Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Lodge Complaint Against Mark Clattenberg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I presume that picture is just a bad photoshop. His body doesn't look right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MUSEIST wrote: »
    It could also be argued that the abuse to chelsea players could indicate a dislike and inpartiality in dealing with them. This raises serious question especially when we see some of the decision he made today.
    Other than the Torres red, what decisions are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

MUSEIST wrote: »
    It could also be argued that the abuse to chelsea players could indicate a dislike and inpartiality in dealing with them. This raises serious question especially when we see some of the decision he made today.
    Clutching at straws.
    Of course I must biased though as I am a Liverpool fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

amiable wrote: »
    Clutching at straws.
    Of course I must biased though as I am a Liverpool fan

:confused:

Other than the Torres red, what decisions are you referring to?
    Bare in mind he thinks Torres didn't deserve a red in the first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

El Spearo wrote: »
    This whole thing is an absolute jump the gun of a story. Given the history of the past few weeks, 'inappropriate' has suddenly come to mean racist.

I'm sure he just cursed or something.

While I hate defending any officials after today.

Being reported he called Mikel a monkey.

Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

What did he call him, a Spanish twat is it.

BBC going with reported he used racial language. He's done if true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20119340

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

opr wrote: »

Can someone get onto the Daily Fail and teach them the difference between xenophobia and racism?

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    Can someone get onto the Daily Fail and teach them the difference between xenophobia and racism?

The Spanish insult was separate, sure mikel isn't Spanish.

niallo27 wrote: »

My apologies, I missed that bit!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well now we know what Clattenburg didnt say !

226192.png

Wouldn't be the first thing he has got wrong today :pac:

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first thing he has got wrong today :pac:

Opr

Me?

Have Chelsea made a police complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah he meant "you little monkey" like you say to your kids. *cough*

My apologies, I missed that bit!!!

Looks bonkers to me though, why would he ruin his career like this, I mean he must be well use to abuse week in week out, it makes no sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Monkey is just English slang for "pal".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah he meant "you little monkey" like you say to your kids. *cough*
    Term of endearment you say???

Me?

No, I meant Clattenburg.

Edit - NFL now, what a day of sport.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If he did use that kind of language he should never ref again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Who'd call little Mata a twat? He'd be close to bottom of the list of twatish footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone else bored to the back teeth of all this Terry, Rio, Anton, Suarez, Cole, Evra rubbish and now this is going to last for weeks if not months.

Will we ever get back to the football, or is this going to blight the game from here on in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone else bored to the back teeth of all this Terry, Rio, Anton, Suarez, Cole, Evra rubbish and now this is going to last for weeks if not months.

Will we ever get back to the football, or is this going to blight the game from here on in?
    Yep. Fed up with it alright but if players and now apparently officials are going to be engaging in that behaviour it's going to make the news.
    I still can't get my head around a referee doing this after all that's gone on the last year or so. Morals aside it's stupidity of the highest order.

• Advertisement

Looks bonkers to me though, why would he ruin his career like this, I mean he must be well use to abuse week in week out, it makes no sense.

He is hooked up to a mic. The other officials could here what he said. I have no idea if it is true or not but I doubt he is that stupid.
    Just out of interest, if it is true should he get fired? Lose his pension? I think a fine of a weeks wages will suffice. If it is good enough for the "role models" it is good enough for the officials.

By right he should lose his job but I do think everyone should be judged equally and the players have gotten off lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

According to the Telegraph, the audio from the ref's mics isn't recorded so it's Clattenburg's word against the players.

You just have to laugh and facepalm.

Whatever about his inappropriate language he should be pulled up on his refereeing incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Xavi6 wrote: »
    According to the Telegraph, the audio from the ref's mics isn't recorded so it's Clattenburg's word against the players.

You just have to laugh and facepalm.

And all the other ref's. I'm also sure they will look for tv footage and if needed also lip readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Absolutely, if found guilty, Clattenburg should be treated exactly the same way as Terry and Suarez. He should be fined at least a couple of weeks wages and suspended for a month. Players (and possibly other match officials) should refuse to shake hands with him. There should be criminal charges brought against him. It should be on every newspaper's back page for months. Players should refuse to wear the Kick Racism Out t-shirts in protest if he isn't banned for life. Players should post abusive tweets about him. He should be barracked from the stands for at least a season and possibly for the rest of his career.

My point is that people in football can't pick and choose their outrage. Apart from the fact that Clattenburg's alleged statements call into question his impartiality - and that's putting it oh-so-mildly - a match official calling a black player a monkey is way, way beyond players hurling abuse at each other.

Even though I'm a Chelsea fan, I'd have to say Terry got what he deserved and possibly should have gotten a lot more in terms of official punishment - as should Suarez. If players were suspended for a year for such offences, you could ditch the t-shirts because it'd die out over night.

To answer Xavi's point, the referee's mic is hooked up to at least two other match officials - the two assistant referees a.k.a. linesmen - and probably the fourth official as well. If he said what he's alleged to have said - calling Mikel a "monkey" and Mata a "Spanish twát" - then it will have been heard with crystal clarity by the other officials.

There is also the possibility of using TV footage, as they did in the Terry trial, to assess what he may have said.

I can't help feeling there's a measure of payback in all this. The FA didn't let the Terry matter lie after the court case and whatever about Clattenburg, this puts the FA on the spot. It's highly unlikely that Chelsea would have brought forward the complaints without cause - that would be a recipe for getting hammered by every ref who officiated at one of their games - so what the FA do next is the key thing.

String it out and they'd be accused of hiding something. Not pursuing it with the same rigour as they pursued Terry and Suarez and they'd be accused of being hypocrites. Worst of all, the other match officials claim to have heard nothing and other evidence contradicts them, they're accused of cover up. I think this is as much about the FA as it is Clattenburg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Clattenburg yesterday was a tumble into a water feature short of summing up everything that's wrong with English football officialdom.

He single-handedly ruined what was turning into a classic game. And if he used any racially charged language to a player, he should never ref again.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Who'd call little Mata a twat? He'd be close to bottom of the list of twatish footballers.

The kind of brain-dead moron who cravenly sucks up to / 'banters with' current and former English internationals?

But yeah, even people I know who despise Chelsea see Mata as basically a decent egg.

It's important this is dealt with swiftly IMO and not allowed to drag on for weeks or months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

article-0-15BBDFE7000005DC-572_634x439.jpg

The fourth official looks like hes contemplating saying something inappropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fuhrer wrote: »

Just goes to show the pressure they are put under. And then the ref will have 22 players around him. Suffering that week in, week out they could easily say something in retort, like call a player a twat. But to racially abuse someone, they dont have the mentality for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Being honest, my intial reaction reading the story last night was that this was Chelsea looking to lodge some form of complaint following the result of the match; an attempt to just do something out of frustration,

But if Clattenberg did use racially-feuled language, and in a Chelsea game, then he really is an idiot. How did he not think it would get reported back with all that's gone on recently.

I wonder when it happened though, and I wonder if when it did happen, Mikel went straight to the captain of his team and to the forth official and lodge the complaint then and there...

Fuhrer wrote: »

Was that just after the red for Torres? Because I saw RDM going mad at not being allowed to make a substitution before the second yellow incident. So I'd fancy the fourth official got an earful then.

Would be glad to see the back of Clattenberg either way but if he said what's alleged then he'll rightly be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

For me this looks like a Chelsea overreaction, sour grapes to what went on yesterday. If it boils down to him telling players to 'fcuk off' then those players who lodged the complaint need to grow a set, the abuse dished out to referees by players and they expect to be spoken to back professionally.

'If' he has used a rascist slur he should accept his 4 week ban. But I reckon this will be a case of Chelsea throwing there toys out of the Pram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Some people posting are implying that this may be sour grapes from Chelsea, but think about it, if Mikel comes to the club with the complaint what other choice do they have butt to report it to the FA? If they dont and the story leaks it would damage the clubs reputation even further, it would look as if Chelsea are, by not pursuing it, assisting alleged racist behavior in the professional game.

Cluttenburg is an idiot, either way, his performance was incredibly inept yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Soups123 wrote: »
    For me this looks like a Chelsea overreaction, sour grapes to what went on yesterday. If it boils down to him telling players to 'fcuk off' then those players who lodged the complaint need to grow a set, the abuse dished out to referees by players and they expect to be spoken to back professionally.

'If' he has used a rascist slur he should accept his 4 week ban. But I reckon this will be a case of Chelsea throwing there toys out of the Pram

Agreed. I think Chelsea need to come out and say what these "inappropriate comments" were. By being ambiguous it leaves a shadow over Clattenburg. It's a basic right in the criminal justice system that a person knows what they're being accused of.

If he just swore at the players in question I have no issue with that. If a ref is surrounded by ten players (from either side) he should be welll within his rights to tell them to get the f*ck out of his face and let him deal with the game. If on the other hand, there was a racist slur involved then throw the book at him.

Although the punishment for that will only open another can of worms. If banned for life the refereeing association will be unhappy as players would get a four to eight week ban as has already seen. If given a short ban players may be unhappy to have him officiating over them. This needs to be dealt with in an open manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Smells of sour grapes from Chelsea, blaming the referee on the defeat when really they should be looking at Ivanovics sending off.

Typical Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

tigger123 wrote: »
    Some people posting are implying that this may be sour grapes from Chelsea, but think about it, if Mikel comes to the club with the complaint what other choice do they have butt to report it to the FA? If they dont and the story leaks it would damage the clubs reputation even further, it would look as if Chelsea are, by not pursuing it, assisting alleged racist behavior in the professional game.

Cluttenburg is an idiot, either way, his performance was incredibly inept yesterday.
    You would hope that officials within the club would have taken there time, let the anger of the game settle and then talk to the players in question to see if they are 100%. If the accusations are racist then fair enough support the player, if its just been a case of the ref told me to 'fcuk off' you iratating twat then tell them to cop on. Until the information is officially out then we'll all be second guessing, but given recent events and the fact the claims were openly there within hours of the game I just feel this one is more about inappropriate than racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Smells of sour grapes from Chelsea, blaming the referee on the defeat when really they should be looking at Ivanovics sending off.

Typical Chelsea.

No, any club in Chelsea's position would be fuming after what happened yesterday. And after everything that has happened with Terrry. i'd be very surprised if there wasn't something substantive behind the accusations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

If true I expect Clattenburg's career to be over.

No doubt he won't be let off with just an 8 game ban.. Double standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Soups123 wrote: »
    You would hope that officials within the club would have taken there time, let the anger of the game settle and then talk to the players in question to see if they are 100%. If the accusations are racist then fair enough support the player, if its just been a case of the ref told me to 'fcuk off' you iratating twat then tell them to cop on. Until the information is officially out then we'll all be second guessing, but given recent events and the fact the claims were openly there within hours of the game I just feel this one is more about inappropriate than racist

:confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Typical Chelsea.
    Or the linesman for the ridiculous decision for awarding the goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is it probable that Chelsea lodged a complaint because it means they can't have that ref again whilst there is a complaint pending?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Maby we should actually wait and see what was said before getting our knickers in a twist:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

NinjaK wrote: »
    Maby we should actually wait and see what was said before getting our knickers in a twist:rolleyes:
    Yes let's not discuss major issues on boards until they are fully dealt with

Advertisement