Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13yr old Ballybofey girl - death by suicide after online bullying?

• 29-10-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,784 ✭✭✭✭

A tragic story and such a waste of a life.

Is there anything that can be done about online bullying?

I do not have a link to the story other than from a website that is banned here, and since I have got warnings before about posting links to it, I will post a link to a thread discussing it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056793012

May she RIP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Poor little girl. RIP.

Condolences to her family and friends.

You have to wonder what kick the little sh*ts who engage in this bullying get out of it?

Alright, they're kids - but, seriously, even if they don't realise they can drive someone to suicide, surely they must realise that they're being nasty little creeps, at best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

NIMAN wrote: »
    A tragic story and such a waste of a life.

Is there anything that can be done about online bullying?

I do not have a link to the story other than from a website that is banned here, and since I have got warnings before about posting links to it, I will post a link to a thread discussing it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056793012

May she RIP.

Teach the parents better, and teach teens that they can stop using websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Flibbles wrote: »
    Teach the parents better, and teach teens that they can stop using websites.

?? Whose parents? Erin Gallaghers parents, or the bullies parents?

How about teaching those engaged in the bullying that it's just not acceptable?
    Just saying that the child could stop using the website doesn't alter the fact that she had her hair pulled. That suggests that there was physical bullying going on, as well. Not logging on to Ask fm wouldn't have stopped the physical bullying.

Parents can only do so much to protect their children. They can't be with their teenage children every minute of the day, in all fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,784 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

These sites need to remove anonymity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

NIMAN wrote: »
    These sites need to remove anonymity.

No such thing as anonymity on the web once.the.cops are involved.

I hope they (the bullies) are held to account and tried in the same way as Phoebe Prince's tormentors were.

I'm amazed by the lack of public outcry tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Pique wrote: »

I hope they (the bullies) are held to account and tried in the same way as Phoebe Prince's tormentors were.

Allegedly the cops where informed about what was going on but could do nothing cause of lack of evidence, if this is true it is a shocking state we live where we let children get abused and within two weeks of this happening we have a referendum on childrens rights, we need to make sure laws are there to protect our children and make sure what happened young erin does not happen another child again.

Its time for the people in charge to take the bull by the horn and make an example out of these people that let this get this far and let everyone know this will not be tollerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

There is lot's of rumbling about this in fairness in almost all the papers (the one's I've seen today) and Ray D'arcy done a peice on it this morning, although he was going at it from the wrong angle IMO saying it was the websites fault, surely it is the people asking the questions fault?

Very sad state of affairs for anyone to take their own life nevermind a 13 year old child. Can't even begin to imagine what the family and friends are going through :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's been reported on in every newspaper, local and national and probably internationally too. It's made it into every news bulletin both on radio and tv. The guards are investigating it and the HSE, school authorities as well as several other agencies are involved. What good would a public outcry do?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

CJC999 wrote: »
    It's been reported on in every newspaper, local and national and probably internationally too. It's made it into every news bulletin both on radio and tv. The guards are investigating it and the HSE, school authorities as well as several other agencies are involved. What good would a public outcry do?
    you say the guards and school authorities and hse are investiating if this has been reported to them all before whats the point in doing so now, surely this should not be let go this far surely there is something could have been done before this.

Yeah but it takes the cops to be involved - up to that point the bullies are only a username.

Its a pity that people can remain anonymous right up to the point at which a child may decide to end their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

While anonymity will always add to the "thrill" of bullying online, in itself it is not the problem and in fact, I believe the discussion of anonymity is taking away from the real issues. The obvious problem is the person doing the actual bullying. If a kid will bully someone online using an anonymous screenname, they have an issue of some sort that needs resolved.

The other not so often mentioned obvious problem is the bully's parents/guardians letting them use the internet in such a way. There needs to be some element of monitoring done by all parents when kids now have such easy access to the internet.

Without wanting the whole of Donegal to sit around a campfire and sing kumbya, there does need to be an educational campaign on the impacts and effects of bullying. After the most recent tragedy as well as previous well publicised ones, these educational campaigns need to be directed towards children, parents and school teachers equally.

Horrible new coming through this morning that Erin's older sister has committed suicide too, she was only 15, RIP.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2012/12/13/donegal-vec-respo/

Very sad news this morning, I would guess her sister might have been finding it hard coping without her.

Thats 2 lives lost due to bullying, and an entire family and family circle devastated.

May they both RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cusackd

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭md23040

there does need to be an educational campaign on the impacts and effects of bullying. After the most recent tragedy as well as previous well publicised ones, these educational campaigns need to be directed towards children, parents and school teachers equally.

Sadly another death in the same family in a heavily clustered suicide problem-area of the Finn Valley. The Dept of Education seems to be burying its head, as absolutely nothing was mentioned to any children in one of the secondary schools within the catchment that my children attend.

Terrible tragedies like these could be avoided with open communication channels. Talking costs nothing, but can make a huge difference.

Absolute horror for the family involved and my thoughts and condolence go out to them. RIP

Edit addon - although the school can play a part in discussing these issues, there's no point just bashing them. I certainly will be speaking to my own children about what happened and ensuring they are able to share any problems, as not doubt they will be greatly affected amongst many others who knew these two children well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,212 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm seldom stuck for words but I am today. I cant even imagine the grief and pain the family must be experiencing. Sad, sad day.

Mod hat on: There is no evidence of bullying and I would ask that people refrain from speculating any further or posting comments to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Horrible new coming through this morning that Erin's older sister has committed suicide too, she was only 15, RIP.

There are now fears that this may be some sort of suicide pact because it brings the total number of suicides to 4 from the same school.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2012/12/13/donegal-vec-respo/

This is a horrific turn of events. Where did you hear that this school had 4 suicides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

What an unbelievable tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

That's awful. Condolences to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Condolences to the mother .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

this is absolutely horrendous. There are no words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I dont think I can actually come up with words to describe my reaction to this news. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Ditto what has been said above. Awful, tragic news/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Heartbreaking !

There's a thread in AH about this too.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056831077

Rasmus wrote: »
    This is a horrific turn of events. Where did you hear that this school had 4 suicides?

It's being shared all over facebook, also I know a pupil attending the school and this is what she has said but I've removed it just in case....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

it wouldnt surprise me, its a well known phenomenon.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copycat_suicide ,& i feel perhaps that the reporting of the story has contributed to the ongoing instances of copycat tragedies.. whatever the case RIP to the two sisters my thoughts are with their family .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

muffler wrote: »
    I'm seldom stuck for words but I am today. I cant even imagine the grief and pain the family must be experiencing. Sad, sad day.

Mod hat on: There is no evidence of bullying and I would ask that people refrain from speculating any further or posting comments to that effect.

Well said Muffler. I fear that that this poor girl simply missed her sister and could not cope any other way. Its a very tragic event
    and simply shocking hearing this latest news of a grief stricken family.

RIP, and condolances to the her family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

It is unthinkable to try and put oneself in the shoes of the parents. To lose a child must be absolute hell and unbearable, to lose another in such a short space of time, there are no possible words to even say that might console or bring comfort to that poor family and my heart goes out to them. My thoughts and prayers are with them at this sad, sad time. May them little girls rest in peace together, no more can be said.

Ok, we (the mod's) have decided that this thread be closed for another day (it may be re-opened at a later date if people wish).

There has been a thread opened for condolences and some posts moved to there from this thread. A few of the posts, although some might be valid discussions, are better left for a discussion at a later date (my own earlier post included to an extent) when more details are known to stop speculation / mud slinging.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement