Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2012/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm also fed up of hearing Wall is on a bad team and that if he was on a better team he'd be better. I find that highly unlikely as if he were on a better team he'd have less of the ball in his hands and would likely see his stats go down. That implies his current stats are inflated.

In his rookie season Wall was on one of the worst teams in the league and as the PG, had the ball in his hands more than any other player on the court and he was still below average. Normally the first 2 factors there would almost guarantee ROY, but he wasn't within an ass's roar of it. He's still young and has barely played 2 full NBA seasons (shortened season last year and injuries) but to be talking max is bonkers.

Even taking the players you highlighted in bold that still leaves 10 PGS in the league better than him in his position alone! And you think he's a max!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

He's not even close to Holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well, let's take that then - is Wall one of the 10?

No I do not

I'm also fed up of hearing Wall is on a bad team and that if he was on a better team he'd be better. I find that highly unlikely as if he were on a better team he'd have less of the ball in his hands and would likely see his stats go down. That implies his current stats are inflated.

In his rookie season Wall was on one of the worst teams in the league and as the PG, had the ball in his hands more than any other player on the court and he was still below average. Normally the first 2 factors there would almost guarantee ROY, but he wasn't within an ass's roar of it. He's still young and has barely played 2 full NBA seasons (shortened season last year and injuries) but to be talking max is bonkers.

Even taking the players you highlighted in bold that still leaves 10 PGS in the league better than him in his position alone! And you think he's a max!
    He had a fantastic season for a rookie

He's not even close to Holiday
    I know, Wall is far better

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    I know, Wall is far better

April fools day was yesterday

April fools day was yesterday
    Again it's just my opinion. No bother if you disagree

DeMarcus Cousins was taken 5th in that draft. Would you take him over Wall if you had the pick again?

By below average I meant for a starting PG who was No. 1 pick, I didn't mean average as in the entirety of the league.

DeMarcus Cousins was taken 5th in that draft. Would you take him over Wall if you had the pick again?
    At the moment yes I would. I think Cousins is an exceptional prospect and it is easier to build a franchise around a big man than a PG

• Advertisement

Just answer this for me - do you think right now he's:
    a) one of the top 10 players in his position in the league
    b) one of the top 30 players in the league
    c) deserving of a max on just over 160 games over 3 years

Just answer this for me - do you think right now he's:
    a) one of the top 10 players in his position in the league - Yes
    b) one of the top 30 players in the league - No
    c) deserving of a max on just over 160 games over 3 years - No
    I just said he'd be more deserving than Igudala not that he is deserving of a max contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

How realistic are these results for Utah and Lakers last few games?

Lakers beat Dallas, NOH, Portland, GSW, Rockets
    They lose to Memphis, Spurs and Clips

Utah beat NOH, Timberwolves, Timberwolves,
    Lose to Nuggets, GSW, OKC, Memphis

That leaves Lakers 43-39 and in 8th place, Utah 42-40 in 9th.

Didn't even think about Dallas and where they might end up.

How realistic are these results for Utah and Lakers last few games?

Lakers beat Dallas, NOH, Portland, GSW, Rockets
    They lose to Memphis, Spurs and Clips

Utah beat NOH, Timberwolves, Timberwolves,
    Lose to Nuggets, GSW, OKC, Memphis

That leaves Lakers 43-39 and in 8th place, Utah 42-40 in 9th.

Didn't even think about Dallas and where they might end up.
    As a Laker fan I'm not confident we'll win any of those fixtures. Dallas are on a good run at the moment and the Rockets and GSW will cause us problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yeah they've lost so many games against teams that they should beat, so can't be too confident against any team at this stage.

I just said he'd be more deserving than Igudala not that he is deserving of a max contract

Let me be clear - IMO, neither deserve a max contract at this point in their careers.

Wall because he hasn't produced yet, and Iguadola because he's almost 30 and based on his style of play (which relies heavily on pure athleticism) he's likely going to be on a downward curve from now on.

Please list your Top 10 PGs....I'm just curious where you rank Wall.

Let me be clear - IMO, neither deserve a max contract at this point in their careers.

Wall because he hasn't produced yet, and Iguadola because he's almost 30 and based on his style of play (which relies heavily on pure athleticism) he's likely going to be on a downward curve from now on.

Please list your Top 10 PGs....I'm just curious where you rank Wall.
    I agree with your first point completely.

My Top 10 PGs

Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Rajon Rondo
    Russell Westbrooks
    John Wall
    Derron Williams
    Kyrie Irving
    Damien Lillard
    Ty Lawson
    Ricky Rubio

Something along those lines. Obviously the list changes as you get into specific team needs(e.g scoring PG, Rose is top of my list by a distance)

Oh as a by the by I think the best PG in the league is actually LBJ but he'll never allow himself to be played there full time hence I didn't take him into consideration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Huge, huge game between the Lakers and Mavericks tonight. 03:30am start but I'm very tempted to try and say up for it. Anyone else doing the same?

Knicks/Heat (1am) and Bulls/Wizards (12am) also play tonight.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'd have Wall around 6 or 7 myself. His return has coincided with Wizards form drastically improving and he's been, but to be in the Top 5 PG's overall? I'm not so sure. I'll wait till I see him and the Wizards over the course of an entire season (for the most part) before saying he's a top 5 PG. He has the ability anyway to reach that level.

I adore Lillard but he's a lot higher than I'd have him or that I'd have imagined in people's Top PG lists.
    Yeah they've lost so many games against teams that they should beat, so can't be too confident against any team at this stage.

And won games they've far more often than not struggled against and had some big calls go in their favour. I rather see the Lakers in the playoffs than not don't get me wrong, for entertainment sake at least, but not in the manner that is going on at present.
    Paully D wrote: »
    Huge, huge game between the Lakers and Mavericks tonight. 03:30am start but I'm very tempted to try and say up for it. Anyone else doing the same?

For certain I will be anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I know next to nothing about basketball but I'm trying to learn. I was told by someone that because of his injuries and attitude, Dwight Howard will never be anything more than a serviceable big man from now on - not the franchise player he could've been. Is this true? Can he recover his old form?

• Advertisement

My Top 10 PGs

Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Rajon Rondo
    Russell Westbrooks
    John Wall
    Derron Williams
    Kyrie Irving
    Damien Lillard
    Ty Lawson
    Ricky Rubio

Something along those lines. Obviously the list changes as you get into specific team needs(e.g scoring PG, Rose is top of my list by a distance)

Oh as a by the by I think the best PG in the league is actually LBJ but he'll never allow himself to be played there full time hence I didn't take him into consideration

:P Now you just taking the piss mate.

First of all, your list is completely disqualified by not having Tony Parker

Kyrie Irving is twice the player John Wall is.

Where is Stephen Curry ?

Do you even watch this league?

:P Now you just taking the piss mate.

First of all, your list is completely disqualified by not having Tony Parker

Kyrie Irving is twice the player John Wall is.

Where is Stephen Curry ?

Do you even watch this league?
    I consider Curry a SG not PG.

They're just my top 10.
    I think Wall could make the Cavs better than they are now if him and Irving switched
    I knew the Tony Parker one would raise a few eyebrows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I know next to nothing about basketball but I'm trying to learn. I was told by someone that because of his injuries and attitude, Dwight Howard will never be anything more than a serviceable big man from now on - not the franchise player he could've been. Is this true? Can he recover his old form?
    Who knows, nobody can answer that question!

He can recover from injury. That's not the problem. The problem with Dwight is in his head. Right now he does not have the mental toughness to be a leader on any team in the NBA never mind the Lakers. So you're half right.

He can be a great asset to any team in this league But I don't think he will ever be "The Guy" on an NBA team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That very well may be the case, especially Wade but I think it would be naive to think that the higher powers of Miami didn't say, hey... screw these guys, they didn't give us their stars so we are not going to them ours.
    Pop had the balls to call it like it was last year.

So like I said completely different things!
    Do the posters who said LBJ and Wade were injured genuinely believe that?

Nobody said they injured, I said they were listed as being out with injuries!

Comes across as mentally weak by many accounts.

Brian Windhorst @WindhorstESPN
    No LeBron James, Dwyane Wade or Mario Chalmers for Heat tonight vs. Knicks

Paully D wrote: »

I'll probably get few hours sleep first and wake up around 3am for LA Vs Dallas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I'm not a big Howard fan, just because of his less-than-intense attitude more than anything, but I think any team in the league would give up significant pieces if they thought they could get him. Even with his questionable attitude, he was Defensive Player-of-the-Year multiple times and brought his team to a Finals (where they were beaten 4-1). 7-footers have historically bad injury records, but he would be a worthwhile risk for any team.

• Advertisement

My Top 10 PGs

Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Rajon Rondo
    Russell Westbrooks
    John Wall
    Derron Williams
    Kyrie Irving
    Damien Lillard
    Ty Lawson
    Ricky Rubio

No Parker? No Curry? Come on....it's not about whether you consider them PGs or not, but to completely out of hand dismiss Tony Parker as the starting PG on the arguably 2nd best team in the league, a perennial All Star, multiple ring winner and Finals MVP on a whim is shocking. If Wall goes on to have half the career Parker has, he'll be doing well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement