Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landed in Tasmania, need harvest work ASAP, where do I head?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So, the grade is running low. Can't afford to piss around. Is there a good working hostel anywhere? Which town should I go to? I can't drive. I'm not looking to make a fortune, just secure my Visa, not get messed around, and not live in an absolute dump.

Help, please.
    And mods, this isn't a wanted ad, I know about gumtree, it's just advice I'm wanting. Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

NamedUser wrote: »
    Landed in Tasmania, need harvest work ASAP, where do I head?
    You do realise that it is spring in Australia and presumably harvest opportunities are limited?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

What brought you to Tassy?
    Don't know much about the place work wise only what I read here and other places, but from talking to people and reading the interwebs I get the impression that there isn't a whole lot of work oppurtunities in Tas.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

North of Hobart should be coming into cherries soon and strawberries under cover (polytunnel) There may be some potato harvesting coming up too.
    South of Hobart is apple country but they won't need harvesting until January onwards.

Besides that, head for Burnie and surrounds. It's dairy country. So very early starts etc and some find it very hard work.
    Without a car is a big disadvantage and hostels are mostly right in Hobart, Launceston etc so you would need to get accom on the farm if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NamedUser

Well, I figured I'd die with the heat any further north in the summer. I'm hoping to get some Hospitality work to tide me over til the harvest season kicks in proper if I can't get anything. Dairy work is fairly regular too as Coopersdale says I reckon, I'm looking on gumtree for that. Also, I reckon it couldn't hurt to arrive here before the jobs and working Hostels are filled? Foolish? Meh. Well I'm here now.
    So, noone has any knowledge of the working hostels here? anyone had any good experiences picking on Tas?

Advertisement