Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Lodge Complaint Against Mark Clattenberg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If racist language was used, why wasn't something said/done at the time? Mikel should have walked off the pitch IMO. Either way, can the club really be that outraged about it when you have your captain who has been banned for racist abuse sitting in the stands and the fans booing Rio Ferdinand with every touch because he dared to stand up for his brother after he was racially abused?

As for calling Mata a Spanish twat, I see players up in the referees face telling him to **** off etc at least 10 times every game. Clattenburg shouldn't have said it but players can't have it both ways and I can only imagine how hard it is not to bite when players are in his face.

Another few weeks of everything apart from the football being spoken about. The game really is beyond redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

tigger123 wrote: »

:confused:

:pac:
    Can you not read? I said I feel not I know! Easily confused

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Paully D wrote: »
    the fans booing Rio Ferdinand with every touch because he dared to stand up for his brother after he was racially abused?

I think retweeting a racially charged term about Ashley Cole, and refusing to apologise for it, might have also had something to do with it. I'd support Rio's right to stick up for his brother, but the 'saint rio' nonsense is really wearing.

I don't like the fact that John Terry is still the captain of Chelsea. But that doesn't give licence to refs to racially abuse players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

If racist language was used, why wasn't something said/done at the time? Mikel should have walked off the pitch IMO. Either way, can the club really be that outraged about it when you have your captain who has been banned for racist abuse sitting in the stands and the fans booing Rio Ferdinand with every touch because he dared to stand up for his brother after he was racially abused?

As for calling Mata a Spanish twat, I see players up in the referees face telling him to **** off etc at least 10 times every game. Clattenburg shouldn't have said it but players can't have it both ways and I can only imagine how hard it is not to bite when players are in his face.

Another few weeks of everything apart from the football being spoken about. The game really is beyond redemption.

Some paper is reporting that Mikel went to see the ref after the game and something was said in the ref's dressing room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

As for calling Mata a Spanish twat, I see players up in the referees face telling him to **** off etc at least 10 times every game.

Would you be that blasé if a ref called an Irish player a "stupid mick" or "bog man"?

Because I can already imagine the outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm curious how people feel... Is it less severe for a place to use racist abuse to another player than it is for a ref?

While referees have to be above reproach, the core of me says that if Suarez and Terry can "get away with it" - in the sense that they didn't get fired, or any kind of meaningful ban, money is nothing to them - then it's hardly fair if a referee is fired because of it. It smacks of treating these players as above the law in a sense. One rule for them, another for refs (and everyone else in society, if I was caught giving racist abuse in my workplace I'd be fired - and rightly so).

Of course, if he's found guilty of this, then his position is untenable as people (fans, players, managers and pundits alike) won't take him at all seriously and won't respect his decisions. He won't be able to ref a game properly, if this goes the wrong way for him.

If someone is found to have given racist abuse, player or ref - in my opinion - they should be fired. It gives the wrong signal out to young players if you fire a ref because of it and don't fire a player. Just because you've spent all this money on the player makes it alright? Or does it just make it necessary for clubs to protect their assets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'm curious how people feel... Is it less severe for a place to use racist abuse to another player than it is for a ref?

It should be the same for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

It should be the same for all.
    It should be but Suarez is a valuable club asset so its slightly different.
    I'm not saying I agree with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lol, can't even believe people are wondering why a ref and a player are treated differently in terms of punishment. If Clattenburg is found guilty he has to be sacked and he will be.

lol, can't even believe people are wondering why a ref and a player are treated differently in terms of punishment. If Clattenburg is found guilty he has to be sacked and he will be.

Oh, I know why they'll be treated differently.

I just don't think it's just.

Don't mistake me for thinking he shouldn't be fired (if guilty). He should. But so should Terry and Suarez and anyone else found guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Oh, I know why they'll be treated differently.

I just don't think it's just.

Don't mistake me for thinking he shouldn't be fired (if guilty). He should. But so should Terry and Suarez and anyone else found guilty.

Of course it's just. You can't have a ref charged with racism in charge of football matches ffs, it's not rocket science to see why that would be such a terrible idea. The FA don't employ the players, they can't sack them.

Of course it's just. You can't have a ref charged with racism in charge of football matches ffs, it's not rocket science to see why that would be such a terrible idea. The FA don't employ the players, they can't sack them.

I didn't say the FA should sack them. Their employers should.

I'm not as big a Liverpool fan as I was as a kid, truth be told, but if - for example - Leinster rugby employed a player who was found to be guilty of racist abuse, I'd like my club to fire them themselves. Regardless of the asset-value.

I don't think we'll agree on if it's just, and I don't really care all that much, so I won't bother trying to change your mind.

Any truth to the rumour that Chelsea want to make Mark Clattenburg their captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

amiable wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumour that Chelsea want to make Mark Clattenburg their captain?

no i'm hearing ferguson said he wouldn't sell that bunch a virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

greendom wrote: »
    No, any club in Chelsea's position would be fuming after what happened yesterday. And after everything that has happened with Terrry. i'd be very surprised if there wasn't something substantive behind the accusations.

Or Ashley Cole is lying again....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

darced wrote: »

Yes yes, I think you've nailed it there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Ban him 4 games and fine him a weeks wages and all will be right with the world. Just like JT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I dont believe this is the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Watch for every decision in games to go against Chelsea now. The Refs, like clubs will always stand up for their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Well that's complete horse****

FatherTed wrote: »
    Ban him 4 games and fine him a weeks wages and all will be right with the world. Just like JT.
    So he has been found guilty then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm sure the horse shít comment was in relation to your silly interpretation of the Suarez incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    According to the Telegraph, the audio from the ref's mics isn't recorded so it's Clattenburg's word against the players.

You just have to laugh and facepalm.

the audio isn't recorded, but the other officials would have listened to it for the duration of the match, so i don't see how it's just Clattenburg's word against the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

RGDATA! wrote: »
    the audio isn't recorded, but the other officials would have listened to it for the duration of the match, so i don't see how it's just Clattenburg's word against the players.

Indeed, its 4 official's word against the players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought this was supposed to have happened after the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Really you'd think that Chelsea could of waited until Tuesday at least to put in a complaint. It seems at this stage that after the game somebody ran straight down the tunnel to the nearest telephone to make a complaint because he had a shocking game yesterday.

Nothing will come of it IMO.

• Advertisement

Really you'd think that Chelsea could of waited until Tuesday at least to put in a complaint. It seems at this stage that after the game somebody ran straight down the tunnel to the nearest telephone to make a complaint because he had a shocking game yesterday.

Nothing will come of it IMO.

Compare to the qpr game, where ferdinand had to be told by his girlfriend, hours after the event, that he had been abused!

but yes, I'd be surprised if anything happens, as its probably just "I told those 2 horrible chelsea players to fecking shutup"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Compare to the qpr game, where ferdinand had to be told by his girlfriend, hours after the event, that he had been abused!

but yes, I'd be surprised if anything happens, as its probably just "I told those 2 horrible chelsea players to fecking shutup"

Well I think Chelsea are digging themselves a hole with the F.A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'll tell you one thing they better be damn sure about what was said. As other refs may not take too kindly to them for the rest of the season. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I'd be shocked if Clattenburg said something racist, he'd be absolutely bonkers to do that, he'd be finished in the game. On his decisions yesterday, Ivaniovic had to go, Torres to me looked like he took a dive and only after sky super slo-mo could you see the barest of contact, the goal was off-side but that was the linesman's to call and to be fair to him it was a hard one to spot with the way hernandez ran back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I'll tell you one thing they better be damn sure about what was said. As other refs may not take too kindly to them for the rest of the season. :)

And that today is modern football. Anyone that accepts this as a possibility surely has to accept that the opposite is also just as true, that certain teams for whatever reasons will get decisions in their favour. Having officials who constantly allow personal bias or outside interference get in the way of making big calls in matches that could end up costing teams league titles and cups just isn't good enough.

Time for foreign refs to be brought in i say. How ludicrous is that by the way, that foreigners aren't allowed to ref domestic games in other countries? That sounds a lot like discrimination to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:D

you don't honestly believe this crap do you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

el dude wrote: »
    Time for foreign refs to be brought in i say. How ludicrous is that by the way, that foreigners aren't allowed to ref domestic games in other countries? That sounds a lot like discrimination to me.

What?

There was a fella born in Dublin reffing EPL games up to fairly recently - Dermot Gallagher, from Ringsend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Des wrote: »
    Dermot Gallagher, from Ringsend

off topic
    Sound bloke.

Well, Chelsea better be sure cos the FA are to launch an investigation now.

breaking news BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Well, Chelsea better be sure cos the FA are to launch an investigation now.

breaking news BBC

He's being backed by the Ref's union too which could get embarrassing.

Apparently United players are going to wear t-shirts before next weeks game in support of their team mate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

What is he supposed to have said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

didnt chelsea do this before, but then dropped the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

didnt chelsea do this before, but then dropped the case?

Graham Poll was the referee in question IIRC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

What is he supposed to have said?
    aparentley called Mata a Spanish twat & Mikel a monkey

Graham Poll was the referee in question IIRC?

Spurs game at White Hart Lane when Terry got sent off IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh so they have History of this.

Be interesting to see what comes from it. If anything.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2220214/Premier-League-referee-guide-October-20-21--Graham-Poll.html

A welcome return to Premier League action and what a game to start with – Spurs v Chelsea at White Hart Lane.
    I remember well the last time I refereed this fixture back on November 5, 2006 when I had to send Chelsea’s John Terry off in Tottenham’s 2-1 win – it seemed a straight forward dismissal even though Terry was England captain.
    What followed was incredible as Terry, Ashley Cole and other Chelsea players set about trying to tarnish my reputation by inventing stories about what I was supposed to have said to them on the field that day.

Whilst they retracted the statements later it showed the difficulties for modern day referees who all too often feel isolated and unsupported when facing the might of millionaire footballers and mega-rich clubs.
    At that time I was, under the advice of the professional referees fitness coach, taking Pro Plus caffeine supplements to try and maximise performance levels.
    That might seem odd, a referee taking supplements, but shows how much we cared about performing at optimum levels in a faster and faster game with fitter players than ever.
    Now I read that England players were taking caffeine pills before their International match this week and having seen the performance wonder just how much good they did me!

Haven't the FA on a couple of occasions implied Ashley Cole is not a reliable witness now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Looks like the Met are soon to be involved now. Be interesting to see if it's worth pursuing, especially the way the Terry court case ended up.
    Richard Conway BBC‏@richard_conway

Society of Black Lawyers make complaint to Met Police over allegations of "inappropriate comments" by Mark Clattenburg to Chelsea players.

Retweeted by Dan Roan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Society of Black Lawyers

wtf has it got to do with them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement