Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2012/13

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Lakers could actually finish 7th seed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Lakers could actually finish 7th seed.
    If both Utah and the Lakers win could Houston be out on the head to head with Utah?

Sorry I would check myself but I'm in work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Awards:
    Coach of the Year - George Karl, considering their start to end the season with franchise record win-loss ratio and likely 3 seed in the West with no real superstar on his team
    MVP - LeBron James
    Sixth Man - JR Smith
    Most Improved - Steph Curry - yes, I know he's already an established starter, and he's coming off a high base curve, but come on, what he did this year was exceptional
    Defensive Player of The Year - Joakim Noah

I agree with everything here except for Coach of the Year. It's either Pops or Thibs for me. Karl would be my 3rd Choice.

Though I do think Karl would Win it this Year, since Pops Won it Last Year and Thibs the Year before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I agree with everything here except for Coach of the Year. It's either Pops or Thibs for me. Karl would be my 3rd Choice.

Though I do think Karl would Win it this Year, since Pops Won it Last Year and Thibs the Year before.

Those factors influenced my decision hugely - no doubt in my mind, Pops and Thibs are the best 2 coaches in the NBA BUT they're unlikley to win it again in such a short space of time. Can't see the NBA allowing Pops to be voted coach of the year in the year of the Miami Heat game fiasco.......begin David Stern NBA conspiracy theory number 1265789077842365476998 here..........:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Coach of the Year - George Karl/Mike Woodson
    MVP - LeBron James
    Rookie of the Year - Damian Lillard
    Sixth Man - JR Smith
    Most Improved - James Harden
    Defensive Player of The Year - Marc Gasol

Regarding Most Improved award..

Paul George, Omar Asik, Nikola Vucevic, Jrue Holiday(been cold for the past month or so though), Steph Curry and Kenneth Faried all deserve mentions. But dare I suggest James Harden? IF he counts for the award, he's the clear winner. I watch the majority of Thunder games over the past few years and while I was adamant he could be a starter and a star elsewhere if not for OKC, I've been taken a back somewhat by how good he's been for the Rockets.

I should just put John Wall in there to annoy one or two :pac:

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    If both Utah and the Lakers win could Houston be out on the head to head with Utah?

Sorry I would check myself but I'm in work

No The Rockets are safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

No The Rockets are safe
    Grand, I don't want the Lakers to be up against a team that have something to lose

Here's the breakdown of what's at stake tonight

The 6th ,7th and 8th seeds in the West remain unsettled. The simplest scenario features the Lakers beating the Rockets, which would give GSW the 6th seed, Lakers 7th seed and the Rockets 8th and eliminate the Jazz. If the Jazz beat the Grizzlies (who are locked in to 5th seed) and the Rockets beat the Lakers, the Lakers will miss the playoffs.

Houston must win and have Golden State lose to the Blazers in order to steal the No. 6 seed.

The Atlanta Hawks can claim the No. 5 seed in the Eastern Conference with a win or Chicago Bulls loss.

The Denver Nuggets need a Clippers loss or a home win against the Phoenix Suns to clinch the No. 3 seed in the West..

The Clippers still may have something to play for, though, even if the Nuggets lose, because Memphis would get home-court advantage if it has a better record

• Registered Users Posts: 23 EoinM1996

Here's the breakdown of what's at stake tonight

The 6th ,7th and 8th seeds in the West remain unsettled. The simplest scenario features the Lakers beating the Rockets, which would give GSW the 6th seed, Lakers 7th seed and the Rockets 8th and eliminate the Jazz. If the Jazz beat the Grizzlies (who are locked in to 5th seed) and the Rockets beat the Lakers, the Lakers will miss the playoffs.

Houston must win and have Golden State lose to the Blazers in order to steal the No. 6 seed.

The Atlanta Hawks can claim the No. 5 seed in the Eastern Conference with a win or Chicago Bulls loss.

The Denver Nuggets need a Clippers loss or a home win against the Phoenix Suns to clinch the No. 3 seed in the West..

The Clippers still may have something to play for, though, even if the Nuggets lose, because Memphis would get home-court advantage if it has a better record
    A win doesn't guarentee Hawks 5th seed as the Bulls hold the tie breaker. They have to better Chicagos result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Felexicon wrote: »
    Grand, I don't want the Lakers to be up against a team that have something to lose
    Well they have a seeding place to lose! 6th is much more preferable than 7th!

• Advertisement

EoinM1996 wrote: »
    A win doesn't guarentee Hawks 5th seed as the Bulls hold the tie breaker. They have to better Chicagos result

Read the rest of that line. I side if the Bulls Lose

Here's one for "y'all".......

ok, now that he's injured and facing at least 9 and maybe 12 months out injured and given his age and miles on the clock etc. do you amnesty Kobe and save $80million+ (salary $30million and the rest in luxury taxes) or keep him on the books? If you amnesty him, he can't play for the Lakers next season.

If he sits out next year, that frees you up to sign 2 max players (under new CB Agreement, $15m is about the max)......but you risk that he could go elsewhere. The flip of that is if he agrees to sit, he comes back to a better team (in theory).

Personally, I can't see how you can pay any player that much to sit for the vast majority of, and possibly all of the season when you have an out like this.

Any thoughts Lakers fans/haters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Awards:
    Coach of the Year - Pops - what he has done with the Spurs this year has been fantasic, minus one of his 3 stars at one point or another across the season. Id like to give a mention to Mark Jackson too, has done a great job with the warriors.
    MVP - LeBron James
    Sixth Man - JR Smith - reason he gets it over Crawford for me is that he is generally expected to create his own scoring when on the court
    Most Improved - Steph Curry - He just shades it over Harden for me for his play in the second half of the season. Curry should also break the 3 point record before Saturday.
    Defensive Player of The Year - Joakim Noah, some of his stat lines have just been nuts. Id also like to mention Kirk Hinrich here, Im not for one second suggesting he would be anywhere close to the top players but he always seems to affect whoever he is guarding. Also takes a charge like few other players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'd completely overlooked the whole possibility that Lakers would get 7th if they beat Houston (since I was expecting SAS to destroy them, I guess). Wow. We may just get our Harden/OKC reunion series after all!

Durant sitting out tonight's game so Melo wins the scoring title. KD needed 70 to overtake Melo - would have been fun seeing if he could hit 70 in a meaningless game!

stuchyg wrote: »
    Awards:
    Coach of the Year - Pops - what he has done with the Spurs this year has been fantasic, minus one of his 3 stars at one point or another across the season. Id like to give a mention to Mark Jackson too, has done a great job with the warriors.
    MVP - LeBron James
    Sixth Man - JR Smith - reason he gets it over Crawford for me is that he is generally expected to create his own scoring when on the court
    Most Improved - Steph Curry - He just shades it over Harden for me for his play in the second half of the season. Curry should also break the 3 point record before Saturday.
    Defensive Player of The Year - Joakim Noah, some of his stat lines have just been nuts. Id also like to mention Kirk Hinrich here, Im not for one second suggesting he would be anywhere close to the top players but he always seems to affect whoever he is guarding. Also takes a charge like few other players

And that fact that Crawford plays NO D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Here's one for "y'all".......

ok, now that he's injured and facing at least 9 and maybe 12 months out injured and given his age and miles on the clock etc. do you amnesty Kobe and save $80million+ (salary $30million and the rest in luxury taxes) or keep him on the books? If you amnesty him, he can't play for the Lakers next season.

If he sits out next year, that frees you up to sign 2 max players (under new CB Agreement, $15m is about the max)......but you risk that he could go elsewhere. The flip of that is if he agrees to sit, he comes back to a better team (in theory).

Personally, I can't see how you can pay any player that much to sit for the vast majority of, and possibly all of the season when you have an out like this.

Any thoughts Lakers fans/haters?

Personally I think its a great idea, I see one problem with it though, Kobe.

Given his frankly insane work ethic I imagine he will be ready to play by xmas and therefore the Lakers cant take the chance to amnesty him.

However if they can agree to a 2 year deal for say $15 mill a season which would pay him the same and convince him to sit out to heal up then it could be a goer. Maybe he could be involved as an assistant coach, would this be allowed under the amnesty clause.

stuchyg wrote: »
    Personally I think its a great idea, I see one problem with it though, Kobe.

Given his frankly insane work ethic I imagine he will be ready to play by xmas and therefore the Lakers cant take the chance to amnesty him.

However if they can agree to a 2 year deal for say $15 mill a season which would pay him the same and convince him to sit out to heal up then it could be a goer. Maybe he could be involved as an assistant coach, would this be allowed under the amnesty clause.

I think (but am not 100% on this) that if you're amnestied you can't have any involvement with the team that amnesties you in any capacity, which wold rule out any coaching role. Makes sense as they could give you a contract knowing they'd amnesty it and pay you more (not the case here but you get the point) in some other organisational role to avoid luxury tax as that's in the main a players deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nice bit of trivia:

This season the Bulls become the only team in NBA history not to have a win or losing streak of 4 + games.

Just shows how hard it has been to get a run going without Rose and all the injuries, the team changing around so often, but at the same time shows how well we have done in spite of all that never to lose more than 4 in a row with all that to contend with.

Paully D wrote: »
    Nice bit of trivia:

This season the Bulls become the only team in NBA history not to have a win or losing streak of 4 + games.

Just shows how hard it has been to get a run going without Rose and all the injuries, the team changing around so often, but at the same time shows how well we have done in spite of all that never to lose more than 4 in a row with all that to contend with.
    This. I'd like to know how many times the 5 that started the season (Hinrich,Rip,Deng,Booz,Jo) played together. I'm sure its not alot. My guess would be around 40-50

• Advertisement

The Lakers probably should Amnesty Kobe. They will no doubt take some negative PR from it for a while but in the long term it is much better for the Team.

The question is, Will Jim Buss have the balls to do it? I don't think so. The only way he could do it without taking the heat is if Kobe himself said he was up for it and they came to some sort of agreement that Kobe would re-sign after the amnesty process. Which is extremely unlikely

The Lakers probably should Amnesty Kobe. They will no doubt take some negative PR from it for a while but in the long term it is much better for the Team.

The question is, Will Jim Buss have the balls to do it? I don't think so. The only way he could do it without taking the heat is if Kobe himself said he was up for it and they came to some sort of agreement that Kobe would re-sign after the amnesty process. Which is extremely unlikely
    I don't think they'll do it. It just shows a lack of respect IMO. You dont amnesty arguably the greatest player the franchise has seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Kobe will never get an amnesty used on him! The backlash for the franchise would be monstrous!!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Kobe will never get an amnesty used on him! The backlash for the franchise would be monstrous!!

100% agreed. It's an option, sure. But Lakers management aren't that stupid to risk causing such uproar.

________

Elsewhere, Sheed has retired.. again. He'll stay on as an assistant for the Knicks playoff run.

Watching Utah@Memphis right now. Utah need to win to put the pressure on Lakers later

This game makes the Lakers/Rockets game. If Utah lose this, there's not much point watching the 2nd game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

This game makes the Lakers/Rockets game. If Utah lose this, there's not much point watching the 2nd game

Maybe no point for you since you hate the Lakers :pac:

Memphis pulling away now. Lead by 12 late in the 3rd. Looks like it going to be an uneventful night.

Barring hell freezing over, Grizzlies have won this. Lakers are safe.

• Advertisement

Memphis will win now nothing but seeding to play for with LA/Hou. Bit of an anticlimax of a night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement