall isn't worth, say, what a Kyrie Irving would be in an open market on talent and prospects alone. But Kyrie-caliber players come by for a franchise once a generation, if you're lucky. You've got to make the best of what you've got and, right now, Wall is the best the Wizards have got.

Exactly, it's the nature of the beast that is the NBA, landing the LeBron James of this world needs a lot of luck, you take what you think is best and work with it, you sometimes get gems and some flops. I think Wall will be a solid franchise player, he has the talent for it, just needs to mature into the role a bit. Wizards will be competing for playoffs next year I would hope.

Dallas are now just one game behind the Lakers for the 8th spot in the West.

They play eachother next Wednesday, Could be a playoff decider

Question for all. Can The Bulls end "the streak" tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Question for all. Can The Bulls end "the streak" tonight?

Yeah, it ends tonight. We've got the Lebron-stopper - Jimmy Butler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Bulls end it tonight. I just wish we had Rose playing but hey, we have already beaten them once on their own court this season so we certainly have a chance. We're 2.5 games behind the Nets for home court advantage in the playoffs so we could do with every win we can get.

My point is this: they (the Wizards) don't HAVE to make Wall the franchise - yet they seem to be treating this like the whole world will fall apart if they don't sign him. They could use the money they'd be paying him to lure a potential free agent in the summer or next year. There are (as I have pointed out) many players both in his position and other positions better than Wall more worthy of a max contract than Wall. This year is pretty thin admittedly with Dwight Howard and Josh Smith being the only two really high profile players available, but look at the 2014 list.....

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents/

If they give Wall the money, that removes them from even being in the conversation for any of those player. For those of you who haven't clicked, that list includes one Lebron James..............and Kobe, Wade, Irving, Melo and DeMarcus Cousins. Not saying any of those guys would give up what they have, but unless you ask, you'll never know. And the list is deep talent wise - a sharp GM could pick up two very good players for the price Wall is commanding. And Kevin Love is a free agent in 2015.

Now if I'm in the Wiz GM's seat, do I give Wall all he wants now and remove myself from that table, or do I make a pitch to a regular All Star about coming to play ball in the capital city and be the face of the franchise? If it were me, I'd be having some long conversations with agents around the league.

Some game in Dallas. Got to say, as much time for Dirk as I do have, II thought that was a flop at the death on the Griffin basket. I always said Clippers are deep but damn is Bledsoe so hot and cold. Really need Billups back and 100% fit to bring some calm to the team when things aren't going right and CP3 is on the bench.

Celtics - Knicks game was a whole lot of meh. JR Smith played well as did K-Mart (who's been really good since signing) but that aside, awful game to watch. No KG didn't help the Celtics obviously. Running on fumes it feels like. 5 losses in a row, while the opposite can be said for the Knicks who have Amare and Chandler still to return.

Oh don't if anyone saw Inside The NBA last night but Matt Winer quizzes Shaq, Dennis Scott, and Penny Hardaway (really enjoyed listening to him) on the NCAA basketball tourney. The questions are multiple choice, but it really gets good on the bonus question which has no answers to choose from. Bonus question was like -

How many games are left to be played now in the sweet 16, 16 teams remaining?

Shaq answered 4. Scott couldn't answer. Hardway answered 8.

:pac:

Inside has been good recently with the old Orlando trio. Shaq, Penny and 3D.
    This was great from a few weeks back

• Advertisement

My point is this: they (the Wizards) don't HAVE to make Wall the franchise - yet they seem to be treating this like the whole world will fall apart if they don't sign him. They could use the money they'd be paying him to lure a potential free agent in the summer or next year. There are (as I have pointed out) many players both in his position and other positions better than Wall more worthy of a max contract than Wall. This year is pretty thin admittedly with Dwight Howard and Josh Smith being the only two really high profile players available, but look at the 2014 list.....

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents/

If they give Wall the money, that removes them from even being in the conversation for any of those player. For those of you who haven't clicked, that list includes one Lebron James..............and Kobe, Wade, Irving, Melo and DeMarcus Cousins. Not saying any of those guys would give up what they have, but unless you ask, you'll never know. And the list is deep talent wise - a sharp GM could pick up two very good players for the price Wall is commanding. And Kevin Love is a free agent in 2015.

Now if I'm in the Wiz GM's seat, do I give Wall all he wants now and remove myself from that table, or do I make a pitch to a regular All Star about coming to play ball in the capital city and be the face of the franchise? If it were me, I'd be having some long conversations with agents around the league.

They should probably wait until next year to be safe since they will have the option to match any offers he gets. He has the potential to be up there with the likes of rose and westbrook, he is still younger than Lillard who will most likely be rookie of the year so he has got time, no one can deny how good he can be.
    I would rather they added some more solid players around him, someone like Garnett.

The streak is in trouble. I know Miami can come back, but the Bulls are roughing them up good in the first half. Something special from LeBron is needed fast if the Heat are to keep going.

Oh, and in worse news, the Bobcats just beat the Magic. We're one game away from being the worst team in the NBA now. Brilliant.

Heat lose. Streak ends at 27. Great hussle and intensity from the Bulls, and likewise atmosphere.

The streak is over! Love it.

pr1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Great win for the Bulls considering how many players they were missing, they just wanted it more!

I'd love to see a play-off series between the pair now. You watch top teams lose in the regular season and it's clear that it's just down to fatigue, or injuries, or just taking a night off. But none of that was the case last night, Chicago just know how to beat the Heat. Miami made no secret of the fact that they wanted that streak, and they didn't give up until the end, but they just couldn't get it done. Now if Derrick Rose was to come back for the play-offs and face them, things would get very interesting...

Jeff Green :b

I'd love to see a play-off series between the pair now. You watch top teams lose in the regular season and it's clear that it's just down to fatigue, or injuries, or just taking a night off. But none of that was the case last night, Chicago just know how to beat the Heat. Miami made no secret of the fact that they wanted that streak, and they didn't give up until the end, but they just couldn't get it done. Now if Derrick Rose was to come back for the play-offs and face them, things would get very interesting...

They were also missing an All-Star Center in Joakim Noah. Rose returning would be another boost.

Not to take anything away from Hinrich and Robinson, Without their experience in the back court the Bulls wouldn't have been able to win last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭BQQ

Fair play!

That was a great win for the Chicago Bears. :P:pac:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Danny Granger out for the rest of the year and will have surgery on his knee. Have to wonder why this is being decided so late - he was supposed to be ready to come back and now this? Strange.
    Anyway the best of luck to him with his recovery. Time for Lance to shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Pau is terrible! Should not have been near the court in the 4th!

Gasol needs to go-sol*. The Lakers' mojo has been ruined again since he's come back. Great player but it's clear he doesn't fit into this team and having a player who is too-good-to-bench is causing selection headaches for D'Antoni. On current form, the Mavs are getting that 8th spot.

*Sorry.

The Lakers are losing but neither Dallas nor Utah are able to take advantage when the opportunity falls. It's the Mavs and Jazz own fault if they miss the cut. They have been had their chances and blew it on several occasions

Only got to watch the Bulls-Heat game last night, some atmosphere in Chicago (I was there a few years ago and it like a morgue by comparison to the other night). On this performance alone Thibs shows why he's pretty much the 2nd best coach in the NBA (just behind Pop).

Big balls from Heindrich for the job he did on LeBron and big step up from the entire Bulls roster. LeBron calling for flagrants is a bit of a sore loser move. The Heindrich one was a bit weird, but there's not many guys will front up to a full speed LeBron like that.

Anyone see the off balance shot Griffin hit the other night and was incorrectly (IMO) called off? Pretty impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It's funny seeing the first page of this thread and threads on other forums with people picking a Lakers v Heat final etc.

Saw threads on inside hoops forum with a quote from MWP saying they would like to beat the Bulls record and go 73-9 for the season. Another thread saying all aboard the Lakers championship flight.

All before the season started. Its not funny in a haha you were wrong kind of way, just funny how bad it went for the Lakers. Fast forward 6 months and they're barely clinging on to 8th.

Gasol is an issue, but it's the Lakers' and namely Kobe's turnovers that are killed them last night, back to his frustrating worst. Fortunate for him that he was at the line in Durant fashion as it covered up his horrendous game somewhat.

Last night and the game vs the Twolves, Gasol overall has been okay. Nash going off injured early in the 2nd half(?) was also significant.

Lakers are damn fortunate Mavs are playing like scrubs too more than half the time. Great B2B win for the Pacers in Texas, but a putrid performance from the Mavericks. Really thought they'd come out firing with a chance to pull within 1 game off the playoff spot

On a different note, Bill Walton needs to commentate on more games and not just Kings games. Unintentionally funny is an understatement.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Gasol is an issue, but it's the Lakers' and namely Kobe's turnovers that are killed them last night, back to his frustrating worst. Fortunate for him that he was at the line in Durant fashion as it covered up his horrendous game somewhat.

Last night and the game vs the Twolves, Gasol overall has been okay. Nash going off injured early in the 2nd half(?) was also significant.

Lakers are damn fortunate Mavs are playing like scrubs too more than half the time. Great B2B win for the Pacers in Texas, but a putrid performance from the Mavericks. Really thought they'd come out firing with a chance to pull within 1 game off the playoff spot

On a different note, Bill Walton needs to commentate on more games and not just Kings games. Unintentionally funny is an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

My NBA app just showing blank screen for live games.

Working on iPad not i phone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭me89

Lebron is on fire.

5 of 5 from down town.

Anybody on game time try if it works for me ?

Focusing more on the college ball tonight, but kept half an eye on the Spurs - Clippers game. Was a great watch. Tim Duncan just continues to amaze.

Been watching college ball, but just checked the scores there, it looks like the Clippers v Spurs game was great, looking forward to watching it over the weekend. Knicks make it 6 in a row, JR is unconscious atm, 37 tonight.

• Advertisement

Lakers officially drop out of the Play-offs places last night

westkr.png

Lakers officially drop out of the Play-offs places last night

westkr.png

Love the fact that D'Antoni revealed during the week their huddle call is "Championship" :rolleyes:

Looking at the their respective remaining games. The Lakers are in real danger for missing the playoffs. I have a feeling they will fall short

Looking at the their respective remaining games. The Lakers are in real danger for missing the playoffs. I have a feeling they will fall short
    The lakers and Utah have very similar schedules so it will come down to execution. With Gasol, Kobe, and Nash starting, that is an extremely weak defensive unit, and Howard can't make up for the defensive deficiencies of 3 guys. Basically the lakers will have to out score their opponents, granted something which D'Antoni wouldn't be adverse to! But it's a risky business, especially with the way Utah have been playing. The lakers have a battle on their hands

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Focusing more on the college ball tonight, but kept half an eye on the Spurs - Clippers game. Was a great watch. Tim Duncan just continues to amaze.

Yeah good game, has me looking forward to the Western Conference Playoffs. Ginobili went out with a tight hamstring early in the game, hopefully he'll be ok.
    The lakers and Utah have very similar schedules so it will come down to execution. With Gasol, Kobe, and Nash starting, that is an extremely weak defensive unit, and Howard can't make up for the defensive deficiencies of 3 guys. Basically the lakers will have to out score their opponents, granted something which D'Antoni wouldn't be adverse to! But it's a risky business, especially with the way Utah have been playing. The lakers have a battle on their hands

Lakers-Mavs on Tuesday will be a big one, with the Mavs still not out of it and playing a lot better now than earlier in the season (10-5 in their last 15 games, I see).

The Bulls play the Mavs this evening, and I'm fearing a bit of a let-down effect after the Heat game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement