Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting/printing on location

• 29-10-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just did my first onsite photography job recently but looking for easier options or ideas of what might be the best set up.

I'm on my own in all of this, shoot the pics then bring them to my computer and 1 by 1 people could come and have a look at the snaps and choose the ones they like.

It was a bit time consuming as I don't have any way of filing the items, so had to go through each photo to find some people. It's also not ideal as no photos are edited in anyway so not great for showing to potential buyers.

Then I was taking their details and payments and am forwarding their photos on to them as don't have a printer.

What ways do people work these type of situations or what software/hardware do you use?

Is there any help anyone could give me for doing this kinda thing please? All advice appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

easiest way would be to have someone else tag along - let them do the sales pitch and computer work (including printing).

even if you pay someone €200 for their nights work - you should make a lot more in profit.

ideal situation is the person you hire to tag along will be capable of post processing/very computer capable, well able to do the sales pitch and smile !! capable of upselling and quick at dealing with the people.

have the person on the computer putting the images into folders (ie. different folder for different types of people ... blonde/brown/red hair and bald ...or colour codes for the clothing they are wearing - makes it easier to find the people)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Do you have a large vehicle or would you be in the position to purchase one, I saw a van in the US kitted out for a similar enough process , it looked quite well.

They had a tablet pc (old fujitsu job) that they would show clients photos of fairs / shows etc.. that they had been taking photos at. Also with a large plasma screen mounted in the side windows of the van displaying a slide show and advertising for them. Inside the van was an assistant printing and cutting the photos on a dye-sub printer and computer fitted to the van.

If youd be interested in something like this Id be more than happy to help you in any way I can (experience in Print media, IT and auto electronics) as it was quite a good concept I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Software to use is express digital and then a dye sub printer, as pcphoto says get someone capable of sales and computer savvy. Best to come up with a method of cataloging people as you shoot name and photo number, anything else is wasting your time going through each picture.

What type of event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Use the likes of Digital Darkroom, or Lightroom shoot tethered to the computer this way you can do PP and show them as they come in! :D Just edit the keyword for each person! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Its basically an schooling day/promo day where people go out in cars and do their thing, I would be out for maybe 2 hours and trying to get a good shot of them for that time they are out there. They then are finished up and wanting photos at the end but just I dont have time to do anything with them before they want them. Tethering isint really an option cause it has to happen very quickly.

Another laptop seems like it could be a slow way of doing things as it mightnt be quick enough to go through high res images. maybe the best way is going to be setting up an online section that people can go look at them and order from there but it takes away the impulse buy sort of things then unfort, which would be the best way to sell.

Just wondering how lads at rally's etc sort their stuff out for printing there and then, although they can easily pic the car as each one is different. for my photos, the cars are the same so am looking out for helmet colors so its tough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Do you have a start list from each event. A laptop can easily handle going through a lot of his response files with express digital or aceedsee.

Advertisement