Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone dropped in toilet

• 28-10-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I did the dreaded thing and dropped my phone in the toilet. Grabbed it back out within 5 seconds, dried it and looked ok and tried to make a call but I couldn't hear any sound when I made the call. Each time I try to power it off it powers itself back on.
    The battery is 50% so will be a while before it runs down. It's in the bowl of rice & covered with a towel , but I think its fcuked. Hopefully after a day or so it will be ok :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi All

I did the dreaded thing and dropped my phone in the toilet. Grabbed it back out within 5 seconds, dried it and looked ok and tried to make a call but I couldn't hear any sound when I made the call.
    Each time I try to power it off it powers itself back on. The battery is 50% so will be a while before it runs down. It's in the bowl of rice & covered with a towel , but I think its fcuked. Hopefully after a day or so it will be ok :(
    Thanks for sharing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

try a hoover too,it's worked many times for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Hi All

I did the dreaded thing and dropped my phone in the toilet. Grabbed it back out within 5 seconds, dried it and looked ok and tried to make a call but I couldn't hear any sound when I made the call. Each time I try to power it off it powers itself back on.
    The battery is 50% so will be a while before it runs down. It's in the bowl of rice & covered with a towel , but I think its fcuked. Hopefully after a day or so it will be ok :(

The bowl of rice will work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

endacl wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing?

how does that help me ???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭endacl

how does that help me ???????
    You didn't ask for help!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Did you have the iWet app installed?

If you did you can activate it and it dries your phone out in about 9.44 seconds, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Some people are so inconsiderate.

OP, make sure you keep it in the rice for 48 hours and your phone should be saved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

endacl wrote: »
    You didn't ask for help!!!!!!!!!
    True, but I'll try anyway.

OP don't cook the rice. HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

If it is gone, iPhone will replace it if its a 4 or 4S for a charge of €160 I think.

If it is gone, iPhone will replace it if its a 4 or 4S for a charge of €160 I think.

Orly. I didn't know that. See if the rice works 1st before I call them.

• Advertisement

Orly. I didn't know that. See if the rice works 1st before I call them.

I only found out about it recently, they replace it with a refurbished model but its handy to know.

I only found out about it recently, they replace it with a refurbished model but its handy to know.

I have an iPhone4, I assume they replace like with like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Even for a water damaged one?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Even for a water damaged one?

Does not matter the reason for the damage, cracked screen or any other ptoblem as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Does not matter the reason for the damage, cracked screen or any other ptoblem as far as I know.

Jaysus, that is handy. Never knew that.

That is with Apple Care+, only available in the US.

Apple won't give a replacement for your own accidental damage. Especially water damage. They check this via the phones sensors.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    That is with Apple Care+, only available in the US.

Apple won't give a replacement for your own accidental damage. Especially water damage. They check this via the phones sensors.

I did not say it was a free replacement you have to pay for it, I will tell me friend who recently in Ireland had a 4 and 4S replaced for a payment of €160 if I remember each, that it did not happen. In fact my friend who has been an apple head for years oly discovered this by accident, they do it for iPad as well but I think the price was over €300. It's called an out of warrenty repair in UK it's £139 link here http://m.hotukdeals.com/misc/out-of-warranty-replacement-iphone-645239?mforwarded=true.

From Apple

Out-of-Warranty Service
    If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service Fee listed below.

iPhone Model Out-of-Warranty Service
    iPhone 5 €241.30
    iPhone 4S €211.30
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
    iPhone 3G, Original iPhone €161.30
    The Out-of-Warranty Service Fee includes a €12.30 shipping fee, which applies only if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in euros and include VAT.
    iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service may also be available from your wireless carrier. Pricing may vary.

When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorisation for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

I did not say it was a free replacement you have to pay for it, I will tell me friend who recently in Ireland had a 4 and 4S replaced for a payment of €160 if I remember each, that it did not happen. In fact my friend who has been an apple head for years oly discovered this by accident, they do it for iPad as well but I think the price was over €300. It's called an out of warrenty repair in UK it's £139 link here http://m.hotukdeals.com/misc/out-of-warranty-replacement-iphone-645239?mforwarded=true.

From Apple

Out-of-Warranty Service
    If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service Fee listed below.

iPhone Model Out-of-Warranty Service
    iPhone 5 €241.30
    iPhone 4S €211.30
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
    iPhone 3G, Original iPhone €161.30
    The Out-of-Warranty Service Fee includes a €12.30 shipping fee, which applies only if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in euros and include VAT.
    iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service may also be available from your wireless carrier. Pricing may vary.

When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorisation for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

What part of that says replacement? I see repair but not replacement.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    What part of that says replacement? I see repair but not replacement.

My mate received a replacement, which was a referb. In any case it's a repaired iPhone or refurbished for a max of €161.30 inc. postage. Which to me is a good option for the OP. Also the hotdealsuk link clearly states it was a replacement.

DO you have to use the HUKD link or can you just call apple.ie

• Advertisement

Hi All

OK update.

Turned on my phone after the 2 days in the rice. It has a few problems so far.
    The camera takes pics of its own accord.
    The "Swipe to power off" of its own accord as well.

I will see how it is over the next day or so.

I'm happy phone is back :)

But not happy with the problems listed above :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Have you tried restoring it?

guil wrote: »
    Have you tried restoring it?

I didn't restore it as the phone is working fine now :)
    It must have had some gremlins in it that didn't want to leave :P

Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I didn't restore it as the phone is working fine now :)
    It must have had some gremlins in it that didn't want to leave :P

Thanks anyway :)

Great to hear you got it working.
    Reganovski wrote: »
    The bowl of rice will work

One question on this incase of future reference, How long until you can't stick it into the rice? I could imagine rushing to the shop to buy some and be back and its to late.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have 3 bags of rice tucked in at the back of my press just in case this ever happens.

Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

OK update.

Turned on my phone after the 2 days in the rice. It has a few problems so far.
    The camera takes pics of its own accord.
    The "Swipe to power off" of its own accord as well.

I will see how it is over the next day or so.

I'm happy phone is back :)

But not happy with the problems listed above :(

Your phone still has moisture on its circuits.

Continuing to use could cause more problems leave it back in the rice for another few days or bring it to a shop to open and dry out.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Great to hear you got it working.

One question on this incase of future reference, How long until you can't stick it into the rice? I could imagine rushing to the shop to buy some and be back and its to late.

Doesnt matter, really.
    The main thing is to try and switch it off if you can, power running through the wet circuits could short something.
    After that leave it off and leave it in the rice as long as you can ( a week is better than 2 days).
    The worst thing you cand do is keep turning it on to see if it is working.

Bummer1234 wrote: »

I didn't have any rice so had to rush to the shop and buy some. It was in the rice within 20 mins. The problem was the phone kept powering on after I powered it off. I though the rice trick wouldn't work because of that but luckily it did :)

Your phone still has moisture on its circuits.

Continuing to use could cause more problems leave it back in the rice for another few days or bring it to a shop to open and dry out.

Oh really. I though it was fixed now :(.
    You think I should need to put back in the rice for more time ?

• Advertisement

Oh really. I though it was fixed now :(.
    You think I should need to put back in the rice for more time ?

No the problems you described sound like there is still mouisture in there.
    If you can give it another few days in the rice do it can only help, although i know how tempting it is to try and use striaght away.

Advertisement