Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM Solutions

Options
  • 28-10-2012 7:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

I bought an iPhone from eBay and it's locked to Pelephone (an Israeli network). Going to go and get a factory unlock from GSM solutions on Camden Street (125 Euro). Anyone gone to GSM solutions before?, if so how was it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

Gsm solutions are on abbey street now. Complete pirates by the way. Search this site for more info. They have a reputation for bad repairs etc. I remember them brazenly advertising the first ipad, non 3g, 16gb version, for 750 euro excluding delivery on their site phone volts. ie. They were Claiming to be the first shop in Dublin to stock them. Then they added at the bottom in small writing, that delivery would take 2 weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 samsamsam

Thanks badabing106 for the info. Yeah your right they are on Abbey street - forgot that! Went in today to get my phone unlocked gonna cost 125 euro and take up to 5 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

Did you pay them or give them your phone ? They are substantially ripping you off. All they are doing is giving your imei number to another online unlocking web site and charging you an extortionate amount extra

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 samsamsam

Hi - i gave them the phone yesterday. I havent payed yet - they have a "no fix-no fee" agreement. I asked them why it costs so much and was told that they have to send it away and therefore only make very little profit out of the whole thing (dont know if this is bull**** or not!). On their site it says they have student discounts so as a student i asked them and they told me they could not give a discount! Very pissed off! In the end it seems like the only way to unlock the phone, although when i asked the guy told me he was 90% sure that i could be unlocked. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Can anyone recommend a place to repair the board in my iphone 3gs please???

Phoned GSM and it's 65EUR but judging on the bad press i won't be dropping it in here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Why, in God's name, would you buy a locked Israeli iPhone?? off eBay?? AND not know how to get it unlocked beforehand?? and have to pay €125 for the privilege??

Are you nuts???

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

I do not recommend this place at all.

My iPhone fell and the screen popped out. I popped it back in, normally works then, but nothing was coming up on the screen. I put it in my speakers and it was playing music no bother, only the screen wasn't working. I had a feeling all that needed to be done was that the screen had to be taken out and put back in again because it mustn't have connected right.

So I went into GSM Solutions, they claimed that the screen and the digitaliser must have been broke. I was weary about this, but handed it in to get checked out (no fix no fee policy). They rang me up saying the motherboard was broken and needed to be repaired under machine and that it would take 10 days to do and cost €115. I explained to the guy that the motherboard was working when I handed it in because music was playing. He was quite patronising on the phone saying "Hmm... Yes... Well it's broken I'm telling you...". So I said I'd take it back, without getting it fixed or paying.

I got it back. It was fully functioning. It turned on, screen was working (I knew all that had to be done was that it needed to be reconnected). Fully functioning.

They tried to screw me over. They're crooks. Their "no ask questions" policy also allows the thieves to unlock the phones and re-sell them. They're part of the problem.

THEY WILL OVER-CHARGE YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Gsm solutions are on abbey street now. Complete pirates by the way. Search this site for more info. They have a reputation for bad repairs etc. I remember them brazenly advertising the first ipad, non 3g, 16gb version, for 750 euro excluding delivery on their site phone volts. ie. They were Claiming to be the first shop in Dublin to stock them. Then they added at the bottom in small writing, that delivery would take 2 weeks[/Quote)
    hi,
    Know i'm a little late to the party, but i got a broken screen fixed on an ipod 4th gen that i had, just so my boyfriend could try it out, we both use the built in screen reader on ipod and me on my iphone, he said he wanted to try iPod touch so got screen fixed at GSM solutions, and not a bother, and the ipod feels, and am sure looks, brand new, so people told me anyway.
    Know this prob isn't much help now but just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Zerg

JEmily wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a place to repair the board in my iphone 3gs please???

Phoned GSM and it's 65EUR but judging on the bad press i won't be dropping it in here now.

Try these guys, ring them and they give your quote over the phone.
    AppleFix Dublin They fix my 3GS and 3G before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I am not sure if you can get a factory unlock with Pelephone it's not listed here
    http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/?aff=olariu which is where GSM solutions would go to unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

I had a broken power on button on my ipod and I made the mistake of going to this place !!.They told me it was fixed for 75 euro, gave me back my ipod , took my money .When I went home to try and charge my ipod...nothing...ipod was completely dead ! Fired!

Contacted Gsm Solutions ie again and they told me their "engineers" would have a look at it again , and that they were sending it to" England". 3 Months later they gave me back my ipod.. I checked the ipod over and realised that they had "unfixed " the power button to the original state in which I had handed the ipod over !!! , and smugly told me that the device was "uneconomical to repair". I was completely stunned by such such blatant lies and dodgy behaviour by a company!

I was dealing with the guy that runs this shop. I have never ever encountered such dodgy and scummy practices in my entire life. Below were my two initial threads I made about this place , seeking advice

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055198564

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54785787

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I cannot urge you enough to walk away from these crooks. I'm always very far when dealing with business's and like to see them in the best light as most are trying to make an honest living. These guys however lie and cheat their way, and as said I believe they are part of the huge phone theft racket on Abbey / Gardener St. Any unlock shop should have to report their IMEI's and models if they are above board.

They ripped me off twice. Once unknowingly with a SIM reader which was completely mis-sold. And secondly attempted to charge me €250 for a white replacement cover for an iPhone 3GS (i.e. Front and Back housing) A great shop in Bray quoted me at most €100. GSM are out to screw customers and its a shame they are still in business.

On a side note, be wary of buying Israeli phones. The last phone I got off eBay (Completely unknown to me) was ex-Israeli defence forces and set to Afghan time. Struck me as really suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

If its any use to anyone needing an iPhone repair, I had a home button replacement done in the Nokia Care Centre in Navan this week. Cost was very reasonable and was done in less than an hour! At least you k ow its a reputable shop seeing as they are officially linked to Nokia. Definitely an option if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

Terrible company . A littany of complaints about them on google as well . The manager/ owner of Gsm Solutions .ie asked for my number when I made the mistake of visting this place once (returning a faulty battery) . I then began getting unsolicited text messages , from gsm solutions , which was costing me 30 cent per text . It was really cunning and shameful business practices in my opinion . I had to make a complaint to regtel to get them to stop !

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

http://www.chronicunlocks.com/

Best Unlocking site for iPhones

Youll thank me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    http://www.chronicunlocks.com/

Best Unlocking site for iPhones

Youll thank me :D

its chronic alrite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

not a comment but its Ironic when I read the posts, I see these adverts

ScreenShot2014-02-17at211143_zps45a444d0.png

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 swordsy

Shattered my Galaxy S3 screen, GSM quoted me €190 to replace it.

Got it done for €70 in CRU PC Phone store on Abbey Street, lovely job, practically better than new.

Bottom line, it pays to shop around!

swordsy wrote: »

Got it done for €70 in CRU PC Phone store on Abbey Street, lovely job, practically better than new.

They quoted me something ludicrous like €300 to replace the front and back of an iPhone 3GS years ago. So literally a cosmetic change, no screen or anything. Great shop in Bray did it for €120 or thereabouts.

Also lied to myself about a sim card readers capabilities when I was undertaking a research project and needed a specific type of reader rather quickly.

Never heard a good word about them and frankly always been a pain to deal with. Avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 RoryH

I was considering these guys for my business recently... thank you boards.ie for the heads up.

RoryH wrote: »
    I was considering these guys for my business recently... thank you boards.ie for the heads up.

Absolute cowboys, and I based that on three separate occasions as I like to give a company a good chance before forming an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

swordsy wrote: »

Tbh, it just sounds like it pays not to shop at GSM Solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eduff15

Signed up to boards to specifically warn people away from GSM Solutions. I've just had a dreadful experience with them. They are rip-off merchants and I've made a complaint about them on Consumer.ie.

I bought a charger for a mac from them for €59.95. On the last day of the (ridiculously short) 3 month guarantee I emailed to say that it was malfunctioning. I then heard about the 3 month guarantee, and was relieved that I was just within it, on the very last day.

Due to this, I presumed I'd get a replacement or repaired charger. But oh no. After wasting a day driving to Dublin and back to drop it into them I get a call a day later. Blown fuse which they'll repair for 30 euros....

So basically: sell a crappy product that is bound to break just out of guarantee, then try to diddle even more money out of the customer instead of replacing the no longer working product. What normal company behaves like this? None.

I've never encountered anything like the dull, vacant attitude of staff in person. I expected the normal "terribly sorry" response "we'll do our best to help you" and so on, but they don't give a damn.

Obviously they think they have enough customers to seriously p**s off their existing ones by screwing them financially. I lost a job due to the charger breaking, I also lost days of work on other jobs. I then paid money for petrol and parking to drive down to them. I contacted them within the guarantee period and after all that I'm down hundreds of euros and have no functioning charger.

I really hope word gets around to avoid this lot so that they go out of business. They really shouldn't be operating solely through screwing their customers over.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

I brought a Macbook in here recently to get a price on the a backlight repair. The first girl who 'looked after me' could not have been less interested or unhelpful. She couldn't answer a single question I asked and all I got was a constant 'Dunno' and a shrug of the shoulders. The alarm bells should have rang then.

I left the laptop with them so they could send it away to be checked and give me a cost for the repair. I got a call to say that not only did the backlight need replacing but also a keyboard, motherboard and touch pad. The laptop runs perfectly when connected to an external screen so I know for a fact that nothing else needed fixing.

Obviously I decided not to go ahead with all of that and collected the macbook the next day. When I went to the store a different staff member had the exact same attitude as the first girl who had served me a week previous. When he handed over the laptop I just said to him that "I just want to check while I'm here that the mouse pad and keyboard are still working as I was told they needed repairing and they worked fine before I left them in." I switched it on and both were still working and the guy behind the counter snapped at me "THEY ARE BROKEN...JESUS!"

I work in retail and if any of us spoke to a customer like that we would be thrown out on our arses!

Very glad I didn't go ahead with the repairs. I will avoid this place and actively advise family and friends to avoid it, especially after seeing I am not the only person who has had issues with this place.

Advertisement