Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

f***in' upc remote control

• 29-10-2012 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

is it just me or are they the worst control ever?it never reads what u are pressing til its too late,i.e. u want say,number 407,press it on remote but it only registers the 7,then automatically goes to page 100 where craig f****ng doyle is saying how easy on demand on upc is,the annoying tit!As for the on demand,that just seems to turn itself on when it chooses and takes an eternity to get back to the tv grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

gdavis wrote: »
    is it just me or are they the worst control ever?it never reads what u are pressing til its too late,i.e. u want say,number 407,press it on remote but it only registers the 7,then automatically goes to page 100 where craig f****ng doyle is saying how easy on demand on upc is,the annoying tit!As for the on demand,that just seems to turn itself on when it chooses and takes an eternity to get back to the tv grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

You need to seduce it first OP.

Alcohol,, flattering words, and a water based lube, that'll sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Drives me bananas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ghandee wrote: »
    You need to seduce it first OP.

Alcohol,, flattering words, and a water based lube, that'll sort it.

The sky remote seduces you. It's a filthy little bitch, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

same here the remote is awful. never recognises the buttons you press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭mongol

I thought it was just me. Occassionally does work for almost three digits in a row so long as it's pointed at 31 to 34.5 degree to a mirror the opposite end of the room every second Tuesday. It will not work when pointed directly at the box from any distance. Remote must be held gangsta shooty styley. Unfortunately on demand is not available in my area yet according to the message meaning it's not available in Dublin city yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Every fifth channel change it goes back to page 100. I hate it with a passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

That's why I hardly ever use it. Apparently some TVs interfere with how the remote works. In my case if my TV has just been turned on, the UPC remote takes about five minutes before it starts working properly, something to do with power save mode on my TV. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

or then there are the times when it just freezes for no apparent reason and u think that maybe if u press the buttons as hard as u can while shouting obscenities at it it will somehow work,which,incidentally it doesnt,so u have to press the power button on it to knock it off and then wait for ever for it to rejig itself thus usually missing goal/cliffhanger ending/main part of movie etc. drives me f*ckin barmy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I went through 5 of them in two years. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yep they are fairly crap alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I told UPC i was cancelling.
    He asked why.
    "Because your hardware is shiite".
    Offered me half price UPC.
    "youd wanna be paying me for using those remotes!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

It is indeed a piece of ****. impossible to get out of some of the menus. also why does ****ing rte/tv3 player keep activating when u are trying to watch something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

I phoned up to complain about and they told me I would have to pay the shipping to ship it to limerick for them.

Like I have paid UPC for 5 years don't be greedy ***** and just replace the ****ty remote thats cheap ****ty because it's cheap.

Some of they're staff have serious attitude problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sky FTW....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Mine gets confused at times and decides I must have pressed '5'. Always 5, never any other number. And that of course brings me back to the craig doyle channel (a phrase which sends shivers down my spine).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Wow, I always thought it was just me doing something wrong. Great to know it really is a crap remote.

Still prefer it to Sky, at least I can pause and record on ITV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭hipdoobloon

Agree with all the above comments that the remote is ****e but something that helps is by turning off the power saving option in the the tv menu as it stops the interference between the UPC remote / UPC digibox and the tv . Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's caused.by IR interference which is as a result of the back lighting in the telly. Close the curtains and take a picture of your tv. The glow around the tv is the cause of this. A new remote won't solve your problem.
    Move the Box as far away from the tv as possible. Block channel 100 in the settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Fuppin hate UPC. Between that numpty craig "cardboard" doyle, the asthetically displeasing box and a stupid remote control that requires a battery change every week....I should have stuck with Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

quickbeam wrote: »
    Still prefer it to Sky, at least I can pause and record on ITV.

Could do that on FTA satellite too if ITV bothered to show something decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It may be the frequency of the ir used or it has a lower power output which is designed to save batterys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Poxy tv provider. If I pull up the TV guide, it takes all fúckin night to see what's on. When I press the page down button it doesn't change the page, so in press it s couple more times in frustration and it shoots down about ten pages and then bang...........Craig fúckin Doyle again.
    I only keep UPC around for their broadband. The TV service is tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm a recent convert to UPC myself. It's bloody terrible :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The remote is fcuking stupid, every time I'm using it I have to look at it to make sure it's not upside down.

The TV guide is hideously slow

The record function never works properly, if I have two programmes in a row set to record on any channel it won't record the second one

Craig Doyle is a prick

The remote is unresponsive at the best of times and Info TV makes me want to smash the box

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nazaca1

Is there anyway to change it so that f****ng twat doyle doesnt show up everytime I press a fecking number he shows up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Nazaca1 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to change it so that f****ng twat doyle doesnt show up everytime I press a fecking number he shows up
    Yes, go to guide,press the green button for settings,scroll down to lock/unlock. Then scroll to channel 100 and hit the yellow button. Enter your code,hit ok and never have to see that fückwit again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

this is the way it goes for me usually (for example when going to Film 4): *press 3* *press 2* *skips straight back to upc bull**** "we're so awesome" channel* *throw remote across the room while spitting expletives*
    nobody does tv like UPC, and I mean nobody... because it's ****e...

also... the annoying, cheaply made trailers for the movies and stuff on the on demand channel... how irritating are they!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Happens with me too.

