Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible bloat??

Options
  • 29-10-2012 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Not sure but I have just come home from a wedding in the UK.

Friend of mine has been feeding my tanks.

Pics below but none of the fish in any of my tanks were happy when I came in.
    My paroon shark looks like bloat, he was fine when I fed him on thursday morning. My green terror had lost his colour and my severums are hiding and same with the JD's.

Bala shark and xxl gourami are the only fish present.

Over feeding??

2012-10-29014115.jpg
    2012-10-29014117.jpg
    2012-10-29014129.jpg
    2012-10-29014134.jpg
    2012-10-29014135.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Turns out my danios, firemouth cichlid and a few others are missing.

So he ate them hence the swelling...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Do you think he was underfed then or was he just waiting for a chance to eat them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

buzz wrote: »
    Turns out my danios, firemouth cichlid and a few others are missing.

So he ate them hence the swelling...:(

Allo,

Danios don't mix well with cichlids, and sharks don't either: http://www.aquariumlife.net/fishcomp.asp

A rule of thumb: A fish will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth. My guess is your Bala is too big to live peacefully with the rest of the inhabitants, may be time to bring him back to the shop and swap him for a younger model. Most shops do a swap for credit service.

Condolences though.

I once brought home some lovely shrimp, and the next day i found bits of shell everywhere and a suspiciously fat and smug looking Killiefish.....

Learned my lesson, and now i make sure everything is compatible before i add anything to my tanks.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Allo,

Danios don't mix well with cichlids, and sharks don't either: http://www.aquariumlife.net/fishcomp.asp

A rule of thumb: A fish will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth. My guess is your Bala is too big to live peacefully with the rest of the inhabitants, may be time to bring him back to the shop and swap him for a younger model. Most shops do a swap for credit service.

Condolences though.

I once brought home some lovely shrimp, and the next day i found bits of shell everywhere and a suspiciously fat and smug looking Killiefish.....

Learned my lesson, and now i make sure everything is compatible before i add anything to my tanks.

Firstly, that was a Paroon shark not a bala, big difference...
    Something similar to this

pangasius_sanitwongsei_adult_2.jpg
    The danio's were originally in the tank to help cycle, and just left them as I had no room in other tanks (different water requirements to my other tanks).

Fully understand the rule of thumb rule, but he ate a firemouth cichlid very similar in size to him. I have since spoken to friends that have kept Paroons and all had to rehome after they ate everything in their tank:(

Mine has been re homed and is currently in a large tank In Aquavillage.

I knew he would out grow my 450L tank within a year or so, and really loved the way he swam around like a minature great white:p

But didnt think he would get so agressive so young, ie less than 4 months old and maybe 4inchs in size

Oh well.

Do you think he was underfed then or was he just waiting for a chance to eat them?

Id say my friend who was looking after my house while I was away "forgot" to feed them and he got very hungry.

I was told though that when a Paroon or pangasius shark get a taste for live fish, its very hard to get them back to pellets! So had to move him before he gobbled on the rest..

• Advertisement
Advertisement