Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English refereeing's darkest day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Three awful decisions in the West Ham/Everton game today.

absolutely abysmal officiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Three awful decisions in the West Ham/Everton game today.

absolutely abysmal officiating.

it doesnt matter though as its not in favour of United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Both sending offs were really bad. I remember listening to Merson's reaction and thought he might be exaggerating the incidents but IMO they were yellows at most but if ya send off Cole, Gibson has to go also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Reading were robbed of a penalty today big time

Not to mention Wigan having two very very good penalty shouts ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

kryogen wrote: »
    Not to mention Wigan having two very very good penalty shouts ignored.

Which incidents were those? After watching the game today I cant remember off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Which incidents were those? After watching the game today I cant remember off the top of my head.

Vermaelen and Gibbs's handballs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ive been sitting waiting for this thread to be resurrected for the past hour, yet funningly enough, nothings been posted.

i think we have just seen the worst and most costliest decision of the season, yet there appears to be no outrage:confused::confused::confused:

worst thing for me is that fact that Rodgers has just said that the 4th official told him that it was a handball, yet he never said the same thing to the ref. how on earth can an official sit back and allow this to go unnoticed is just a farce and makes a mokery of the respect campaign.

today indeed, is a dark day for officials in england, all four of them should be demoted from PL net week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For the benefit of those of us who didn't see any of the games today, what exactly are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Mansfield were cheated no doubt, but I don't see how it's the costliest decision of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

For the benefit of those of us who didn't see any of the games today, what exactly are you on about?
    Suarez goal assisted by his hand in the most obvious way. Pretty incredible he wasn't called up on it when you consider the view the linesman had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Saurez scored the winning goal after he handled it. Goal was given.

Media sh*tstorm because he kissed his hand after he scored and the uninformed raging not realising he usually does that when he scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Suarez let the air out of the wheels of a school bus before the game. Later on in the 75th minutes it ploughed through the east stand killing all inside.
    It then flipped five times across the pitch wiping out the whole Mansfield team whilst Suarez was going through on goal, but the keeper saved his shot only for Suarez to handle the ball into the net.

The wrist kissing was a bit much considering.

Yup, need a little help here knowing what happened too as I dont actually watch Liverpool games

Edit: I read what happened now, "opportunist" behaviour again by Suarez? Wow Im shocked, unfortunate the officials didnt do the right thing if it was as obvious as made out

Kirby wrote: »
    Saurez scored the winning goal after he handled it. Goal was given.

Media sh*tstorm because he kissed his hand after he scored and the uninformed raging not realising he usually does that when he scores.
    It's got nothing to do with wrist kissing. It was a shocking decision to allow the goal stand. Really poor officiating it has to be said. I don't blame Suarez one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Mansfield were cheated no doubt, but I don't see how it's the costliest decision of the season?

*Most costliest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

2ndcoming wrote: »

The money a replay would have given a team the size of Mansfield would be quite costly indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

worst thing for me is that fact that Rodgers has just said that the 4th official told him that it was a handball, yet he never said the same thing to the ref.

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Really poor officiating it has to be said. I don't blame Suarez one bit.
    jesus christ on a bike, that kind of comment takes zero self awareness to pull off. Absolutely pathetic.

Honest question:

Blatant dive in the box or what happened today. Which is worse, and why?

• Advertisement

all this incident will prove is that

a) United will get way more attention/outrage for these types of situations

and b) Fans of the club not involved have much stronger feelings when its not their team getting the decisions like today

For all who didn't see the slaying of the kids;

1357493038961.gif

1357496226638.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Leiva wrote: »
    Honest question:

Blatant dive in the box or what happened today. Which is worse, and why?

The dive. Because a dive is cheating by intent and you can make an argument that Saurez didn't mean to handle it.

you seem overly keen to trivialise it. its cheating, no matter what way you want to spin it

lol, the ironic thing is that the very same linesman who made that call which inspired this thread (disallowing Suarezs goal in the 2-2) was the same one that missed it today!

in that same game, Marriner failed to send off both Sterling and Suarez, as well as giving a wrong decision against Everton which led to the first goal.

he is a very poor official and should be punished for his mistake today, as should all of them.

Leftist wrote: »
    jesus christ on a bike, that kind of comment takes zero self awareness to pull off. Absolutely pathetic.
    Ok, good chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lol, the ironic thing is that the very same linesman who made that call which inspired this thread (disallowing Suarezs goal in the 2-2) was the same one that missed it today!

in that same game, Marriner failed to send off both Sterling and Suarez, as well as giving a wrong decision against Everton which led to the first goal.

he is a very poor official and should be punished for his mistake today, as should all of them.

It's amazing you how you can only remember the decisions that Liverpool supposedly got an advantage from. Actually, knowing your posting history it's not amazing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Why would a ref listen to the 4th official's opinion of an incident that he and his linesman saw from closer, better viewpoints?

There's the possibility also that the handball was considered possibly accidental, and Suarez got the benefit of the doubt. Looked intentional on slow motion replay to me but in realtime the officials may not have been sure.

In any case, pathetic reaction in here. Are we all to dig up months old threads when unrelated isolated incidents occur? Whats wrong with the match thread?

Kirby wrote: »
    The dive. Because a dive is cheating by intent and you can make an argument that Saurez didn't mean to handle it.

ah come off it ffs, what happened today and incidents like Henry and Maradona are as bad as it gets when it comes to football. the fundamental rule of football is that the game is played without the use of hands, with the spirit and integrity of the rulebook to be maintained.

when a player is taking a dive, he does not know what is going to happen. he may get a free kick/penalty, he may get a booking, nothing may happen. theres too many possibilities....

when somebody handles the ball and it goes in the net, its a totally different ball game. handball cheating > any other form of cheating and its not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Suarez let the air out of the wheels of a school bus before the game. Later on in the 75th minutes it ploughed through the east stand killing all inside.
    It then flipped five times across the pitch wiping out the whole Mansfield team whilst Suarez was going through on goal, but the keeper saved his shot only for Suarez to handle the ball into the net.

To be fair, the topic at hand here is the fact the referee and his assistants missed the handball, not the fact Suarez was the one who handled it.

Obviously some will use this as an opportunity to slate Suarez, but the person who revived this thread never even mentioned Suarez in his post. No need for your over exaggeration of the incident.

After Suarez's legit goal disallowed at goodison he was due a decision.

They even themselves out over a season don't they? Who said that again?...

homerjay can I ask you a question;Why did you wait an hour for someone else to bring this thread back from the dead if you yourself were so outraged?

Sappy404 wrote: »

In any case, pathetic reaction in here. Are we all to dig up months old threads when unrelated isolated incidents occur? Whats wrong with the match thread?

you realise the irony of this comment given the thread you are posting in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The ol' world against Liverpool attitude, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

when a player is taking a dive, he does not know what is going to happen. he may get a free kick/penalty, he may get a booking, nothing may happen. theres too many possibilities....

Ah yes, every handball is ignored....it's a surprise this tactic isn't used more often.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

Glad he got it out of the way against the mighty Mansfield Town :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

i think we have just seen the worst and most costliest decision of the season, yet there appears to be no outrage:confused::confused::confused:

Liverpool were 1-0 up at the time, just because the game finished 2-1 doesn't mean it would have finished 1-1 had the goal been disallowed. Football doesn't work that way. Yes, the decision cost Mansfield a chance of getting back into the game, but it definitely wasn't the costliest decision of the season. Not even close.
    worst thing for me is that fact that Rodgers has just said that the 4th official told him that it was a handball, yet he never said the same thing to the ref. how on earth can an official sit back and allow this to go unnoticed is just a farce and makes a mokery of the respect campaign.

Did you consider that maybe the linesman missed it in real time, had a look at the replays after the match and then admitted to Rodgers that it was indeed a handball?

Common sense would dictate that it's the most likely thing to have happened.

homerjay can I ask you a question;Why did you wait an hour for someone else to bring this thread back from the dead if you yourself were so outraged?

was just waiting for more evidence of the massive hypocritical nature of this forum. 100s of post in a short space of time (thread created with the full time whislte barely blown) when something happened to go for united, yet when United get decisions against them, people dont care. likewise, i would have expected 50-100 posts by the time the game was over, yet nothing was posted.

indeed, i remember at the time multiple posts from you in the space of a few minutes complaining about David Gill and all sorts of conspiracies. whats the conspiracy theory about todays game?

1, if not two penalties not given to Mansfield and then at the most crucial juncture of the game, a goal given that shouldnt have stood.

you mean the same Suarez who should have been sitting in the dressing room but the ref bottled the red card he should have been shown, or the fact that Gerrard just fell over for the free that led to the same "goal". it was Everton who were shafted that day, but this place has a habit of just ignoring things, to suit their agenda.
    Blatter wrote: »

Did you consider that maybe the linesman missed it in real time, had a look at the replays after the match and then admitted to Rodgers that it was indeed a handball?

Common sense would dictate that it's the most likely thing to have happened.

nope, rodgers clearly said that he asked the official at the time so no, no common sense at all. if you seen the game, you would acknlwledge that Mansfield were well on top and the goal came at a period where they just had about 6 chances to equalise. the goal knocked the stuffing out of them for 20 mins, but again they took over and i think very few can argue that the goal cost them a replay.

was just waiting for more evidence of the massive hypocritical nature of this forum. 100s of post in a short space of time (thread created with the full time whislte barely blown) when something happened to go for united, yet when United get decisions against them, people dont care. likewise, i would have expected 50-100 posts by the time the game was over, yet nothing was posted.

indeed, i remember at the time multiple posts from you in the space of a few minutes complaining about David Gill and all sorts of conspiracies. whats the conspiracy theory about todays game?

1, if not two penalties not given to Mansfield and then at the most crucial juncture of the game, a goal given that shouldnt have stood.

I'm baking a cake, can I borrow some of that tinfoil

He has a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

The decision that day evened out Suarez attempting to break Distin's ankle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sturridge had a shot on goal in the second half which came off a defender, but the linesman gave a goal kick instead of a corner. Joke of a decision which could have cost. Dark day for officials!!

To be fair, the topic at hand here is the fact the referee and his assistants missed the handball.

Nope.

Read on and you will see real reason. It just took a couple of questions to expose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

That's a silly response and a bit rich considering a lot of your rubbish on here.

That's a silly response and a bit rich considering a lot of your rubbish on here.

I'll take that as a compliment from you ;)

Nope.

Read on and you will see real reason. It just took a couple of questions to expose it.

ill ask you again, seen as you seem to have missed my question.

Whats your conspiracy theory about todays decisions? it was david gill according to you the last time United got a decision, what was it today?

you seemed to have a reason back then, so surely the same applies today?

ill ask you again, seen as you seem to have missed my question.

Whats your conspiracy theory about todays decisions? it was david gill according to you the last time United got a decision, what was it today?

you seemed to have a reason back then, so surely the same applies today?

Homer you have me mixed up with someone else.

Lumbo wrote: »
    The decision that day evened out Suarez attempting to break Distin's ankle.

He actually attempted to break his ankle? Pre-meditated?

Does Lionel Hutz know about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

nope, rodgers clearly said that he asked the official at the time so no, no common sense at all. if you seen the game, you would acknlwledge that Mansfield were well on top and the goal came at a period where they just had about 6 chances to equalise. the goal knocked the stuffing out of them for 20 mins, but again they took over and i think very few can argue that the goal cost them a replay.

That's very odd with regards the 4th official if true. I'd still say there must be some sort of other explanation for it, I don't see why he'd hang himself so easily otherwise.

Linesman to Rodgers: ''It was a handball but I decided to not say anything'' - doesn't make sense.

Not saying Mansfield wouldn't have gotten a replay but i just can't say that decision alone cost them one. If Liverpool hadn't gone 2-0 up with that Suarez goal, maybe they would have pushed on for another and/or be more concentrated at the back (and not conceded the one they did). Or maybe Mansfield would have equalised and Liverpool then went on to score another and win. Or maybe they would have got a replay.

Far too many other things could have happened if the goal wasn't allowed, can't say it cost them the replay. Cost them a realistic chance of one yes, but that's about it.

BREAKING: Luis Suarez tells SSN that he handled the ball to score because he feared that he might get killed if he headed the ball

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement