Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English refereeing's darkest day?

Comments

It was a pen and Wilshere had to go.

Wenger just taking the heat of the performance which was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Maybe stop giving them away...

Stonewall penalty IMHO

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

amiable wrote: »
    Stonewall penalty IMHO

Just like the one in the City game?

Nah thought not. Pathetic.

DB10 wrote: »

It was a pen ffs. When the ball was struck his hands were by his side and then he lifted them. They'll always be given.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It was a pen ffs. When the ball was struck his hands were by his side and then he lifted them. They'll always be given.

But City weren't given theirs?

And now United have two points on them because of more poor refereeing. Its one rule for one team and one for another.

I didn't see much of the City game so I don't know what you are talking about.

What I did see is a definite penalty at Old Trafford today and I don't need to see a dodgy decision anywhere else to decide differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ffs. West Ham scored a perfectly good goal and it was ruled out.
    Gareth Barry handled a ball running into the box and only for he was shìt and missed from 3 yards it would have been given.

Referees miss things every game. You're picking out something to suit your argument and ignoring the 2 other decisions. Pathetic.

Course you didn't see it. You looked the other way and pretended not to. Just like the referee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

But City weren't given theirs?

And now United have two points on them because of more poor refereeing. Its one rule for one team and one for another.

Please stop. Please just stop. You have had some long day wrecking everyone's head.
    Stop being so narky.

Learn the rules. Read the law that deals with handball.

And if you are too lazy, Even everyone's favourite pundit g.Neville said that when a player puts his hands above their elbows, then a ref doesnt have much of a choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Course you didn't see it. You looked the other way and pretended not to. Just like the referee.

Im calling troll. No way can you be for real!

• Advertisement

What the fcuk are you talking about?

I only watched the City game in parts.

inmyday wrote: »
    Please stop. Please just stop. You have had some long day wrecking everyone's head.
    Stop being so narky.

Learn the rules. Read the law that deals with handball.

And if you are too lazy, Even everyone's favourite pundit g.Neville said that when a player puts his hands above their elbows, then a ref doesnt have much of a choice.

Gary Neville thinks Man United deserved a dodgey penalty against Arsenal. So neutral. Well thats me sold then.....:rolleyes:

Gary Neville thinks Man United deserved a dodgey penalty against Arsenal. So neutral. Well thats me sold then.....:rolleyes:

The irony

I don't think you're for real DB10 from reading your posts from the past year.

I hope you're not tbh :o

I don't think you're for real DB10 from reading your posts from the past year.

I hope you're not tbh :o
    Special Brew would be my guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

amiable wrote: »
    Special Brew would be my guess

If he's been on the Special Brew since the United game earlier I'm impressed he can still type tbh

220px-Photo_of_an_empty_bottle_of_Buckfast_Tonic_Wine.JPG

Anyone else see this handball in the City game that DB10 is banging on about??

I couldn't remember it from the match and there's been no mention of it on MOTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

In fairness I thought United got the rub of the green yet again with the referees today. Not suggesting anything, just saying yet again this season United have been helped by a favourable refereeing performance.

At least they deserved it this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Anyone else see this handball in the City game that DB10 is banging on about??

I couldn't remember it from the match and there's been no mention of it on MOTD.

He's talking about the one where Balotelli crossed left footed from the byline and it hit Collins. He turned his body, his arm was tucked in and it hit his elbow / side.

And it was correctly not given.

DB10 has played a blinder over the past 24 hours though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

DB10 is on a short break from the forum. Everyone please move on.

Xavi6 wrote: »

He's talking about the one where Balotelli crossed left footed from the byline and it hit Collins. He turned his body, his arm was tucked in and it hit his elbow / side.

And it was correctly not given.

DB10 has played a blinder over the past 24 hours though.
    Ah yea, remember it now. Almost identical to Cazorlas :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Morzadec wrote: »
    In fairness I thought United got the rub of the green yet again with the referees today. Not suggesting anything, just saying yet again this season United have been helped by a favourable refereeing performance.

At least they deserved it this time

rub of the green? how is the ref doing his job, the "rub of the green". Mike Dean got his two main decisions spot on, i dont think there can be any complaints about them.

rub of the green? how is the ref doing his job, the "rub of the green". Mike Dean got his two main decisions spot on, i dont think there can be any complaints about them.

I'm referring to 3 key decisions that all went United's way. I'm not saying he was outright wrong, but that they all went United's way when they could have gone Arsenal's.

1) The penalty - I personally thought it was very harsh when you read the rules as to what constitutes a handball - it has to be deliberate and Cazorla is very close to the ball, turning his back with little time to react. However, I think I might be in the minority in my strict interpretation of this rule and hating seeing penalties given for it. Personally I would not give a penalty here. But the truth is sometimes refs do give penalties for incidents like this, but often they don't. This borderline decision went United's way.

2) Cleverley's tackle from behind around the hour mark - not sure exactly when this happened but think it was about 60 mins. Arsenal in attacking possession and Cleverly comes in from behind and takes the man. In most referee's book that's a yellow card (which would have been a second for him), but the cards stayed in the pocket. At 11 vs 10 with half an hour left this really could have changed the game. Now I can see why he didn't give it - it wasn't dangerous, I think Cleverly made an honest attempt to play the ball and it wasn't that type of cynical foul where you're trying to take the player out, and also the Premier League's tend to be quite lenient (any other league and there absolutely no doubt that Cleverly is off). But really it was at best a 50-50 call, and Cleverly often walks in that situation. So again the rub of the green to United here.

3) Whilshere's red - again I'm not going to outright call this wrong. I can see why he gave it as Whilshere's studs racked the standing leg and it could be interpreted as dangerous. However I thought that Wilshere was unlucky as he over ran the ball and made what looked like an honest attempt to play the ball. If the ref is going to be lenient he might let Wilshere off here. I understand why the ref has given the yellow, but it's maybe a little harsh especially given the earlier incident where he let Cleverley off the hook.

Now you'll notice I'm not out and out calling any of these decisions wrong. But they are all borderline calls and they all go United's way.

This is what I mean by rub of the green. It's not as clear-cut wrong as some of the decisions given United's way in other matches, but if all these 50-50 decisions in a match go your way it's a huge huge help.

In 3 key decisions which could have been interpreted one way or another yesterday they all went United's way, so I would stand by what I said that they got the rub of the green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

1) Stone wall penalty
    2) In fairness he gave Wilshere and Cleverley a second chance to stay on the pitch. Wilshere could of gone and so could have Cleverley. However, Ferguson took Cleverley off and Wenger left Wilshere on.
    3) That's nothing but nonsense. He deserved to be sent off and he was making stupid tackles constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The 2nd point above is just typical of the way people think and their clear bias in this situation.

Anyone who watched the game could see that the ref let Wilshere off. It was only right then that the same was doen for Clev - the ref here was consistent. However, all thats remembered is the Clev incident and its used against United to suggest favouritism.

Oh, and the other 2 points are also total bollocks. The ref made the right call in all 3. Was a clear penalty and he had given Wilshere a chance in a prior incident, which you have conveniently left out.

Fair enough I didn't notice that Wilshere had been fouling repeatedly (was watching it in the pub so was not 100% focussed on every detail of the game), and like I said before I can see why he got the red. But imo Cleverley probably should go with his tackle from behind and is quite lucky would you not agree? Again I can see Mike Riley's reasoning here, but I wouldn't be happy if I were Wenger.

Like I said, for me, I hate seeing pens given for ball to hand incidents (but that's probably just me), but you do see them given. All I'm saying is sometimes you don't. The ref found in favour of United where another he might have gone the other way - you must admit that you've seen incidents like Cazorla's overlooked as accidental by the ref? United would feel aggrieved if it wasn't given, but likewise I can understand Cazorla's and Wenger's frustration because it doesn't look deliberate to me.

That's all I'm saying - you know it's your day when those type of decisions go your way. It's not that the decisions are wrong, just that they can be interpreted differently and it's great when the ref interprets it in favour of your side. I know you lads probably won't agree with me so I'll leave it there. If Wilshere was repeatedly fouling then I'll take back that point, would deserve to go if he was already on thin ice before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Wilshire makes a tackle while on a yellow and gets told by Dean that he'll be sent off if it happens again. 60 seconds later, Cleverley makes a tackle while on a yellow and he is given the same treatment from Dean. This is a non-issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Fair enough I didn't notice that Wilshere had been fouling repeatedly (was watching it in the pub so was not 100% focussed on every detail of the game) and like I said before I can see why he got the red.

not that im picking on you but here is another issue. people deciding they want an opinion but without the full picture. I know loads of people who dont watch the match and either see highlights or worse still read the news afterwards and decide United get everything.

But imo Cleverley probably should go with his tackle from behind and is quite lucky would you not agree? Again I can see Mike Riley's reasoning here, but I wouldn't be happy if I were Wenger.

As an isolated incident yeah i can see him walking. Refs are given **** though at the fact they arent consistent. He applied the exact same logic he did a minute before for Wilshere. The ref should be applauded for this as he is being consistent while at the same time not trying to ruin the game.
    Like I said, for me, I hate seeing pens given for ball to hand incidents (but that's probably just me), but you do see them given. All I'm saying is sometimes you don't. The ref found in favour of United where another he might have gone the other way - you must admit that you've seen incidents like Cazorla's overlooked as accidental by the ref? United would feel aggrieved if it wasn't given, but likewise I can understand Cazorla's and Wenger's frustration because it doesn't look deliberate to me.

The bit in bold - he didnt 'find in favour of United' - he simply made the right decision. Again, we should applaud the ref here, nothing else.
    That's all I'm saying - you know it's your day when those type of decisions go your way. It's not that the decisions are wrong, just that they can be interpreted differently and it's great when the ref interprets it in favour of your side. I know you lads probably won't agree with me so I'll leave it there. If Wilshere was repeatedly fouling then I'll take back that point, would deserve to go if he was already on thin ice before that.

I dont agree at all that it 'was our day'. The ref got all the decisions spot on. This is not someones day but simply the referee getting it right.

Wilshire makes a tackle while on a yellow and gets told by Dean that he'll be sent off if it happens again. 60 seconds later, Cleverley makes a tackle while on a yellow and he is given the same treatment from Dean. This is a non-issue.

its not a non issue, its just further evidence of anti united bitterness and bias on here that just ebbs and flows everytime a questionable decision goes for united.

people on here are amongest the biggest hypocrites ive seen, not a word said when decisions go against United, which there are many each year and alot of them are very costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

its not a non issue, its just further evidence of anti united bitterness and bias on here that just ebbs and flows everytime a questionable decision goes for united.

people on here are amongest the biggest hypocrites ive seen, not a word said when decisions go against United, which there are many each year and alot of them are very costly.

Its actually getting really funny at this stage.

But if it makes them feel happy in their lives.

Its actually getting really funny at this stage.

But if it makes them feel happy in their lives.

We'd have had another 10 or 11 pages added to this thread, 4 new threads open and almighty anarchy had we got that peno in the 95th minute like chelsea did on wednesday.

not many people were on about that match on thursday was there?

We'd have had another 10 or 11 pages added to this thread, 4 new threads open and almighty anarchy had we got that peno in the 95th minute like chelsea did on wednesday.

not many people were on about that match on thursday was there?

True. Just get used to it now.

Its pity that so many decisions go for and against teams each week in PL, but they go a miss except the United ones.

surprise surprise....Officials make a huge gaff against United on Saturday and not one post about it. other way around, we'd have another 11 pages and 400+ posts in outrage, which just prooves that this forum is based on hypocrisy when it comes to officials decisions involving United.

along with the fact that Readings second goal came from the second phase of an attack where the ref gave a free for a dive, surely there should be multiple people outraged about the performance on Saturday?

not a word either about the multiple soft penalties that City are getting this year, with Saturdays being the worst penalty given this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

surprise surprise....Officials make a huge gaff against United on Saturday and not one post about it. other way around, we'd have another 11 pages and 400+ posts in outrage, which just prooves that this forum is based on hypocrisy when it comes to officials decisions involving United.

along with the fact that Readings second goal came from the second phase of an attack where the ref gave a free for a dive, surely there should be multiple people outraged about the performance on Saturday?

not a word either about the multiple soft penalties that City are getting this year, with Saturdays being the worst penalty given this year.

Had Utd dropped points due to it I imagine people (Utd Fans) would be complaining about it.

When it doesn't cost your team I dont see the point making a fuss about it TBH, mistakes by officials happen in the game alot.

RVP's gaol that wasnt given happened so fast and the shot was hit so powerfully it was hard to see, if the asistant wasn't sure he couldn't give it, had we hawkeye technology it would have stood, no question.

Some Utd fans think it's a conspiracy against them.

Some non Utd fans think Utd get all the decisions.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, ie, no conspiracys.

You are giving out about people moaning and then ironically you come on to bítch and moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ares wrote: »
    Does David Gill's position within the FA make for a conflict of interest?

I think Fergie should replace him tbh. He was rubbish this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

How is the ref supposed to decide on RVPs goal, or the Hernandez or Suarez goals mentioned in the OP. Referees are doing fine - effort must be put into improving the judgement and abilities of linesmen.

I know many linesmen are referees some days and vice versa, but personally I think referees do ok given the jobs they have to do and the pressure they come under.

You are giving out about people moaning and then ironically you come on to bítch and moan.

no, i am giving out about Hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Everton fans are just accepting that the standard of referees is terrible.

• Advertisement

Some Utd fans think it's a conspiracy against them.

No they dont. Where you getting that?

We are just sick(although its funny in many ways) of listening to some of the crazy stuff being posted whenever United get free kick nevermind a penalty or something big.

no, i am giving out about Hypocrisy.

Football is riddled with hypocrisy, from mangers to fans to posters on forums.

Utd don't get more or less decisions than any other team, I'm sure some stats would back this up.

There are consistantly poor descisions for all teams.

Football is riddled with hypocrisy, from mangers to fans to posters on forums.

Utd don't get more or less decisions than any other team, I'm sure some stats would back this up.

If I could thank twice.

exactly and thats my point. United have a decision for them = this place for example implodes. the decision is shown over and over again on bbc, sky and any other analysis show. SSN run hours and hours of coverage on it.

however when a decision goes against United, there aint a peep.

exactly and thats my point. United have a decision for them = this place for example implodes. the decision is shown over and over again on bbc, sky and any other analysis show. SSN run hours and hours of coverage on it.

however when a decision goes against United, there aint a peep.

They do the same on diving against Suarez (for example), yet when an a British player does it, it's glossed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You've got RVP - you don't expect to get favourable refereeing decisions as well do you ?

Not to mention the fact that your club is probably the 2nd most supported on boards so you've got enough members of your own to make a fuss - don't expect other teams to do it on your behalf if you can't be bothered yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

greendom wrote: »

You've got RVP - you don't expect to get favourable refereeing decisions as well do you ?

Not to mention the fact that your club is probably the 2nd most supported on boards so you've got enough members of your own to make a fuss - don't expect other teams to do it on your behalf if you can't be bothered yourselves.

Your just after proving his point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭abff

Players make mistakes, referees do too! It's frustrating when a referee's mistake costs your team a result, but sh*t happens. It's not the end of the world (it just feels that way, sometimes).

Having said that, there is absolutely no excuse for not making use of the technology that is available to help officials make close calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Terrible decision at 2-0 today.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

it just gets worse and worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement