Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

[/B]

I think you will find they are ales and stouts. Not beers.;)

Ale and stout are types of beer. I suggest you research a little more.

I think you are thinking of lagers or pilsners.

I am indeed in the West Midlands but I feel very much back in the motherland on this thread.

As do I from my location in Galway

The Boers might have something to say about that, the Brits forced to use concentration camps and sorched earth policy to win that war as military they were defeated by the farmers.

Ah but we won. That's what matters. Funny how people praise Russia for using the same policy in ww2 but criticise the British...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

summerskin wrote: »
    Ah but we won. That's what matters. Funny how people praise Russia for using the same policy in ww2 but criticise the British...
    Bit of a difference there between fighting the boers and that nazis.

A proud moment in the history of Empire I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I didn't refer to the USSR anywhere in my post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

Maybe this is a larger/pilsner thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...I'm fairly sure - nay, certain - that few if any praise the russians for concentration camps, at least in english language fora...

GRMA wrote: »
    Bit of a difference there between fighting the boers and that nazis.

A proud moment in the history of Empire I'm sure

...well they had rifles, which came as a shock, as you didn't go to Africa to get shot at with a rifle.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...well they had rifles, which came as a shock, as you didn't go to Africa to get shot at with a rifle.
    A lot of Irishmen died fighting for British imperialism in South Africa, which was basically the boers found gold in the Transvaal and the Brits wanted it.

A lot of Irishmen died fighting for British imperialism in South Africa, which was basically the boers found gold in the Transvaal and the Brits wanted it.

Part of the pervisity of the colonial/imperial regimes was that they used conquered peoples to subjugate and conquer others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

At this stage you've just confirmed that you are full of sh!t.
    Pot, kettle, black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure if its been brought up, but theres even alot of English/British people not wearing them around this rememberence day.

Am over in London at the mo, and the appeal this year is being really pushed by all elements of the Media, the press, the news, entertainment, etc etc. So much to a point that people think they are being bullied into wearing one, with reports of some people even being questioned on why they are not wearing one, even if they have donated or done charity work for the armed forces or royal british legion.

Lelantos wrote: »
    Pot, kettle, black.
    I'm not the one making stuff up am I?

Pot, kettle, black.
    The NGA is a supposed non party affiliated organisation, but it was run by IRA members, so that wasn't true. The vast majority of sales went to Sinn Féin & other organizations.

Do you have a source/sources to show that

(a) the NGA was run by IRA members

(b) that the "vast majority" of monies raised went to "Sinn Fein & other organizations"?

Either back it up, or do the decent thing and withdraw the remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

mostly irish immigrants wanted that war.....
    and gold.....

mostly irish immigrants wanted that war.....
    and gold.....
    Not many Irish fought on the Boer side, bar Blakes(Irish/American)and later McBride's brigade, the majority of Irish that fought were on the British side, Maurice Moore a Connaught ranger was deeply critical of the tatics used by the British over there, I have refered to them in an earlier post.

I'm not the one making stuff up am I?
    Do you have a source/sources to show that

(a) the NGA was run by IRA members

(b) that the "vast majority" of monies raised went to "Sinn Fein & other organizations"?

Either back it up, or do the decent thing and withdraw the remark.

Getting double teamed by The Chucky Brothers, " To me, to you, to me!"

Getting double teamed by The Chucky Brothers, " To me, to you, to me!"

Just do the decent thing, and either back up your statement or withdraw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

This point is probably true. A quick google shows Sinn Fein, "Sociallist Productions', Derry Sinn Fein, RepublicanBookshop.com, all selling the metal badges, but no mention that the proceeds go the the NGA. We can safely assume, therefore, that the proceeds stay with the seller.

Further, the lack of mention of the NGA in this An Phoblacht article and this statement by Gerry Adams. If that wasn't enough, on this video on the Sinn Fein youtube channel you can see Sinn Fein launching the easter lily campaign in aid of the "Belfast National Graves Association" when the NGA say "There are no branch committees, there are no County branches, i.e. Belfast National Graves Association, Tyrone National Graves Association.".

So if you buy a lily from the NGA then they get them money. Any one else and god knows who gets it, Sinn Fein, eirigi, worse?

I also note the NGA are a private company - not a charity. Something I would find extremely dubious.

• Advertisement

Rascasse wrote: »
    This point is probably true. A quick google shows Sinn Fein, "Sociallist Productions', Derry Sinn Fein, RepublicanBookshop.com, all selling the metal badges, but no mention that the proceeds go the the NGA. We can safely assume, therefore, that the proceeds stay with the seller.

Further, the lack of mention of the NGA in this An Phoblacht article and this statement by Gerry Adams. If that wasn't enough, on this video on the Sinn Fein youtube channel you can see Sinn Fein launching the easter lily campaign in aid of the "Belfast National Graves Association" when the NGA say "There are no branch committees, there are no County branches, i.e. Belfast National Graves Association, Tyrone National Graves Association.".

So if you buy a lily from the NGA then they get them money. Any one else and god knows who gets it, Sinn Fein, eirigi, worse?

I also note the NGA are a private company - not a charity. Something I would find extremely dubious.

There are a number of different lillies on sale. Eirigi have nothing to do with Sinn Fein. The accusation is that the NGA gave funds to SF and was run by IRA members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

All this talk and comparison with the Easter Lilly is a red herring...

How many do you actually see?
    How many presenters/people on Irish TV will wear one?
    How many sports players will wear them around easter time attached to jerseys?
    How many newspapers will have it on the front page of their paper?

Vast majority went to the NGA which looks after the graves and monuments of Irish patriots.
    There are a number of different lillies on sale. Eirigi have nothing to do with Sinn Fein. The accusation is that the NGA gave funds to SF and was run by IRA members.

Never let it be said i dont correct you, i said the the vast majority of lilly sales went to sinn fein & other organisations, i never said NGA gave money to sinn fein

Never let it be said i dont correct you, i said the the vast majority of lilly sales went to sinn fein & other organisations, i never said NGA gave money to sinn fein

Thats what it reads to me.
    The NGA is a supposed non party affiliated organisation, but it was run by IRA members, so that wasn't true. The vast majority of sales went to Sinn Féin & other organizations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

All this talk and comparison with the Easter Lilly is a red herring...

How many do you actually see?

the original arguement, back in the day, was that people who wear the easter lilly are in no position to pontificate about the Poppy. Both remember the good and the bad soldiers.

The Poppy would remember those that carried out crimes in Kenya, the Lilly those that murdered innocent people on the streets on Ireland and England.

Thats what it reads to me.
    Ah, but context is everything, you should have read in what it was reply to. Nowhere did I say the NGA gave funds to Sinn fein, its ok though, I shan't ask you to "do the decent thing"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

irish-stew wrote: »
    Not sure if its been brought up, but theres even alot of English/British people not wearing them around this rememberence day.

Am over in London at the mo, and the appeal this year is being really pushed by all elements of the Media, the press, the news, entertainment, etc etc. So much to a point that people think they are being bullied into wearing one, with reports of some people even being questioned on why they are not wearing one, even if they have donated or done charity work for the armed forces or royal british legion.

It has been but has little to do with this discussion, and more to do with namby pamby, politically correct bull**** that bedevils establishment Britain today. Worrying about whether or not broadcasters are wearing poppies while cutting the defence budget to shreds is the establishment's way of dealing with things. :rolleyes:

Ah, but context is everything, you should have read in what it was reply to. Nowhere did I say the NGA gave funds to Sinn fein, its ok though, I shan't ask you to "do the decent thing"

It's a bit odd you're taking that tack now, given how many times I've asked about and quoted that. More than a "bit" in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It has been but has little to do with this discussion, and more to do with namby pamby, politically correct bull**** that bedevils establishment Britain today. Worrying about whether or not broadcasters are wearing poppies while cutting the defence budget to shreds is the establishment's way of dealing with things. :rolleyes:

Cutting the UK's defence budget is a good thing yes? Less weapons sold abroad to various civil wars is good for the world.

It's a bit odd you're taking that tack now, given how many times I've asked about and quoted that. More than a "bit" in fact.
    No, I was just correcting your glaring mistake chucky

gurramok wrote: »
    Cutting the UK's defence budget is a good thing yes? Less weapons sold abroad to various civil wars is good for the world.

Selling weapons abroad has nothing to do with the defence budget. The defence budget deals with spending on Britain's armed forces and for decades they have been expected to carry out a their duties with insufficient funding. I'm sure that that makes you very happy - being a Little Irelander - but to anyone looking at the big picture it's not very comforting.

• Advertisement

Selling weapons abroad has nothing to do with the defence budget. The defence budget deals with spending on Britain's armed forces and for decades they have been expected to carry out a their duties with insufficient funding. I'm sure that that makes you very happy - being a Little Irelander - but to anyone looking at the big picture it's not very comforting.

So less soldiers have a chance to kill with costly deadlier weapons, still a good thing? You come across as a poster that likes war, hope not?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

You don't see any of course as it is political. The poppy appeal is not.

With Sinn Fein, eirigi, RSF and whoever else using it as a fundraiser and the NGA not being a charity there is no reason for the papers, sportspeople or anyone with a public profile to support it. They would be mad to!

Whereas, those who put money in a poppy tin know exactly where that money is going and what for - namely to provide practical support to injured soldiers and their families and to former soldiers and their families. The only political stuff the RBL gets involved in is lobby government to better help those the RBL helps.

You don't .........helps.

....all of which you can point out when somebody starts a thread as to why or why not one should wear a lilly.

You don't see any of course as it is political. The poppy appeal is not.

With Sinn Fein, eirigi, RSF and whoever else using it as a fundraiser and the NGA not being a charity there is no reason for the papers, sportspeople or anyone with a public profile to support it. They would be mad to!

Whereas, those who put money in a poppy tin know exactly where that money is going and what for - namely to provide practical support to injured soldiers and their families and to former soldiers and their families. The only political stuff the RBL gets involved in is lobby government to better help those the RBL helps.
    If you buy a lily off of the NGA the money goes to maintaining graves and monuments, they do excellent work and are more oft than not broke.

The Irish posters in particular who have no problem with the poppy and wear one do not know that. They still think its going towards ceremonies for WW1 soldiers when in fact the funds(UK oriented definitely) from the purchase of a poppy go towards the welfare of the Bloody Sunday killers.

What we need is a new Irish symbol to stop muddying the lines as it was Irish soldiers who fought and died for Irish freedom(Redmonds con) in WWI, they did not die for Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The Irish posters in particular who have no problem with the poppy and wear one do not know that. They still think its going towards ceremonies for WW1 soldiers when in fact the funds(UK oriented definitely) from the purchase of a poppy go towards the welfare of the Bloody Sunday killers.

What we need is a new Irish symbol to stop muddying the lines as it was Irish soldiers who fought and died for Irish freedom(Redmonds con) in WWI, they did not die for Britain.

What about Irish people like me who know that it helps retired servicemen and have no issue with it?

Traitors like the Irish president going to a Remembrance Sunday service?

philologos wrote: »
    What about Irish people like me who know that it helps retired servicemen and have no issue with it??

what about ye indeed......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Some of the men who enlisted weren't politically motivated at all. They just needed a wage and there were sod all opportunities elsewhere.

What about Irish people like me who know that it helps retired servicemen and have no issue with it?

Traitors like the Irish president going to a Remembrance Sunday service?

Irish Unionists have no problem with helping ex BA servicemen and no the Irish president is not a traitor for attending a memorial service for WWI Irish fallen soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

Unless in the unlikely event that the ex-Bloody Sunday soldiers are living in the Republic, all funds raised in the Republic stay in the Republic. That's straight from the RBL here, as stated on several occasions by them since Enniskillen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Irish Unionists have no problem with helping ex BA servicemen and no the Irish president is not a traitor for attending a memorial service for WWI Irish fallen soldiers.

I support the Republic and it's continued existence but carry on I find this thinking intriguing :)

So less soldiers have a chance to kill with costly deadlier weapons, still a good thing? You come across as a poster that likes war, hope not?;)

As I posted previously (can't find it now) I'm far from being a war monger but I believe being ill prepared for possible conflicts is a recipe for disaster.

If you buy a lily off of the NGA the money goes to maintaining graves and monuments, they do excellent work and are more oft than not broke.

And also commemorate the Graves of Sean Russell, Peter Barnes and James McCormick.

Great patriots.:rolleyes:

Unless in the unlikely event that the ex-Bloody Sunday soldiers are living in the Republic, all funds raised in the Republic stay in the Republic. That's straight from the RBL here, as stated on several occasions by them since Enniskillen.

Read again. "when in fact the funds(UK oriented definitely) from the purchase of a poppy go towards the welfare of the Bloody Sunday killers". Ireland is not part of the UK. There are Irish people from the ROI who have served in English\Scottish\Welsh regiments in the BA during the Troubles so your ROI poppy funds are not ringfenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

Read again. "when in fact the funds(UK oriented definitely) from the purchase of a poppy go towards the welfare of the Bloody Sunday killers". Ireland is not part of the UK. There are Irish people from the ROI who have served in English\Scottish\Welsh regiments in the BA during the Troubles so your ROI poppy funds are not ringfenced.

Who do I believe, a random guy off the internet, or the people who collect and distribute the funds?

Does the money go to UDR people as well as the other murderers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

No, I doubt if any of it goes to to pira,cira,rira,inla,uvf,uff,rhc.:mad:

I support the Republic and it's continued existence but carry on I find this thinking intriguing :)

Do you think you are some sort of Florence of Nightingale or something? You've no problem helping ex-BA personnel who murdered Irish people, says alot about your hidden thinking.
    Who do I believe, a random guy off the internet, or the people who collect and distribute the funds?

Is that a denial, sidestep or what?

No, I doubt if any of it goes to to pira,cira,rira,inla,uvf,uff,rhc.:mad:
    I was referring to the regiments gurramok mentioned, interesting you put consider them the same as the red hand commandos.

• Advertisement

How do you define James McCormick and Peter Barnes?

Advertisement