Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools and Creches

Options
  • 29-10-2012 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,

My husband and I are moving back to Galway from New Zealand in August and we will have a 5 year old daughter that needs to start school and an 18 month old son that will need a creche. I'd love to know what the best primary schools and creches in the area are. We'd like to settle in Knocknacarra we think...depending on the best schools ect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, do you remember what Galway was like when you left? Dunno how long ago that was, but maybe it's grown since then.

Anyways, if you have a 5yo who's not already on a waiting list and want to move to the city, then forget the bit about "best" and focus on "has a place and is willing to accept him/her".

Also, are you Catholic(ish) - were the kids baptised? If so, make sure you bring certs for the kids, as these will help in some circumstances.

Maybe try the Galway section of rollercoaster.ie, there are more people with youngs kids hang out there.

Sorry for the harsh awakening, and good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tscall

It's been 6 years since we lived in Galway. I know things haven't been great, but we're moving back nonetheless.

We are catholic and so are the kids, so at least that bit shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check the site you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

My daughter goes to www.scoilide.com in Salthill. We live in Knocknacara too. There are 19 in her class. The school is secure and well run.

Knocknacarra Primary School is another option. It is a brand new building.

Send me a private message of you have any questions.

Thanks for the tip Paddyfield. I might send you a message when I have a few more questions. The Irish school system is new to me since I'm not Irish, and my husband who has been through the system doesn't know what to do to get enrolled either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Also, are you Catholic(ish) - were the kids baptised? If so, make sure you bring certs for the kids, as these will help in some circumstances.
    it's a shame and a disgrace that this should make any difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

McTigs wrote: »
    it's a shame and a disgrace that this should make any difference
    It is but let's stay on the recommend places topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

What part of the City are you going to be living in? If it is Salthill or Knocknacarra try either Scoil Rois or Scoil ide both have secondary schools attached to them.

tscall wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip Paddyfield. I might send you a message when I have a few more questions. The Irish school system is new to me since I'm not Irish, and my husband who has been through the system doesn't know what to do to get enrolled either!

What to do to get them enrolled is to ring up the principal (now) and make enquiries about places and waiting lists.

It might help if your husband makes the call, since he will have the "right" accent. (This too is a shame and a disgrace, but I believe it to be true, YMMV.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Well forget about the Gaelscoileanna anyway as the waiting lists there start when kids are months old!
    We will be sending our daughter to Scoil Ide most likely. Our son will start there too hopefully but move to St.Pat's after 1st class. That's the plan anyway!
    Have heard mixed reports about Knocknacarra school. Scoil Róis is supposed to be good too. I went there and was good then but I'm gone over 20 yrs now!
    I've also heard very mixed reports about Scoil Iognáid. Daughter's name is down there but not going to bother putting son's name down as am pretty sure we are not now going to consider it as an option.
    If you live in the Dangan/Bushypark area then consider Bushypark NS. It has a great name. Likewise Boleybeg is meant to be good and is close to Knocknacarra and the good thing is that both of these schools are mixed.

What to do to get them enrolled is to ring up the principal (now) and make enquiries about places and waiting lists.

It might help if your husband makes the call, since he will have the "right" accent. (This too is a shame and a disgrace, but I believe it to be true, YMMV.)

Whoops. Someone just had a falshback to the 1950's.

• Advertisement

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Whoops. Someone just had a falshback to the 1950's.

It's been my experience that having the right (ie Irish) accent makes a difference. I've heard similar from other immigrants (remember the OP has told us that she's not Irish).

Glad that your experience has been different.

It's been my experience that having the right (ie Irish) accent makes a difference. I've heard similar from other immigrants (remember the OP has told us that she's not Irish).

Glad that your experience has been different.

My daughter is in a school which has an annual celebration of its' multi national mixture. In her class, there are kids who are from British, Nigerian, Polish, American and Spanish families. All of them are learning to speak Irish too,

If you have reason to believe that any school has a racist agenda, you should report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Have heard mixed reports about Knocknacarra school.

I'd be curious to know what you've heard. My son is in Sr Infants and my daughter will be going there next year. We've been impressed so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I've also heard very mixed reports about Scoil Iognáid. Daughter's name is down there but not going to bother putting son's name down as am pretty sure we are not now going to consider it as an option.
    Nothing wrong with it that I'm aware of. My son is being well looked after and he has several cousins there doing very well. Never heard a bad word yet.

Difficult enough to get into which is a problem for some.

Which reminds me, must go and collect the little man!

Thanks guys. It looks like I have some calls to make, and don't worry Mrs OBumble, I've been married to an Irish man long enough I think I pull off a very convincing accent if needs be, but the way I speak was never a problem when I lived there before, so I think we'll be ok.

It may be a silly question, but what is junior and senior infants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

tscall wrote: »
    It may be a silly question, but what is junior and senior infants?

Take a read, starting with "In School" section: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/going_to_primary_school/primary_education_life_event.html

Advertisement