Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Lodge Complaint Against Mark Clattenberg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Predalien wrote: »
    Do you really believe this? I don't see how a referee can continue with an accusation like this made against him, whatever the outcome there will now always be a question mark, that's something that could make his job impossible. Not to mention the typical collective idiocy of football fans which will result in chants and abuse that will overshadow games he officates in.

Meh, they'd get over it eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Chanting abuse at a ref....game is going to the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"The referee's a wanker"

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

markesmith wrote: »
    Let me take this one:
    - Ashley Cole

- Drogba's diving and general buffoonery in a Chelsea shirt- Didnt know Drogba was the only player to ever dive

- Chelski and the managerial roundabout- Why should this concern anyone other than a Chelsea fan

- Rumours of Abramovich literally picking the team

- Longstanding associations with far-right groups- Bull****

- Death threats being a weapon of choice

- Tom Henning Øvrebø incident- So called fans sent him death threats not the club

- Booed and sang songs through the minute's silence for Hillsborough last season- Again some so called fans doing this, wouldnt be the only ones either.

Ive answered the questions even worth answering, nit picking springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Chanting abuse at a ref....game is going to the dogs.

It won't be just normal abuse, it'll be a story for the media. Racism is headline news for the foreseeable future, I'm sure the FA are sick of the game being dragged through the mud and want the story to go away.

• Advertisement

It won't be just normal abuse, it'll be a story for the media. Racism is headline news for the foreseeable future, I'm sure the FA are sick of the game being dragged through the mud and want the story to go away.

The media will report about it for his first game back, then it will go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The media will report about it for his first game back, then it will go away.

Agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Des wrote: »
    "The referee's a wanker"

:eek:

I'd actually be shocked if the United fans didn't start singing 'The referee's a racist' when a decision goes against United tonight. As a stab at chelsea and their first against racism rather than an actual accusation that the ref is racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Caveman1 wrote: »

BS on the right wing groups? So Combat 18 aren't a familiar 'firm' of Chelsea's then?

Also, why are they 'so called' fans? Just cause you don't like what they have done they are not fans of the club? They are dicks, but they are also fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I'm fully expecting Man United to make 12 changes tonight from their team on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Probably 13 changes as they used 2 subs on Sunday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2966231/title/chelsea-statement

Latest from Chelsea. Formal complaint made to the FA in relation to the Mikel incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Chelsea made the official complaint to the FA, the Mikel one, they dropped the Mata one. I find it hard to believe a ref called him a monkey. I reckon it was a misunderstanding, Mikel misheard him.
    Do you really believe this? I don't see how a referee can continue with an accusation like this made against him, whatever the outcome there will now always be a question mark, that's something that could make his job impossible. Not to mention the typical collective idiocy of football fans which will result in chants and abuse that will overshadow games he officates in.

Ah come on! If it turns out it was a misunderstanding, or he never said anything at all, his career is over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Cienciano wrote: »

Ah come on! If it turns out it was a misunderstanding, or he never said anything at all, his career is over?

I believe the accusation of an official using a racist remark to be so serious that his credibility will be forever in question. Even if he is cleared it is likely that will be due to a lack of evidence, he will never be able to fully clear his name in some peoples eyes if it comes down to his word against that of the Chelsea players. Unless the accusers retract the accusation I don't think it will be possible for him to continue, I'd also wonder if he'd want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The more that comes out the more ridiculous this seems, Mata complaint dropped. Just take the loss on the chin and move on Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nobody will believe the Chelsea players

RasTa wrote: »
    Nobody will believe the Chelsea players

Considering the club are going ahead with the complaint that's obviously not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Considering the club are going ahead with the complaint that's obviously not true.

Club are foolish, Mikel didn't even hear this comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

RasTa wrote: »
    Club are foolish, Mikel didn't even hear this comment?

Two other players said they did though.

Nobody will believe them, but if they do they are foolish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Two other players said they did though.

Isn't that Hearsay ?

No way that would stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

blobby360 wrote: »
    Isn't that Hearsay ?

No way that would stand up.

lol, it's not a court of law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

lol, it's not a court of law.

Your not a court of law !!!!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

amiable wrote: »
    I'm fully expecting Man United to make 12 changes tonight from their team on Sunday

Chelsea will be making 9 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

noodler wrote: »
    They should make like the WWE and make Clattenberg a special guest referee for the rematch tonight.

Quality..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

How is it obviously not true?? Nobody will believe the Chelsea players. How does Chelsea FC going ahead with the complaint make that obviously not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

How is it obviously not true?? Nobody will believe the Chelsea players. How does Chelsea FC going ahead with the complaint make that obviously not true?
    Genuine question. Why do you believe nobody will believe the Chelsea players?

Caveman1 wrote: »

Nit-picking?

Let's just deal with the right-wing assocaition:
    here
    here
    here

Based on a cursory Google search.

amiable wrote: »
    Genuine question. Why do you believe nobody will believe the Chelsea players?

It's not that I don't. I just didn't think that it wasn't "obviously not true" that they wouldn't be believed, just because the club was investigating further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

It's not that I don't. I just didn't think that it wasn't "obviously not true" that they wouldn't be believed, just because the club was investigating further.
    Please keep using any old ****e to back your own ****e.

Its fun to read.

Helps me sleep, think its the amusement mixed with boredom that your posts bring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Irrelevant to the clattenberg case. Loser in the photo needs to be caught, banned and done by the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Irrelevant to the clattenberg case. Loser in the photo needs to be caught, banned and done by the police.
    Maybe he just has itchyarmpititis. It's a condition. Very complicated, but basically it means you get intensely itchy armpits at the same time. it can be very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

When is an appropriate punishment for Chelsea when it is proven that the allegations against Clattenberg are a complete fabrication/

In my opinion the only suitable punishment is to throw them out of football as that is what would have happened Clattenberg had he been found guilty in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

BBC are reporting that the 2 assistant refs and 4th official who are miked up to ref and can hear everything he says throughout the match are backing him saying he said nothing racist during the match. Hard for FA to go against that direct evidence.

Well done to chelsea last night, great entertainment, but really thought we had it at 93 mins !
    Secman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Severe punishment for Chelsea for attempting to tarnish someones reputation. Points deduction and a ban for Mikel and whoever else complained! You can't just basically try to destroy someones life because u lost a ****ing football match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Henlars67 wrote: »
    When is an appropriate punishment for Chelsea when it is proven that the allegations against Clattenberg are a complete fabrication/

In my opinion the only suitable punishment is to throw them out of football as that is what would have happened Clattenberg had he been found guilty in the wrong.

Sure while were at it might as well break up the team and give back the trophies we've won.

There is no appropriate punishment really, all the FA can do is maybe fine Chelsea for wasting their time they'll be no bans or suspensions or points taken off or kicking out of the football league.
    EdenHazard wrote: »
    Severe punishment for Chelsea for attempting to tarnish someones reputation. Points deduction and a ban for Mikel and whoever else complained! You can't just basically try to destroy someones life because u lost a ****ing football match!

LOL

The punishment should be the same as the punishment Clattenberg would have received.

Throw them out and let them start again in the Blue Square or lower.

The punishment should be the same as the punishment Clattenberg would have received.

Throw them out and let them start again in the Blue Square or lower.

Its good to get a laugh every now and again in this forum. :D

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its good to get a laugh every now and again in this forum. :D

Trying to ruin somebody's lies by orchestrating a series of vicious false allegations against him is no laughing matter.

The punishment needs to fit the crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Some people in here really are clueless.
    Some of the most ridiculous comments I ever read on the SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

What has one idiot amongst thousands doing a monkey gesture got to do with Clattenburgate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Leiva wrote: »
    What has one idiot amongst thousands doing a monkey gesture got to do with Clattenburgate ?

CFC planted him there to try put off United's black players.
    Get with the script man!!!

Stick to Snoods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I suppose you also had a Chelsea jersey as a kid, and went to a few game :pac:

stick to snoods as you wont have to change colours as much !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Sure while were at it might as well break up the team and give back the trophies we've won.

There is no appropriate punishment really, all the FA can do is maybe fine Chelsea for wasting their time they'll be no bans or suspensions or points taken off or kicking out of the football league.

LOL

But how is a financial penalty suitable for Chelsea. Falsely accusing a referee of racism (if that is what happened) is seriously bringing the game into disrepute, and the punishment should be something that hurts. 10 point penalty perhaps ?

Leiva wrote: »

Who says he was doing a monkey gesture? As much as I dislike Chelsea and their fans he is entitled to the benefit of doubt.

People are often caught in a certain pose which makes it look like they're doing something they're not.

There was a pic of Enda Kenny in last weeks indo which looked like he was making a nazi sign though he most certainly wasn't doing that, not in public anyway.

Trying to ruin somebody's lies by orchestrating a series of vicious false allegations against him is no laughing matter.

The punishment needs to fit the crime.

So you know first hand what was said I assume?

Since you've jumped the gun, made your decision and given a form of punishment that a team that goes into liquidation wouldnt get?

Ok.

Look, at the end of the day its Clattenberg and his assistants word against the word of a few Chelsea players.

There is no clear cut, unbiased evidence on either side to prove the other side wrong.

Some of the Chelsea players may have picked something up wrong and if its proven that was the case, so be it get on with it, if Clattenberg has said something racist then thats serious.

Nobody is trying to ruin Clattenbergs career, they only reason its been investiagted is clearly some people he has a case to answer and all the onus is on Chelsea and the players to prove something was said, Clattenberg is clearly innocent until proven guility and I suspect nothing will come of this only a media circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

We have to be careful here. Allegations about racist or abusive language are serious things. Last thing that should happen is someone being severely punished for making a complaint if the evidence isn't there to back it up. That will only discourage reporting of abuse. After all what if a player hears it but there are no other witnesses or taped evidence to prove it. It's not his fault that sufficient evidence isn't available, should he just stay silent?

But I think it needs to be handled better in future. First of all everyone needs to agree that when an allegation is made all parties are to be presumed innocent until the facts come out. What has happened in this case is everyone has jumped to a conclusion, either Clattendburg did it, or else Chelsea are liars and bad losers. Instead we should all just wait until an investigation is completed, then form an opinion based on its findings.

And if it's a case like the John Terry case where the allegations can't be 100% proved, but there is serious questions over the defenses evidence, that needs to be treated in a serious way also.

In this case I think Mikel, Mata and whoever was affected should have went to see the ref with their manager after the game. The ref should have had a representative there also. They should have talked it out, laying out each others cases and try to come to some agreement, with the opportunity for an apology from anyone who feels they might need to give it. Then if nothing can be agreed and either party still feels aggrieved, then they can make an official complaint to the FA, and also try their best to keep it out of the press.

Personally I'm a fan of micing up the ref and taping it. Firstly anything said within earshot of the ref will be picked up so allegations like this will be proved straight away. Also it will give a taste of what the ref has to put up with. It will hopefully sort out players language as well.

greendom wrote: »
    But how is a financial penalty suitable for Chelsea. Falsely accusing a referee of racism (if that is what happened) is seriously bringing the game into disrepute, and the punishment should be something that hurts. 10 point penalty perhaps ?

So what your saying is, if you think somebody has been racially abused you shouldnt bring a case against the individual, basically covering it up.

I'm not saying Clattenberg said anything, he more then likely did not but by not at least raising the issue you leave it go and let it slide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement