Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English refereeing's darkest day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Xavi6 wrote: »

That would explain all the whinging Pool fans today :pac:
    They got boards locked after that one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

i8FQqgBLCeBOW.gif

This angle shows Clattenburg's view on this. Anybody have any sympathy for him? It looks dodgy from Torres to me. It's only on the front facing angle that it looks like contact was made.

iM78eYeM4t8Jc.gif

His high boot if anyone is interested. Probably merited a red but they're rarely given. Usually a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Darkest day? LOL! Thats December 21st of course....winter solstice and all that jazz....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

i8FQqgBLCeBOW.gif

This angle shows Clattenburg's view on this. Anybody have any sympathy for him? It looks dodgy from Torres to me. It's only on the front facing angle that it looks like contact was made.

iM78eYeM4t8Jc.gif

His high boot if anyone is interested. Probably merited a red but they're rarely given. Usually a yellow.

Like I said before; from that angle, the only angle the ref gets to see, and only gets to see it once, it could easily be a foul, but could be a dive. Rather than encourage cheaters to be winners he errs on the side of caution and nominates it as a dive. Not outrageous a decision weighing up all the circumstances!

And that Torres high boot is like Evans on Drogba!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ref'ing in professional football is nearly an impossible job now.

You are watched by 20 cameras, millions on TV, judged by super slo-mo and have to try to guess what 22 cheats are doing. Your governing bodies refuse to let you use technology to do your job better. You can ref brilliantly for many games on end, yet make one bad call in a split second and you are dragged over the coals by everyone for being useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

NIMAN wrote: »

You are watched by 20 cameras, millions on TV, judged by super slo-mo and have to try to guess what 22 cheats are doing. Your governing bodies refuse to let you use technology to do your job better. You can ref brilliantly for many games on end, yet make one bad call in a split second and you are dragged over the coals by everyone for being useless.
    5232764557_fascinating_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

OP, that's rubbish.

This was clearly English refereeing's darkest day:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That would explain all the whinging Pool fans today :pac:

How predictable ;)

Seriously, this should benefit the small clubs who whinge about decisions going against them.

The "small"clubs will win out of this, video replays don't care what club you play for.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Just for an outside perspective, I asked my girlfriend (who has no interest in football) if it seemed odd that United's chief executive was also vice-chairman of the FA, because to be honest it seems a bit like a conflict of interest to me.

Her response was "It makes sense to me that they would choose someone who is actually involved in football".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Manchester United always seem to have an advantage when it comes to referee decisions.

Many people(united fans) are going to attack this post but its very likely that they are only watching football for at most ten years. I've been watching it since before Alex Ferguson was manager of United and even back then it seemed that united got many decisions going their way which weren't given in other games.

They are and were the most popular club in England and I suppose its not that surprising as a result of that but it can be quite sickening at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    Manchester United always seem to have an advantage when it comes to referee decisions.

Many people(united fans) are going to attack this post but its very likely that they are only watching football for at most ten years. I've been watching it since before Alex Ferguson was manager of United and even back then it seemed that united got many decisions going their way which weren't given in other games.

They are and were the most popular club in England and I suppose its not that surprising as a result of that but it can be quite sickening at times.

So no further back than 2002/03? I'd say if you did a poll you'd find that to be nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

So no further back than 2002/03? I'd say if you did a poll you'd find that to be nonsense.

So is the rest of the post.
    Guess which team he supports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Just for an outside perspective, I asked my girlfriend (who has no interest in football) if it seemed odd that United's chief executive was also vice-chairman of the FA, because to be honest it seems a bit like a conflict of interest to me.

Her response was "It makes sense to me that they would choose someone who is actually involved in football".

I'm afraid we are going to have to see a few pics of her before we can take her opinions seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Where was all the outrage about UEFAs refs when Hernandez was repeatedly wrongly flagged during the week?

Usual anti-united nonsense

ceegee wrote: »
    Where was all the outrage about UEFAs refs when Hernandez was repeatedly wrongly flagged during the week?

Usual anti-united nonsense

It has already been discussed here. We are looking for a gmae before that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

niallo27 wrote: »
    It has already been discussed here. We are looking for a gmae before that though.

Spurs. Should of had Peno.

Spurs. Should of had Peno.

I'm taking about dodgy decisions not half arsed claims.

I'm taking about dodgy decisions not half arsed claims.

That was a peno. Or are Penos not included?

Cause that would make up about 50% of these conspiracy Liverpool fans claim over past few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Video ref- simple.

That was a peno. Or are Penos not included?

Cause that would make up about 50% of these conspiracy Liverpool fans claim over past few seasons.

No pens are included, your clutching at straws at the spurs game i think.

• Advertisement

No pens are included, your clutching at straws at the spurs game i think.

lol

Ah Stop lad just stop. No I am not it was clear Penalty as they come. In fairness Spurs deserved the win. Not whinging about the result.

tbh I might as well be talking to wall I say:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Ares wrote: »
    A black day today for English football.

Liverpool with a fine goal in the 93rd minute disallowed for a wrong offside when none existed.

Fernando Torres sent off for a non existant dive after being taken out of it by Johnny Evans.

Javier Hernandez winner being allowed despite him being quite a bit offside.

This comes after notable incidents already this season, Jordi Gomez and Jonjo Shelvey's wrong sending offs, Robert Huth stamping on Luis Suarez' chest and countless other incidents.

At what stage does it end?

Its quite clear that the standard of refereeing isn't getting better. What can be done to make it better? Is a second referee needed?

Does David Gill's position within the FA make for a conflict of interest?

Today really should be Rubicon day for English football if the powers at be want to. I don't think they will however.

always the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

NIMAN wrote: »

You are watched by 20 cameras, millions on TV, judged by super slo-mo and have to try to guess what 22 cheats are doing. Your governing bodies refuse to let you use technology to do your job better. You can ref brilliantly for many games on end, yet make one bad call in a split second, Call one player a "monkey" and another a "Spanish Twat", and you are dragged over the coals by everyone for being useless.

FYP.

lol

Ah Stop lad just stop. No I am not it was clear Penalty as they come. In fairness Spurs deserved the win. Not whinging about the result.

tbh I might as well be talking to wall I say:pac:

I know how you feel, you lot are so stubborn. It must come from the manager down.

I know how you feel, you lot are so stubborn. It must come from the manager down.

You only see what you want to see.

Leftist wrote: »
    always the victim.

Always the "controversial" reply.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

People make mistakes and when they happen some supporters attitudes are awful. I've heard as many people accusing Clattenburg of being biassed or bribed than I've heard saying he just had a bad game when the latter is almost certainly the truth. Between biassed fans and trolls it's almost impossible to have a reasonable discussion of it online.

The only real option is technology. In top level leagues goal line and offside decisions should be automated and major refereeing decisions should have instant video review. Some people will claim that it's ruining the game but they can't have things both ways. There'll still be occasional contentious decisions but the majority of major game changing moments we're talking about from yesterday's games would almost always be officiated correctly.

always the victim.
    530068.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

always the victim.

Want to explain that?

People make mistakes and when they happen some supporters attitudes are awful. I've heard as many people accusing Clattenburg of being biassed or bribed than I've heard saying he just had a bad game when the latter is almost certainly the truth. Between biassed fans and trolls it's almost impossible to have a reasonable discussion of it online.

The only real option is technology. In top level leagues goal line and offside decisions should be automated and major refereeing decisions should have instant video review. Some people will claim that it's ruining the game but they can't have things both ways. There'll still be occasional contentious decisions but the majority of major game changing moments we're talking about from yesterday's games would almost always be officiated correctly.

good post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think we need the TMO now. I don't believe they even themseves out either. They go in favour of the better teams, which is normal enough.

As a Liverpool fan I am disappointed that the ref got a few things wrong yesterday but an Everton fan would probably point to Suarez's tackle on Distan as being a red.

Something that can be stopped immeadiately though, and which in my opinion would be of enormous benefit to officials, is the constant crowding of match officials to put pressure on them. It does have an effect. It makes them second guess themselves.

When the TMO comes in we'll all be astounded with the ease of its use and amazed that it didn't come in 10 years earlier.

Melion wrote: »
    Want to explain that?

united and the f.a always conspiring with referees to keep liverpool down.

gill at the top pulling the strings.

Suarez the victim, never at fault. Should have been sent off before the disallowed goal. Just like ronaldo and just like nani, he gives referees cause to distrust him (the huth incident) but no, for liverpool it's a conspiracy. Everything is blamed on referees.

united get all the decisions.

Except for when drogba won the league in 2010, at old trafford, with an offside goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think your choice of language could have been better. If you feel you have a valid point then make it without using language that some would consider insulting and deliberately inflammatory

Suarez the victim, never at fault.

That's completely in your head, Suarez gets plenty of criticism from pool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

At the end of the day, the powers that be don't want soccer to be an honest game.
    Hence the reluctance to bring in any type of modern technology.
    If it wasn't for all the controversy the game wouldn't get all the attention that it does.
    As a Liverpool fan, I can easily admit that Suarez is a diver and that type of sh1te should be kicked out of the game, but for certain other posters come on and make out he's the only one I think they should get their own houses in order before commenting on others.

*Loved Suarez's dive yesterday in front of moyes, scouse humor at it's best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

gerryo777 wrote: »
    *Loved Suarez's dive yesterday in front of moyes, scouse humor at it's best.
    His northern Irish manager said this too. Scouse humour by a Uruguayan, in front of a Scottish manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Frankly, I think both him and Valencia got contact, but went over easily. They both got booked. Despite both being fouls, they both simulated falling over more than they should.

Frankly, I think this is a welcome development, and a strong disincentive for diving. People will lament a United conspiracy, etc. etc. etc, but taking a step back, isn't this exactly the sort of diving that people are desperate to stamp out?

K-9 wrote: »

That's completely in your head, Suarez gets plenty of criticism from pool fans.
    In fairness you will find just as many defending him.

cambo2008 wrote: »

Of course we will because he is a brilliant footballer so you can let a few small things slide.

• Advertisement

Of course we will because he is a brilliant footballer so you can let a few small things slide.
    There's plenty that still can't get their head around why he's being "victimised" by referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

PHB wrote: »
    Frankly, I think both him and Valencia got contact, but went over easily. They both got booked. Despite both being fouls, they both simulated falling over more than they should.

Frankly, I think this is a welcome development, and a strong disincentive for diving. People will lament a United conspiracy, etc. etc. etc, but taking a step back, isn't this exactly the sort of diving that people are desperate to stamp out?

This sums it up exactly. Diving and theatrics are a stain on the game and it's great to see refs try to stamp it out. They won't get it right all the time but torres's red yesterday might make some players thing twice about making a meal out of slightest contact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Nobody defends his diving

This sums it up exactly. Diving and theatrics are a stain on the game and it's great to see refs try to stamp it out. They won't get it right all the time but torres's red yesterday might make some players thing twice about making a meal out of slightest contact.

Hopefully Ashley Young has a good look at it.

Dont forget Danny Welbeck.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I think your choice of language could have been better. If you feel you have a valid point then make it without using language that some would consider insulting and deliberately inflammatory

I think my choice of language was accurate.
    it's got nothing, absolutely nothing to do with anything other than football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

All of them regardless of who they play for. And if young starts getting booked i hope the united fans don't start crying about it like some others;)

In fairness no. In fairness you had a poster or 2 on here saying he should be sold as well, minority opinions that stand out, not many at all as far as I can see.

All of them regardless of who they play for. And if young starts getting booked i hope the united fans don't start crying about it like some others;)

Suarez being booked or sent off for diving is one thing, being denied stonewalled penalties and legitimate goals is more serious altogether.

Melion wrote: »
    Nobody defends his diving
    Nobody?
    That's a fairly definitive answer there Melion. So if someone did a search, like yesterday, there would be no posts defending Suarez diving?? Interesting...

Seriously though, there are plenty that can't see why he doesn't get free kicks when he probably should and try to make out he's not a <insert appropriate insult here> when everyone else has good reason to think he is.

If you want to see the worst Ref display in UK this weekend then look no further.

Go to 1:00 for the start of poor display by officials. Hibs got 3 major decisions in their favour.

Wonder are Hibs bribing Refs? Did Pat Fenlon give Brown envelope to Ref at any Stage? ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement