Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell pays only 1.5million in tax

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

People seem to confuse revenue with profit. You pay corporation tax on profits not revenues.

Revenue $100m
    Cost of Sales $90m
    Profit $10m
    Tax @ 12.5% = $1.25m

How much revenue does Dell actually have in Ireland in terms of sales to end customers in Ireland - I doubt it is significantly above $100m.

The rest is transfer pricing in's and outs. Try charging a higher tax rate on that and it will disappear faster than snow in springtime. Any tax revenue Ireland earns as a result of transfer pricing recharging is a bonus nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres 2 ways of looking at this

A - its taxes lost to Ireland that dell can be extremely creative and manage to reduce their profits so much thanks to Ireland allowing such creative accounting
    B - its taxes lost to Europe in general that Ireland being the weak link in the chain allows multinationals to just make up what taxes they want to pay in Europe (i.e. Ireland)

In general the second point is probably something that Ireland will eventually have to concede on to get agreement from Germany for the bailout, as to be honest the corporation tax rate that everyone focuses on is a complete red herring.
    If Dell pay 10% or 40% or 70% on a fraction of what their profit would be calculated to be in a different jurisdiction - the big determining factor in what they pay is what they are allowed to declare as profits over what the actual tax rate on profits is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Dell employ thousands in Ireland, thousands more are have jobs in the surrounding area to their campus. Dell pay RSI to the govt for their staff, their staff pay taxes, their staff's salaries circulate in their economy.

i'd quite happily see another 100 companies like dell in ireland paying zilch in corporation tax if it mean each employed hundreds of people.

i know a family who run a B&B near Dell, both parents have worked full time in this and 99% of their revenue has come from renting rooms out to Dell staff for the last 15 years. I'm sure there are many stories like this in the areas surrounding large employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

bamboozle wrote: »
    Dell employ thousands in Ireland, thousands more are have jobs in the surrounding area to their campus. Dell pay RSI to the govt for their staff, their staff pay taxes, their staff's salaries circulate in their economy.

i'd quite happily see another 100 companies like dell in ireland paying zilch in corporation tax if it mean each employed hundreds of people.

i know a family who run a B&B near Dell, both parents have worked full time in this and 99% of their revenue has come from renting rooms out to Dell staff for the last 15 years. I'm sure there are many stories like this in the areas surrounding large employers.

100% agree. We would be close to a third world country without them.

Private health, generous pension contribution, free third level programmes for employees.
    Huge local authority rates, insurance, massive energy bills, water and waste charges.
    Massive use of contractors, hotel and conference facilities and they give huge business to Irish suppliers.

Most also make large donations to charities, sports clubs and community groups.

Mess with them at our peril.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

A lot of that is due to EDS.

Advertisement