Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Japer wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands of Irish people did not volunteer for the KGB. Hundreds of ...........behind.

Dear o dear. The comparison with the KGB wasn't based on Irish people being in it but its use to crush dissent across the soviet sphere....And again, you keep going on about WWII - the funds have nothing to do with WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

old hippy wrote: »
    LOL @ an old, old, story.

2012 and we're still labelling ourselves? :D

Let ye and ye wear your silly poppies and lillies and be done with it. There's far more important things to be worrying about.

Fully agree. I wonder about people who get so exercised about this issue. I don't know anyone who gives a toss about such anachronistic sectarianism and tribalism. It belongs to another age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Nope, I'll ne wearing one on Nov 11th but I will also respect people wearing the easter Lilly come March.

I recognise that both symbols have a wider symbolic meaning that goes beyond the narrow perceptions shown on this thread.

So you're happy to commemorate an "organisation who's strategy was to target civilians and carried out more than their fair share of murder."?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So you're happy to commemorate an "organisation who's strategy was to target civilians and carried out more than their fair share of murder."?

Well you easily throw around terms as child killers at the British Army, the Irish Republican Army killed pensioners, children and kids shopping in shopping centres like in Warrington. IRA child murderers.

The fecking lot of ye's were a vile bunch, all played a part in a cesspit of Northern society.

All ye care about is your own lot, maybe read a few books from the other view, rather than read more stuff you really, really, like.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Well you easily throw around terms as child killers at the British Army, the Irish Republican Army killed pensioners, children and kids shopping in shopping centres like in Warrington. IRA child murderers.

The fecking lot of ye's were a vile bunch, all played a part in a cesspit of Northern society.

All ye care about is your own lot, maybe read a few books from the other view, rather than read more stuff you really, really, like.

They are child killers, the Empire have killed untold amounts all around the world... but don't dare fight back.

Commemorate them if you like, I fully agree you should, but open your eyes and educate yourself on what you're commemorating.

They are child killers, the Empire have killed untold amounts all around the world... but don't dare fight back.

Commemorate them if you like, I fully agree you should, but open your eyes and educate yourself on what you're commemorating.

You say that as if it is some type of revelation or something, which is fine. Thing is it isn't a revelation and coming from a Republican who supported the "armed struggle" that murdered children routinely.

I've no doubt you knew that anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You say that as if it is some type of revelation or something, which is fine. Thing is it isn't a revelation and coming from a Republican who supported the "armed struggle" that murdered children routinely.

Is there a hierarchical of child victims? Its ok to fund and remember with praise child killers from the BA but its stomach churning to do the same for republicans?

There should be no doubt that child killers from whichever background should be condemned. However poppy funds do go to soldiers who murdered children in NI (in Irish context), you see the problem now with the red poppy? If the red poppy only represented BA soldiers in WWI, there wouldn't be much of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

gurramok wrote: »

Is there a hierarchical of child victims? Its ok to fund and remember with praise child killers from the BA but its stomach churning to do the same for republicans?

There should be no doubt that child killers from whichever background should be condemned. However poppy funds do go to soldiers who murdered children in NI (in Irish context), you see the problem now with the red poppy? If the red poppy only represented BA soldiers in WWI, there wouldn't be much of a problem.

If someone calls themselves Bobby Sands then they are obviously a supporter of the PIRA.

That means they have no moral highground to claim.

Someone who wears an Easter Lilly is in no position to criticise someone for wearing a poppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

If someone calls themselves Bobby Sands then they are obviously a supporter of the PIRA.

That means they have no moral highground to claim.

Someone who wears an Easter Lilly is in no position to criticise someone for wearing a poppy.
    Attack the post not the poster (or indeed the poster's name).

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Attack the post not the poster (or indeed the poster's name).

They obviously forgot to announce your appointment as a moderator:rolleyes:

They obviously forgot to announce your appointment as a moderator:rolleyes:
    Moderator? None of that low level malarkey for me, I'm going in right at the top.

Say hi to your new Supreme Overlord Ayatollah Admin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The two are not equal. The Lily is for those that fought for Irish Freedom (i.e. the good guys). The Poppy is for those that fought for imperialism. You may as well say that the Croix de Lorraine and the Swastika are equivalent.

The two are not equal. The Lily is for those that fought for Irish Freedom (i.e. the good guys). The Poppy is for those that fought for imperialism. You may as well say that the Croix de Lorraine and the Swastika are equivalent.
    I don't actually agree with that sentiment. It's rather simplistic (and usually wrong) to break down a conflict into good and bad sides.

Did the Soviets suddenly become a shining beacon of all that is good when they turned on the Nazis. Like hell they did. Rarely does any side's reputation come out any better after war - that includes the British Army, Irish republicans, etc.

Who exactly are the good guys and who is fighting for imperialism.

Are the British Soldiers killed liberating Kuwait from Iraq, or preventing a school for girls in Afghanistan being bombed fighting for imperialism?

How exactly did placing bombs in two cast iron bins in Warrington high street further the cause of "Irish Freedom" and why should the people who did that be commemorated? What about the mastermind behind the murder of four people in Coventry aged between 15 and 82? should he be commemorated with the easter Lilly?

Yep, I think army child killers are much nicer than IRA ones, that's exactly it.

You realise how dumb that sounds?

Yep I see the problem which is why somebody who sympathises with one bunch of child murderers condemning the other bunch for murdering children is laughable.

• Advertisement

Yep, I think army child killers are much nicer than IRA ones, that's exactly it.

You realise how dumb that sounds?

Yep I see the problem which is why somebody who sympathises with one bunch of child murderers condemning the other bunch for murdering children is laughable.

It's quite simple mate, nobody should have been killed on this island, children or not. If this island had not been colonised then nobody would have had reason to fight back. Take away the reasons for war and there is no war... but don't blame people for organising and having the balls to fight back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

To put things in context, millions of people from many different countries - Scotland, Ireland, England, all the commonwealth countries etc - have served in the army, air force, navy etc during WW! and later conflicts. How many of these millions of people were "child killers"? Extremely few, and probably a lower percentage than the general population, and a lower percentage than other legitimate armed forces around the world. Maybe you think G7 countries with democtatically elected governments, and a respected legal system, should not have an army / navy / air force?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I don't think the Irish have earned the right to wear a poppy

old_aussie wrote: »
    I don't think the Irish have earned the right to wear a poppy
    Hundreds of thousands of Irish people fought with the allies - mostly - British armed forces - in WW1 and WW2 and other conflicts. Do not tar everyone in Ireland with the same brush.

Why? Does the lilly commemorate all who served in the Irish Imperial Forces?

• Advertisement

To put things in context, millions of people from many different countries - Scotland, Ireland, England, all the commonwealth countries etc - have served in the army, air force, navy etc during WW! and later conflicts. How many of these millions of people were "child killers"? Extremely few, and probably a lower percentage than the general population, and a lower percentage than other legitimate armed forces around the world. Maybe you think G7 countries with democtatically elected governments, and a respected legal system, should not have an army / navy / air force?

Every country has a right to protect itself, it's when they start invading other countries that they cross the line. Everyone has the right to defend themselves.

Why anyone would want to join an Army just to see 'action' is beyond me. Murder should never b a career.

If its 0.1% or 50% of the army engaging in child killing, there is no moral superiority especially when there was not a single prosecution for murder of said soldiers.

It's quite simple mate, nobody should have been killed on this island, children or not. If this island had not been colonised then nobody would have had reason to fight back. Take away the reasons for war and there is no war... but don't blame people for organising and having the balls to fight back.

You hit me, I kill your children and it's all your fault for hitting me in the first place?

Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Who exactly are the good guys and who is fighting for imperialism.

The ones in Iraq were fighting to an extend the US hegemony. I like the way you cherry pick conflicts out of the last hundred years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Somebody was talking about empires.

Roman Empire
    Dutch Empire
    British Empire
    French Empire
    Russian Empire
    Spanish Empire
    Ottoman Empire

Lots of Empires over the centuries, and one could even argue that the US currently has an Empire.

Nodin wrote: »
    Why? Does the lilly commemorate all who served in the Irish Imperial Forces?

:rolleyes:

Why anyone would want to join an Army just to see 'action' is beyond me.
    I think most who join would hope not to see "action" / get killed / injured.
    I would not expect you to understand why people would join armed forces ( army/navy etc ) to fight against Nazism / Communism / invasion of Kuwait or whatever.
    Maybe some join not to be on the dole / a drain on their country, and wish to earn money?

Murder should never b a career.
    Do you think countries with democtatically elected governments, and a respected legal system, should not have an army / navy / air force?

I agree murder should never be a career. What career did your idols have who "volunteered" to bomb Warrington, Le Mons, Enniskillen, Bloody Friday, Kingsmills etc ...and did they not kill more civilians than 99.9% of the millions of people who served in the British army + navy?

The ones in Iraq were fighting to an extend the US hegemony. I like the way you cherry pick conflicts out of the last hundred years.

why not, you have been doing it consistently over this thread.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Somebody was talking about empires.

Roman Empire
    Dutch Empire
    British Empire
    French Empire
    Russian Empire
    Spanish Empire
    Ottoman Empire

Lots of Empires over the centuries, and one could even argue that the US currently has an Empire.

Yep. Name one - other than the British - that has people defending it on a regular basis. Or a semi-regular basis. Or ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Takes balls to plant bombs in civilian shopping centers???? Wtf is wrong with you man?

Serious question, why did the IRA not just target military targets?

• Advertisement

why not, you have been doing it consistently over this thread.

Britain had an Empire. Thousands upon thousands of troops were involved in its maintenance. The majority of Britians military involvement has been colonial and I'm merely pointing out the fact.

You hit me, I kill your children and it's all your fault for hitting me in the first place?

Doesn't sound quite right to me.

You think that's a fair analogy?

Read some Irish history and come back to me.

gallag wrote: »
    Takes balls to plant bombs in civilian shopping centers???? Wtf is wrong with you man?

Are they in receipt of poppy funds now?

gallag wrote: »

Can you point me to where I said this was ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yep. Name one - other than the British - that has people defending it on a regular basis. Or a semi-regular basis. Or ever.

No idea, could be many people could be none? would take for ever to find out I reckon.

Britain had an Empire. Thousands upon thousands of troops were involved in its maintenance. .
    and millions of people - including a few hundred thousand Irish people - fought in Brith uniforms and were pround to do so. They defended these islands against other empires

Yeah that's great, didn't really address my point but wasn't expecting it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

and millions of people - including a few hundred thousand Irish people - fought in Brith uniforms and were pround to do so. They defended these islands against other empires
    What did we have to fear from other empires? Like France? They wanted to help us.

GRMA wrote: »
    What did we have to fear from other empires?
    All the European countries had Empires : Belgium, Germany, France, Spain. Portugal etc. We were part of the UK, and Irish people made up a third of the admonistration of India, for example. In the 20th century, we had much to fear from the like of Germany and Russia, and hundreds of thousands of Irish people fought against those empires....if they did not / nobody did, its almost certain your life would be a lot worse.;)

• Advertisement

All the European countries had Empires : Belgium, Germany, France, Spain. Portugal etc. We were part of the UK, and Irish people made up a third of the admonistration of India, for example. In the 20th century, we had much to fear from the like of Germany and Russia, and hundreds of thousands of Irish people fought against those empires....if they did not / nobody did, its almost certain your life would be a lot worse.;)
    Ah yeah, things were fine and dandy in the ritish empire and sure things got even better after the act of union. You should read a history book.

Ah yeah, things were fine and dandy in the ritish empire and sure things got even better after the act of union. You should read a history book.
    you should read one about what happened in the rest of the world. Look at the huge numbers killed by Belgium in Africa as resent as a hundred years ago. Look at the Russian gulags. Closer to home and more recent, look at the millions of various Europeans killed in German Concentration camps.

you should read one about what happened in the rest of the world. Look at the huge numbers killed by Belgium in Africa as resent as a hundred years ago. Look at the Russian gulags. Closer to home and more recent, look at the millions of various Europeans killed in German Concentration camps.

Even closer to home, we had mass starvation under British rule, aka the Famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Every single one.

If we want to look as massacres in Africa we dont need to go back as far as a hundred years for the British.

The British empire was at the very least, just as barbaric, cruel and oppressive, if not more so, than all the empires you mention, bar none.

This is readily apparent looking just at Irish history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Can you point me to where I said this was ok?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81544990&postcount=519

• Advertisement

What did we have to fear from other empires? Like France? They wanted to help us.

Really? like they "Helped" Spain, Portugal and Northern Italy?

If the French invasion in 1798 had worked, the Irish would have been begging the British to come back to help get rid of them
    If we want to look as massacres in Africa we dont need to go back as far as a hundred years for the British.

The British empire was at the very least, just as barbaric, cruel and oppressive, if not more so, than all the empires you mention, bar none.

This is readily apparent looking just at Irish history.

Really, in what way?

Do you think the indigenous population of South America would consider the British treatment of the Irish less barbaric then the treatment they faced under the Spanish?

How do you think the Algerians view the Irish war of Independence? Do you think they feel like they were "Lucky"?

Ask Armenians what they thought about life under the Ottomans, probably glad it wasn't the British, I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Bloody hell...is this thread still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Bloody hell...is this thread still going.
    "Poppies for sale! get your poppies here! Discount for RA members!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Fred - old bean! You come across as a typical British right on sort of chap. The way you try and try again to legitimise the barbarism of colonial rule would give the impression that you have not sank back in your armchair with a cup of Rosie and thought the process through. No country likes to be overrun/invaded. No amount of talk about roads/bridges being built, educating the ignorant or exchanging cultural values (one way of course) makes sense. The fact is that empire building was all about rape, loot and pillage. Not your fault that you don't get it as this historical axiom is anathema to most British minds who's history lessons were, er, taught by teachers that had been educated in that system.
    But like most colonial ruling nations ......... the chicks come home to roost and, in the face of seismic change, are left pining for the old days when Britannia ruled the waves and Johnny Foreigner knew his place.
    Get with the programme Fred and take the pressure off your spleen. Try eating Mr Kipling instead of reading Rudyard .......... leaves a far nicer taste in the mouth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

"Why would an Irish person wear a poppy?"Because they want to support the Poppy Appeal organised by the Royal British Legion and/or/because [insert appropriate reason as desired].There you go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement