Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Options

Options
  • 29-10-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi there, Im going around in circles here online researching my visa options, any help is appreciated. Here's my situation;

I am 22, the child of a US citizen, have a US social security number from my J1 visa, am currently living in Canada for the past 4 months but am from Ireland, Graphic/web designer by trade and have a Degree.

I want to move to the states to work in my profession, as I find Canada too expensive, I loved the states on my J1 and am aiming for California again.

The i130 has been suggested to me, as have the IR and F1 green card. I was going to schedule an appointment in the US embassy here in Toronto but being an Irish citizen apparently starting my visa process here would mean it could be refused, but moving back to Ireland means I would be jobless and waiting around for a visa. I will be in Canada until June of next year at the very least.

Can anybody shed some light on this, I would just like the opportunity to live and work in states for a year or more. For Canada and Oz a 1 year working permit is available, I am not eligible for the 1 year graduate visa for the states.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

First things first, have you investigated whether you might be a US citizen yourself through your parent?
    Also, you can interview for a visa anywhere where you are legally resident. So if you have a work visa for Canada, you can interview at the US embassy there (not if you are on a tourist visa).

F1 is a student visa, it does not lead to a greencard, but it is certainly an option to live there for a while, maybe make connections with employers that will sponsor you for a work visa/ greencard later.

If your US currently live in the USA or are willing to move back, they could petition you via the I-130 for a family visa, but as you are over 21 it would take 7 years if you remain unmarried, or ten years if you marry.

Are you an Irish citizen? If so, apply for the Diversity Visa Lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭laura1990

silja wrote: »
    First things first, have you investigated whether you might be a US citizen yourself through your parent?
    Also, you can interview for a visa anywhere where you are legally resident. So if you have a work visa for Canada, you can interview at the US embassy there (not if you are on a tourist visa).

F1 is a student visa, it does not lead to a greencard, but it is certainly an option to live there for a while, maybe make connections with employers that will sponsor you for a work visa/ greencard later.

If your US currently live in the USA or are willing to move back, they could petition you via the I-130 for a family visa, but as you are over 21 it would take 7 years if you remain unmarried, or ten years if you marry.

Are you an Irish citizen? If so, apply for the Diversity Visa Lottery.

My parents have looked into that, and I can't get citizenship through my father, something to do with the length of time he was resident in the states since birth.

Yes I am an Irish Citizen and I have already applied for the Diversity Visa Lottery, no luck there im afraid!

Im just really looking for a visa that would allow me to enter the country and work, and then as you mentioned get a greencard/sponsored by a company later on. I just thought it would be a lot easier seeing as my dad is an american!

Thank you for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

No unfortunately your dad being American only matters if he lives in the US and can sponsor you for a greencard. Try the lottery every year, probably your best bet.

Advertisement