Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2012/13

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

That was a hell of a finish. That 3 pointer Kobe nailed was ridiculous. Was sure he made the hail mary pass for 3 finish as well. John Wall was excellent for the Wiz. Their form since he returned speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Good article in sports illustrated the other day on John Wall and the Wizards re. Is he worth a max contract or not. For me,it's a big NO, but the Wizard seem to want to break the bank for him.

http://nba.si.com/2013/03/19/john-wall-wizards-contract/

Strange.....wouldn't see Wall as a franchise guy myself.

Steph Curry did his ankle again last night so will likely be out for a couple of games.

Big dunk from Boogie Cousins worth checking out too:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Good article in sports illustrated the other day on John Wall and the Wizards re. Is he worth a max contract or not. For me,it's a big NO, but the Wizard seem to want to break the bank for him.

http://nba.si.com/2013/03/19/john-wall-wizards-contract/

Strange.....wouldn't see Wall as a franchise guy myself.

Steph Curry did his ankle again last night so will likely be out for a couple of games.

Big dunk from Boogie Cousins worth checking out too:

No he doesn't deserve a max. Wall is average by NBA standards.

Washington pay Nene and Okafor $13m so he wouldn't be the 1st overpaid player on their team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Washington pay Nene and Okafor $13m so he wouldn't be the 1st overpaid player on their team

Okafor is in the last year of his contract as are Ariza and some others so Washington have a lot of room for restructuring. They really have to give Wall a maxcontract, nothing too crazy but I think you have to have some faith in him, he is only 22 and has shown some real periods of brilliance. Having said that they could always wait another season and see how he progresses but then you have the problem of him being a free agent I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lost in the Miami Heat streak is the fact the Nuggets have now gone 15 unbeaten, which is a franchise record. Extremely impressive when you consider they've played OKC (twice), LAC, CHI, LAL, NYK in that streak.

They should beat NO tomorrow before a cracking game at the Spurs is in prospect on Wednesday. Win that (unlikely, I know) and the only game where you probably wouldn't have them penciled in as favourites between now and the end of the season is another game against the Spurs.

Interesting times ahead for the Nuggets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just to let anyone who doesn't know, we are starting up an online association mode for NBA 2K13 xbox 360, for anyone who is interested. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83806976#post83806976

Great finish in Houston. Harden knocks the jumper to give the Rockets a 1 point win over the Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ok, but why exacerbate an existing problem on a big gamble on Wall? I can't believe a guy like Wall (who has done sweet FA in his time in the NBA) can be a max player. There's got to be 30+ better players in the league that you could aim and build your team around with Wall's contract money.

For me nobody that isn't Box Office should be getting max contracts. Unless you're the guy the fans are buying seats to see.

I doubt there is anyone in DC saying. "Let's go see John Wall play"

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Lost in the Miami Heat streak is the fact the Nuggets have now gone 15 unbeaten, which is a franchise record. Extremely impressive when you consider they've played OKC (twice), LAC, CHI, LAL, NYK in that streak.

They should beat NO tomorrow before a cracking game at the Spurs is in prospect on Wednesday. Win that (unlikely, I know) and the only game where you probably wouldn't have them penciled in as favourites between now and the end of the season is another game against the Spurs.

Interesting times ahead for the Nuggets.

Yeah, they've had a much tougher schedule than Miami's (which has been pretty easy bar the odd tough game). Denver are about as deep as it gets in the NBA and have no one real superstar on whom they depend; but that, coupled with their style of play will cause them problems in the half-court playoffs. They will not be fast-breaking all night in the playoffs. They're a team no-one will want to play if Denver have home court advantage for the series; but equally, no-one will fear them if they have home-court advantage themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Can anyone tell me when the NBA season finishes. I am going out to arizona in May and was hoping to catch a game if its still on. Thanks

Regular season ends w/c 15th April, playoff start pretty much straight away.

If you're going to Phoenix, you won't be seeing any games in May.....:rolleyes:

You could catch an internal flight though to go to another game in the West as a lot of cities have easy access from Phoenix.

Ok, but why exacerbate an existing problem on a big gamble on Wall? I can't believe a guy like Wall (who has done sweet FA in his time in the NBA) can be a max player. There's got to be 30+ better players in the league that you could aim and build your team around with Wall's contract money.

Not trying to say Wall is all that but who would these 30 + players be and why would their existing teams let them go. Wall could be another Beasely but I thiink he will come good, very young and has been on an awful team, doubt many people have even seen him play that much, Wizards are not exactly prime time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Yeah, they've had a much tougher schedule than Miami's (which has been pretty easy bar the odd tough game). Denver are about as deep as it gets in the NBA and have no one real superstar on whom they depend; but that, coupled with their style of play will cause them problems in the half-court playoffs. They will not be fast-breaking all night in the playoffs. They're a team no-one will want to play if Denver have home court advantage for the series; but equally, no-one will fear them if they have home-court advantage themselves.

I think , by the end of the season, Ty Lawson will be considered a superstar in his own right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

They've had a pretty easy schedule to get the streak, but you still gotta win the games so they get respect for that. Huge performance from the C's last night with no Rondo and no KG - never thought they'd get within 2 without them.

Agree with above, they could easily win the next 6, but can't see them beating San An in San An.

Worse, Celtics coughed up a handy lead against them. I taught that was flucky, until I saw the heat and Cavs game

Not trying to say Wall is all that but who would these 30 + players be and why would their existing teams let them go. Wall could be another Beasely but I thiink he will come good, very young and has been on an awful team, doubt many people have even seen him play that much, Wizards are not exactly prime time.

30 players? 20 All Stars to start, easily another 10 players better than Wall in the league after that (I didn't say in his position). In his position alone there's at least 10+ guys cosiderably ahead of him in the league - Paul, Rondo, Parker, Rose, Lawson, Williams, Irving, Lilliard, Westbrook, Rubio, Vasquez (check his stats!), Curry (if you consider him a PG), Jack, Holiday, Jennings, Dragic, etc. are all better than Wall

Not saying those teams would part with those players, but again my central point is why tie up so much money on Wall when you could take your chances and at least try for someone else with the money ear-marked for Wall? If you commit to Wall, that's it, you're stuck with him. Personally, I'd use him as trade bait to land a better PG, or a better PLAYER.

30 players? 20 All Stars to start, easily another 10 players better than Wall in the league after that (I didn't say in his position). In his position alone there's at least 10+ guys cosiderably ahead of him in the league - Paul, Rondo, Parker, Rose, Lawson, Williams, Irving, Lilliard, Westbrook, Rubio, Vasquez (check his stats!), Curry (if you consider him a PG), Jack, Holiday, Jennings, Dragic, etc. are all better than Wall

Not saying those teams would part with those players, but again my central point is why tie up so much money on Wall when you could take your chances and at least try for someone else with the money ear-marked for Wall? If you commit to Wall, that's it, you're stuck with him. Personally, I'd use him as trade bait to land a better PG, or a better PLAYER.

I get what you are saying and I am just playing devils advocate a bit. Reality is most of those players mentioned will not be easily parted with, Wizards would have to offer a hell of a lot plus wall for some of those players and then all they have is one star.
    I think they could equally be taking a big risk in trading him, he has been on such a poor team with no help for such a young guy, he obviously has bags of ability, that's easy to see by just watching a few games, strong coach and decent team and we could see a different player.
    It wouldn't be a big deal to trade him if there was a lot of value out there but it is near impossible for some teams to land big stars.
    Would like to see how does next season, could be a big year for him, he is only 22.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

A problem for the wiz could be the lack of a viable pg in the draft as ud imagine they have a
    Lottery pick. Sign and trade with josh smith maybe.

Speaking of Wall, 40 points from 18 attempts tonight. Final chart -

wallshotchart_medium.png

Nuggets meanwhile are in a spot of bother. Down 21 at the half in New Orleans.

Heat extend their winstreak.

137764579.gif

• Advertisement

Looks like Wall has been lurking on this thread and decided tonight he would go out to prove us all wrong! Career high 47 points

I forgot how bad the Lakers are when they are at full strength.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Looks like Wall has been lurking on this thread and decided tonight he would go out to prove us all wrong! Career high 47 points

Always had faith :pac:

Warriors up by 23 at the half on Lakers, everyone is making big plays, great atmosphere.

Denver's streak stopped by New Orleans. The Hornets are on a mini streak themselves, beating Boston, Memphis and now Denver in their last 3 game. However this is a bad time for The Hornets to be winning games. They could be playing themselves down the Draft order.

stuchyg wrote: »
    A problem for the wiz could be the lack of a viable pg in the draft as ud imagine they have a
    Lottery pick. Sign and trade with josh smith maybe.

There are a few solid PG's expected to enter the Draft but right now Washington are in line for a 9th or 10th pick. So Marcus Smart and Trey Burke will probably be gone

Washington are more likely to go for a big man rather than a Guard. Someone like Alex Len, Kelly Olynyk or Mason Plumlee

buyer95 wrote: »

I'm not revising my opinion based on one big game against a Grizzlies team missing Marc Gasol blocking up the lane. One swallow does not a summer make and all that. He's still not even close to the Top 10 PG's in the league in my opinion.

There are at least 10 PG better than Wall

Rondo
    Parker
    Irving
    Paul
    Holiday
    Williams
    Curry
    Conley
    Westbrook
    Lillard

I'm not revising my opinion based on one big game against a Grizzlies team missing Marc Gasol blocking up the lane. One swallow does not a summer make and all that. He's still not even close to the Top 10 PG's in the league in my opinion.

I never said anywhere he's in the top 10 P.G's in the league, my comment was in jest:D

There are at least 10 PG better than Wall

Rondo
    Parker
    Irving
    Paul
    Holiday
    Williams
    Curry
    Conley
    Westbrook
    Lillard

Luckily for him there are 30 teams in the NBA.

• Advertisement

Luckily for him there are 30 teams in the NBA.
    Nobody has suggested he's not good enough to be a starting PG in the NBA. Ofcourse he is. But some of us don't think he is good enough to warrant a max contract from the Wizards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement