Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English refereeing's darkest day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Suarez being booked or sent off for diving is one thing, being denied stonewalled penalties and legitimate goals is more serious altogether.

How can you not understand that the reason he doesn't get these decisions is because of the reputation he has brought on himself. There hasn't been a game this season where he hasn't been involved in some taking point. You can't blame refs for getting sick of his constant bull****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Nobody?
    That's a fairly definitive answer there Melion. So if someone did a search, like yesterday, there would be no posts defending Suarez diving?? Interesting...

Seriously though, there are plenty that can't see why he doesn't get free kicks when he probably should and try to make out he's not a <insert appropriate insult here> when everyone else has good reason to think he is.

His 1 blatant dive this season against Reading, did anyone defend it? Or did everyone in the match thread criticise him for it?
    Then you have a stonewall penalty against Norwich turned down, one against Arsenal turned down, I could go on but you get my point I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

How can you not understand that the reason he doesn't get these decisions is because of the reputation he has brought on himself. There hasn't been a game this season where he hasn't been involved in some taking point. You can't blame refs for getting sick of his constant bull****

So that makes it ok for ref's to ignore the rules when it comes to a specific player?:rolleyes:

So that makes it ok for ref's to ignore the rules when it comes to a specific player?:rolleyes:

Refs are human. If they see a player screaming and crumbling at the slightest contact and constantly gesturing and mouthing off to them all game, do you not think they get fed up? He will continue to do all that when he has the fans and the manager defending his actions and crying about him not getting a fair deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

His northern Irish manager said this too. Scouse humour by a Uruguayan, in front of a Scottish manager.

Moyes also thought it was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nobody?
    That's a fairly definitive answer there Melion. So if someone did a search, like yesterday, there would be no posts defending Suarez diving?? Interesting...

Seriously though, there are plenty that can't see why he doesn't get free kicks when he probably should and try to make out he's not a <insert appropriate insult here> when everyone else has good reason to think he is.

And if you searched for posts on Thursday and Friday criticising him you'd get far, far more. You don't seem to notice those though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Melion wrote: »

His 1 blatant dive this season against Reading, did anyone defend it? Or did everyone in the match thread criticise him for it?
    Then you have a stonewall penalty against Norwich turned down, one against Arsenal turned down, I could go on but you get my point I'm sure.
    For a start, my original comment was nothing to do with boards.ie.
    This site isn't a representation of the average fan. I hear it all the time, I read about it. Management at Liverpool are forever whinging about it.

Poor Luis doesn't get the decisions. Poor Luis is a victim of a witch hunt.
    Maybe if he didn't throw himself around since he came to the league he might get more decisions.
    Maybe if he didn't get involved in a race row he might not be the victim of a witch hunt.
    Maybe if he didn't give the finger to Fulham fans while waiting to be punished for the racial incident, things like that don't help.
    Not shaking hands after telling his manager he would...the list goes on.

He can't help himself. He doesn't have the brain capacity to say "right I better not react here".
    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he went out next week and racially abused someone again. That's the way he is and that's why he gets the stick he does.

You know what I love the most in all of this. Between January 2011 and August 2012, Luis didn't have a single yellow card for diving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Refs are human. If they see a player screaming and crumbling at the slightest contact and constantly gesturing and mouthing off to them all game, do you not think they get fed up? He will continue to do all that when he has the fans and the manager defending his actions and crying about him not getting a fair deal

Ref's are not there to get 'fed up', ref's are there to enforce the rules of the game.
    They are not there to pass personal judgements on any specific player.

Maybe if referees did their job properly and enforced the rules in the same way with every team we mightn't have so much of a problem.

K-9 wrote: »

And if you searched for posts on Thursday and Friday criticising him you'd get far, far more. You don't seem to notice those though.
    I'm not talking about diving. Funny how that's the first thing that comes to mind though.

The subject was Suarez being a victim.
    Diving is only a part of that.

• Advertisement

Ref's are not there to get 'fed up', ref's are there to enforce the rules of the game.
    They are not there to pass personal judgements on any specific player.

Maybe if referees did their job properly and enforced the rules in the same way with every team we mightn't have so much of a problem.

Maybe if players like suarez went out on the pitch to play the game with a bit of dignity and respect and not try to con the ref whenever they could, then the ref's job would be easier and the decisons would be more clear cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Leftist wrote: »
    I think my choice of language was accurate.
    it's got nothing, absolutely nothing to do with anything other than football.

So, purely coincidental then? I hardly think so. enjoy the bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm not talking about diving. Funny how that's the first thing that comes to mind though.

The subject was Suarez being a victim.
    Diving is only a part of that.

Not sure what the subject is at this stage, seems to be a mixture of different things. As for the disallowed goal well that just a poor call, wasn't even a 50/50 that was understandable,

As for Suarez, he doesn't help himself. He's an annoying fecker but I don't get to worried about it, he's just the latest figure of hatred for opposition fans, Torres and Gerrard had it before.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

Not sure what the subject is at this stage, seems to be a mixture of different things. As for the disallowed goal well that just a poor call, wasn't even a 50/50 that was understandable,

As for Suarez, he doesn't help himself. He's an annoying fecker but I don't get to worried about it, he's just the latest figure of hatred for opposition fans, Torres and Gerrard had it before.
    Funnily enough, Torres never bothered me at all and I always had a little admiration for Gerrard. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

For a start, my original comment was nothing to do with boards.ie.
    This site isn't a representation of the average fan. I hear it all the time, I read about it. Management at Liverpool are forever whinging about it.

Poor Luis doesn't get the decisions. Poor Luis is a victim of a witch hunt.
    Maybe if he didn't throw himself around since he came to the league he might get more decisions.
    Maybe if he didn't get involved in a race row he might not be the victim of a witch hunt.
    Maybe if he didn't give the finger to Fulham fans while waiting to be punished for the racial incident, things like that don't help.
    Not shaking hands after telling his manager he would...the list goes on.

He can't help himself. He doesn't have the brain capacity to say "right I better not react here".
    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he went out next week and racially abused someone again. That's the way he is and that's why he gets the stick he does.

So are you saying its acceptable for refs to judge decisons on the past hisory of a player rather than call it is at is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

doc_17 wrote: »
    So, purely coincidental then? I hardly think so. enjoy the bubble.

what bubble, what is that even supposed to mean?

Always the victim has everything to do with how liverpool as a club and through successive managers constantly bemoan some pathetic conspiracy which prevents them from winning the league.

and nothing else. if some scumbags use it to stretch it out to hillsborough then that's their problem.

again we see the victim mentality with this thread. It's no wonder rafa was held in such esteem, he played the support like a fiddle, such a shame his little facts move completely backfired.

This sums it up exactly. Diving and theatrics are a stain on the game and it's great to see refs try to stamp it out. They won't get it right all the time but torres's red yesterday might make some players thing twice about making a meal out of slightest contact.

Yes but that slight contact stopped Torres in full flow, that slight contact meant he was no longer favourite to get the ball and utd gained an advantage for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but that slight contact stopped Torres in full flow, that slight contact meant he was no longer favourite to get the ball and utd gained an advantage for it.

Oh the slight contact that pushed Valencia to the floor at Anfield or that knocked Berba to the ground when Webb finally gave us a decision at OT in cup couple of seasons ago. That had Liverpool fans in meltdown.

Glad we have cleared things up about Contact.:D

when torres goes down under the slightest touch while in 'full flow' it's not a dive.

but when valencia goes down under a challenge from behind it's a dive?

• Advertisement

Oh the slight contact that pushed Valencia to the floor at Anfield or that knocked Berba to the ground when Webb finally gave us a decision at OT in cup couple of seasons ago. That had Liverpool fans in meltdown.

Glad we have cleared things up about Contact.:D

Yes they were both given as penaltys, would you have been aggreved if either of those players were sent off for diving in them challenges.

Yes they were both given as penaltys, would you have been aggreved if either of those players were sent off for diving in them challenges.

Yes and No.

Valencia Peno was penalty all day. Berba went down easy and if Webb made right call then Berba should been given Yellow and free out.

But by what you say the Berba incident should of been Peno. Nice see Pool fan though say it was Peno now. Fair play. Rather the CT about Webb and United that have no facts to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

This sums it up exactly. Diving and theatrics are a stain on the game and it's great to see refs try to stamp it out. They won't get it right all the time but torres's red yesterday might make some players thing twice about making a meal out of slightest contact.

I hope you had the same reaction when valencia went down at anfield leading to the game winning penalty,

Oh well you're right of course his reputation is crap but riddle me this why dont the english media report british player dives. Maybe if more attention was paid to young, bale and welbeck then suarez repuatation wouldn't seem so bad. Although he alone brought diving into english football so why should they.

Have you ever seen Ryan Giggs on a field? He lives in the refs ear and he constantly gets decisions by sliding on his knees and putting his arm up. I genuinely didnt know he was on the field until sky popped clattenburg on screen and there was giggs. I'd swear he's sent out to mark the ref.
    Maybe if players like suarez went out on the pitch to play the game with a bit of dignity and respect and not try to con the ref whenever they could, then the ref's job would be easier and the decisons would be more clear cut

but all yesterdays decisions were clear cut :confused: and wrong thats why everyone is complaining.

Finally why did I pick out all your posts and quote them. The term players like suarez pisses me off to no end. It implies he's the only player in england doing anything wrong

Yes and No.

Valencia Peno was penalty all day. Berba went down easy and if Webb made right call then Berba should been given Yellow and free out.

But by what you say the Berba incident should of been Peno. Nice see Pool fan though say it was Peno now. Fair play. Rather the CT about Webb and United that have no facts to back it up.

No what im saying is you can have contact and a player to fall without it being a free kick or pen or a yellow card.

No what im saying is you can have contact and a player to fall without it being a free kick or pen or a yellow card.

I agree.

Iang87 wrote: »
    I hope you had the same reaction when valencia went down at anfield leading to the game winning penalty,

Im sorry if you honestly dont think that was Penalty then you need to learn the rules of the game.

Its not even close.

• Advertisement

I agree.

What, hang on your a utd supporter your not allowed agree with me over anything.

What, hang on your a utd supporter your not allowed agree with me over anything.

In fairness to you you make some good points, but I just need guide you along from time to time;);)

Im sorry if you honestly dont think that was Penalty then you need to learn the rules of the game.

Its not even close.

Theres a slight touch, a similar slight touch at the other end that wasn't given though.

My point was about going down easy not whether it was or not

So are you saying its acceptable for refs to judge decisons on the past hisory of a player rather than call it is at is.
    They're not robots man, it's human nature.
    The boy who cried wolf and all that.

You do realise that means every ref should be sacked because they cant be impartial when making a decision

• Advertisement

Yes i agree, its human nature, so if you think they could be influenced by things suarez has done do you think they might also be influenced by something a manger might say or do in the past or who he is, or does it only work one way.

Yes i agree, its human nature, so if you think they could be influenced by things suarez has done do you think they might also be influenced by something a manger might say or do in the past or who he is, or does it only work one way.
    Yea, not too the extent of what you're getting at though.
    What manager doesn't moan about refereeing decisions?

You do realise that means every ref should be sacked because they cant be impartial when making a decision
    No it doesn't. Silly argument.

:D

ronaldo and nani have had it for years, RVN too. And young.

players who dive get a reputation. Might aswel face it, suarez is a disgusting cheat, he makes his own bed. Stop trying to blame some conspiracy.

maybe if rodgers (and dalglish and fat rafa before him) didn't moan about refs before every game they might do themselves a favour.

every week rodgers is out trying to tell the media that maybe the ref will give them a decision. If ferguson or di matteo did that it would be 'influencing' the referees.

Yea, not too the extent of what you're getting at though.
    What manager doesn't moan about refereeing decisions?

Interesting..........

Interesting..........
    Not really. There's managers in the news every week giving out about referees.
    They don't just ignore them all except for Fergie.
    There's no conspiracy.

:D

ronaldo and nani have had it for years, RVN too. And young.

players who dive get a reputation. Might aswel face it, suarez is a disgusting cheat, he makes his own bed. Stop trying to blame some conspiracy.

maybe if rodgers (and dalglish and fat rafa before him) didn't moan about refs before every game they might do themselves a favour.

every week rodgers is out trying to tell the media that maybe the ref will give them a decision. If ferguson or di matteo did that it would be 'influencing' the referees.

Ya all those players still get decisions. Suarez doesn't thats why it bothers us so much.

"Fat Rafa" what are you 12.

Not really. There's managers in the news every week giving out about referees.
    They don't just ignore them all except for Fergie.
    There's no conspiracy.

I never mentioned Ferguson at all.

Ya all those players still get decisions. Suarez doesn't thats why it bothers us so much.

"Fat Rafa" what are you 12.

He should have been sent off for his "tackle" yesterday, i'd call that getting a decision.

christ he stood on the mans foot. It was a yellow card, not a stamp.

There must be 4 or 5 of those every game

• Advertisement

I never mentioned Ferguson at all.
    I'm psychic ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Laois_Man wrote: »
    YES!! As can be seen from my attachment. What the hell was Jagielka supposed to do here? Plus, Suarez shouldn't have still been on the pitch in the first place. Plus the free kick that the ball was delivered from in the first place was dodgy as ****!

That's just another sign of ref incompetency. They got the Coates foul wrong and the offside wrong in that sequence of play. Justice done in the end but another example of poor officiating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Theres a differance between mistakingly standing on a players foot to what Suarez did . . It was blatantly obvious that he was intending to get the back of the leg of the player. Unless of course Alan Hansen is part of the ridiculous conspiracy supposedly against the player.

Some pundits say he should have walked for it, some say it was accidental.
    I'm unsure myself. How can you be so definitive?

Doesn't have to be a stamp to be deliberate.

oh is that right? those players get all the decisions? do you watch united? you obviously don't.

They get some and then when referees cop on to their act, they don't.

it happens everywhere, for everyone.

ironic you are suggesting I am immature when you are claiming there is a conspiracy to stop liverpool :D

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    That's just another sign of ref incompetency. They got the Coates foul wrong and the offside wrong in that sequence of play. Justice done in the end but another example of poor officiating

What coates is not a foul, Torres did the exact same thing with a header in the first half and no one mentioned it.

oh is that right? those players get all the decisions? do you watch united? you obviously don't.

They get some and then when referees cop on to their act, they don't.

it happens everywhere, for everyone.

ironic you are suggesting I am immature when you are claiming there is a conspiracy to stop liverpool :D

no Stop there. I didnt say there was a conspiracy. ok compare two incidents this year and then stop commenting.

Suarez v norwich, welbeck v wigan

to be honest no1 thought nothing of it at the time either it was just a foul. He did stand on his foot but to call that a red is ridiculous.

He didnt jump in, there was no excessive force and there didnt look to be intent to hurt him. He stood on his foot

How about you don't let pundits influence your decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

to be honest no1 thought nothing of it at the time either it was just a foul. He did stand on his foot but to call that a red is ridiculous.

He didnt jump in, there was no excessive force and there didnt look to be intent to hurt him. He stood on his foot

Seriously ? You thought it was a mistaken standing on his foot ? Thats like saying cantona slipped into the stands and accidentaly Kung fu kicked a fan at selhurst park in 1995.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement