Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental arrears 9%

Options
  • 28-10-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

A recent article in the guardian referenced a report that all rentals in the uk are in arrears of 9%. Any such numbers available for ireland ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

A recent article in the guardian referenced a report that all rentals in the uk are in arrears of 9%. Any such numbers available for ireland ?
    I doubt it's anything near that,. The housing benefit there is paid direct to the LL AFAIK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dearth of Irish data- and of the data we have, most of it relates to mortgage rather than rent arrears. 14% of privately rented accommodation is in arrears, totalling mortgages just under 35 billion. These are next on the hitlist for lending institutions (along with small scale developers and those with debts of under 15m).

The Irish market doesn't have the clarity thats available in the UK- however, its a good assumption that things are going to go rapidly downhill, esp. with the property tax next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I doubt it's anything near that,. The housing benefit there is paid direct to the LL AFAIK.

are you saying the report is incorrect ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

are you saying the report is incorrect ?
    No, I'm saying I doubt the Irish stats are 9%. I can't comment on the uk Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

smccarrick wrote: »
    Dearth of Irish data- and of the data we have, most of it relates to mortgage rather than rent arrears. 14% of privately rented accommodation is in arrears, totalling mortgages just under 35 billion. These are next on the hitlist for lending institutions (along with small scale developers and those with debts of under 15m).

The Irish market doesn't have the clarity thats available in the UK- however, its a good assumption that things are going to go rapidly downhill, esp. with the property tax next year.

14% seems to be a fairly high figure. Whats the international average and turning a recession what does 14% stand out as ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement