Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router does not have WiFi signal

Options
  • 28-10-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

To make a long story short, I am living abroad and renting. The internet is included in the price of the flat. I can only connect to the internet by Ethernet, as the router/provider (box thing - I'm not the most techy person) apparently does not have WiFi included (according to the landlord).

So my question is, if someone knows enough about these things :) is, if I buy a router would this allow wireless usage? Or is there any way of getting a wireless signal from the router (Motorola SBV5120E SURFboard).

Any help would be appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

You could buy a relatively cheap wireless router and connect it by Ethernet to your wired router. You could then use it as a wireless access point. You can also buy purpose built access points.

A cheap and cheerful Netgear wireless N router would do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You have a router, you do not need another router as it may lead to issues (double Nat), what you need is a wireless access point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You have a router, you do not need another router as it may lead to issues (double Nat), what you need is a wireless access point

The reason I suggested a net-gear router is that they have an access point mode and may be easier to source in the local computer shop than an access point.

Disabling NAT etc is straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 drpm_99

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Ok thank you for the information, but unfortunately like I said, I am not very techy (as in, I havent got a clue what youre talking about)...Can you offer any more help...sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 agricamera

drpm_99 wrote: »
    Ok thank you for the information, but unfortunately like I said, I am not very techy (as in, I havent got a clue what youre talking about)...Can you offer any more help...sorry :D

But this and plug it in :cool:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=wireless+access+point&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17909098715406486241&sa=X&ei=L4-OUMn0JYew0QWDv4DoBQ&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 drpm_99

Thanks a million for that...and please excuse my ignorance about all things technical - ill give this a try (hopefully I won't be back in this thread - other than to thank all of you good people ;)

Advertisement