Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband Question !?

Options
  • 28-10-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi I have UPC 25mb/s wired broadband and Im looking to get wireless in the house so that I can use the laptop with it. I currently have the scientific atlanta EPC2203 modem. I want to be able to use the wireless all over the house so it needs to have good range and be reliable. Is my best bet to buy a wireless router or a router/modem all in one ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You can buy a router yourself and hook it up to your modem which will cost somewhere between €35-€50 or you can ring UPC and they might be able to replace your modem with a wireless modem, but you will have to agree to a new 1 year contract

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MannyFagnet

Yes I rang UPC earlier and they said I can only get the wireless modem if Im on 50mb or more broadband speed so I wont be getting that.
    Can you recommend any good value reliable router I can buy ? And do I just connect the ethernet cable from the router to my modem to use wireless ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes I rang UPC earlier and they said I can only get the wireless modem if Im on 50mb or more broadband speed so I wont be getting that.
    Can you recommend any good value reliable router I can buy ? And do I just connect the ethernet cable from the router to my modem to use wireless ?

Not true, I got it when I was on 25Mb last year. How long have you been with them? Judging by the modem you have, must be close to donkey's years.
    Ring them tomorrow and ask them if you can speak to Customer Loyalty(Mon-Fri 9-5) and they should be able to give you one.

And if you buy a router, you simply connect the Ethernet cable that connects your modem to your computer at the moment to the Ethernet in port on the router. And then you can connect a computer to the router like you have at the moment and/or use the WiFi

As for good routers, how much range do you need? Get yourself to a local computer store. Look For Netgear/TP Link/Belkin/Linksys routers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MannyFagnet

Well Im living in a small enough house but theres around 2 walls between where I'll be using it. Just looking for reliable wireless connection that wont lessen the connection speed or break down. Yes I was thinking that I should be able to get that modem off UPC. I asked the girl does the modem work for speeds lower than 50mb and she said yes but there not allowed to send them out only for 50mb and up !? Anyway I've been a member for around ten years maybe and Im using an older modem. I'd say there just pushing for people to upgrade to 50mb and up and there using the free wifi modem as an incentive to upgrade.

Advertisement