I forgive them however because I have free ESPN and 30 MB broadband.

yeah the broadband is pretty good alright, i'll give 'em that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

yeah the broadband is pretty good alright, i'll give 'em that

Except for it lacks consistent uptime. It seems to be down every second week. Not acceptable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I hope that a special place has been reserved in hell for the designers of the UPC tv box for the torment they have inflicted on us with that ****ty, non-responsive box.

We went for the TV/internet/phone bundle for a year and when renewal came up this year we dropped the TV aspect of it. The box was so frustrating that neither myself nor my housemate could justify a meagre €5 or so a month to keep it. Heck! I would have anticipated that my frustration with it cost more than €5 a month in damages so no ****ing way was I paying for that privilege!

Who designed this thing and what joke were they playing on the world? It would have taken 2 minutes of testing the box to discover 90% of the problems.
    1) Press the change channel button and it hangs. You press it again and it still hangs. One more press and wham! Jumps 15 channels
    2) That ****ing awful EPG which is slow as ****!

and finally

3) If I am paying for Channel 4 or E4 or whatever, then please give me the ****ing Channel 4 + 1 channel for free. It is scabby to charge extra for someone to receive the +1 channels! Sure I could record the program I missed and watch it an hour later instead but since the EPG is awful it invariably misses either the first 5 minutes or last 5 minutes of the show I wanted to watch.

**** you UPC!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

D-Generate wrote: »
    I hope that a special place has been reserved in hell for the designers of the UPC tv box for the torment they have inflicted on us with that ****ty, non-responsive box.

We've had to get it replaced twice in the last couple of weeks because the dam thing keeps losing connection.

Pain in the tits because they've no way to transfer recordings / scheduled recordings to the next box.

Fúcking hate it when someone thinks their product is so perfect that there's no chance of failure, so they won't put in a way to transfer user settings.

I see a similar attitude in work with a product one of my clients have. There's zero thought put into the impact on the customer if something goes wrong with a service currently in testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

gdavis wrote: »
    or then there are the times when it just freezes for no apparent reason and u think that maybe if u press the buttons as hard as u can while shouting obscenities at it it will somehow work,which,incidentally it doesnt,so u have to press the power button on it to knock it off and then wait for ever for it to rejig itself thus usually missing goal/cliffhanger ending/main part of movie etc. drives me f*ckin barmy

This has been the case for umpteen years, going back to the time cable first came out. Unreal that they still have not fixed the freezing channel problem, 25+ years and counting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's not the best, but it has something that makes it superior to the Sky remote; when you press the yellow button it'll take you back to the last channel you were on, great if you're flicking between two programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I thought it was just me. Damm thing is annoying.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Your all holding it wrong!

I have no problems with my upc remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Mine has gotten increasingly cock eyed as the time has passed. It started with me having to point it just ever so slightly left of the box for it to work, i now have to point it at the fúcking light switch roughly 90 degrees to the damn thing:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Hate them with a passion. Switched to Sky, and as sad as it sounds, it's changed my life for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Your all holding it wrong!

I have no problems with my upc remote.
    Steve Jobs? Is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Steve Jobs? Is that you?

No its craig doyle and if you all watched channel 100 maybe you would know how to use the remotes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

I went through 5 of them in two years. :mad:

I've gone through 5 in 6 months and the one I have now is a 6 year old refurb that randomly reboots, switches itself on/off and on occasion will just decide to completely wipe itself and have to be setup from scratch.

The EPG is horrendously slow and will regularly take 20-30 seconds to appear, then crawl through the listings.

UPC's broadband is awesome but their TV is utterly useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

For the sake of my family's health, the contents of my house and anything remotely breakable within 200 yard radius of me - I got rid of UPC TV. To call their TV service a service is an insult to the word service.

I could't believe how BAD it actually was. It was worse than the days of chorus twelve/fifteen years ago - with the random channel outages. It is damn impressive how bad their tv service is - it is hard to imagine it actually being worse. And then compared to the broadband which is incredible.

I couldn't hack it any longer - happily paid the charge to get out of the contract & got back SKY *joy* *joy of joys* - *sings hallelujah skipping into the distance*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

No its craig doyle and if you all watched channel 100 maybe you would know how to use the remotes. :D

Ah Craig. If I watched channel 100, I'd make myself eat the remote.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So guys, what do you really think about their tv service? :D

I had it a couple of years back, only have broadband / phone now. Was told by them that it was much improved. Guess not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

kylith wrote: »
    It's not the best, but it has something that makes it superior to the Sky remote; when you press the yellow button it'll take you back to the last channel you were on, great if you're flicking between two programmes.

Blue button on a Sky HD box does that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Using that remote is like playing TV Channel roulette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

I was trying to record a series on Discovery, but I was instead redirected to Craig Doyle's 24 hour info channel. I wasn't paying too much attention, so i just rushed through the "record all" options on the record.

Next week i was looking through my recorded programmes trying to find Mythbusters. Instead, my memory is almost full with 168 hours of that gob****e speaking non stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭board_stiff

ken wrote: »
    Yes, go to guide,press the green button for settings,scroll down to lock/unlock. Then scroll to channel 100 and hit the yellow button. Enter your code,hit ok and never have to see that fückwit again.

This imo deserves post of the day if it works. Will try it when I get home.

One thing I know I will be asking is what is the code you have to enter?
    Have the box for about 4 years so there's no way I remember setting up a code.
    Hopefully it will be the default 0000.
    Here's some info on the pin code which may be useful - http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/391/~/change-customer-pin-code

How much would life change for the better living in a Craig Doyle free world?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement