Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC €900 with TV/monitor?

Options
  • 28-10-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Did some research so editing this.

I'm looking at the hardwareversand.de default gaming rig for €654.26. Is there much point in changing it? I'm on a tight budget, but thought this would come to around €900 (with a monitor). It'd be great if I could save some money somewhere?

I don't have a clue about monitors, I was looking at this ASUS VS248H monitor. Could I connect a PS3 up to that, is there problems because it's a monitor? Would I be connecting my PC to that via VGA or DVI-D? How come it doesn't use HDMI? (I've had a laptop for six years, so essentially I'm confused about the difference between monitors and HD TVs? Is there a difference?)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

You can get a 24" for less than €250 but i wouldn't recommend it since TV's arn't specifically designed for pc's since you can get a 24" IPS panel monitor for €150 these days, best ways or hooking up a computer is using either DVI or DisplayPort (DP is alot more expensive however) since HDMI does not offer auto scaling.
    Does it have to be a TV? what devices will you be hooking up to it? because if it's just the comp and a PS3 you could easily just get a monitor with built in speakers and a HDMI port.

Also why choose AMD when Intel currently have the best processors for gaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't have a clue about monitors, I was looking at this ASUS VS248H monitor. Could I connect a PS3 up to that, is there problems because it's a monitor? Would I be connecting my PC to that via VGA or DVI-D? How come it doesn't use HDMI? (I've had a laptop for six years, so essentially I'm confused about the difference between monitors and HD TVs? Is there a difference?)

Thanks!

The main difference between tv's and monitors are monitors have a higher pixel density so will look sharper if sitting close to the screen. Monitors normally have a faster response time so are better for fast paced games. I would say use a monitor if you will be sitting close to the screen like at a desk and use a TV if you will be sitting further back like on a couch.

A PS3 will work just fine on a pc monitor but you will need external speakers. There are many guides explaining how to connect a PS3 to a PC monitor on youtube, it's not difficult.

As for what connect to use, both DVI-D or HDMI will look good so it depends what connections the monitor or TV has. If the monitor has both I would connect the PS3 to HDMI and the PC to DVI-D. Don't use VGA.

won't need external speakers if you a get a monitor with some built in with a hdmi port so you can use the PS3 with the HDMI and the comp with the DVI:

Here's a great IPS monitor with built in speakers for your PS3 so should fit the bill nicely:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=53840&agid=1649&apop=0

Do you have any idea how bad the speakers that come with monitors are? Normally much worse than tv speakers.

monitors tend to have speakers that are on par with tv's these days but i would still recommend using a good set of external speakers anyway

• Advertisement

monitors tend to have speakers that are on par with tv's these days but i would still recommend using a good set of external speakers anyway

This goes against any monitor reviews I have ever read, even on very recent models. If you Google for info on that monitor you recommended you will find people saying how poor the speakers are.

does it matter when using a good pair of external speakers is always better?
    also i prefer a better picture quality over audio since the audio sitution can be changed later down the line with speakers anyway

Of course external speakers are much better.
    The OP wanted to know the difference between TV's and monitors so lets try to be accurate with the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bowsandarrows

Thanks guys, that really clears things up!

no bother mate.
    do you wnat us to spec you out a custom system then for €900 including a monitor?
    hardwareversand will build it anyway aslong as you pay the €20 assembly fee

• Advertisement

Here's a bang on system for your budget including the assembly service:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3450 Box, LGA1155|€170.41
    MSI B75A-G43, Intel B75, ATX, DDR3|€73.38
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€27.29
    MSI R7850-1GD5/OC, 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€161.85
    Samsung SH-224BB bare schwarz|€18.16
    Toshiba DT01ACA Series 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s|€62.97
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.20
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€54.03
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€82.41
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Iiyama ProLite X2377HDS-1|€168.79
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€890.48

or if your still kean on getting a tv you could get this but it will put you over budget by €40 and you'll need need to use the comp by HDMI which isn't a huge issue you'll just need to scale it manually through the graphics card drivers:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/23+Inch/61821/LG+M2352D.article

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bowsandarrows

Legend! Thanks! Probably just go for that. Probably will go for a monitor instead of a TV.

Really excited! I've only had a laptop for far too long.

Advertisement